[OBSOLETE] Battery Operated 3 Toggle Switch for wallmount or table top use (SmartenIT ZBWS3B) [DEPRECATED: STOPPED WORKING IN 2018]

Each button controller smartapp instance can only be associated with one device. This is true whether it is the minimote, securifi key fob, the smartenIT 3 toggle, whatever.

Fortunately, you can have multiple copies of a smart app. :sunglasses:

So just follow the instructions a second time for the second device, but change the name of the smartapp to be something else just so you can tell them apart.

Theyā€™ll both work fine.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! After going to Marketplace -> SmartApps tab -> More to select ā€œButton Controllerā€, then clicking ā€œInstallā€ to install the Button Controller for my second device, it worked just fine. I didnā€™t find any place where I can change the name of the SmartApp though, so I have two ā€œButton Controllerā€ showing up in my list of Smartapps that are being used by My Thingsā€¦ But this is fineā€¦ when I click Button Controller, the first screen shows up tells me which device that Button Controller is associated with. Thanks again!

1 Like

This didnā€™t work for me. I added the device, set it to the custom device handler, hit the ā€œConfigureā€ button from the custom Device Handler screen, and hereā€™s where I am:

I can view the switch in the ST app and it shows three buttons as ā€œreleased.ā€ Pressing any buttons on the switch doesnā€™t change the ā€œreleasedā€ text to anything; should it say ā€œpushedā€ or something similar? I set up Button Controller to work with it but it doesnā€™t work. After I hit the Configure button, this was the only output I got:

info: Sending ZigBee Bind commands to 3 Button Switch
debug: Binding SEP 0x01 DEP 0x01 Cluster 0x0006 On/Off cluster to hub

Should there have been more output here? Is my switch supposed to blink when I push a button (because it doesnā€™t)? Maybe I got a faulty unit? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: got it going. I used the bind procedure instead of the join procedure. Just to reiterate whatā€™s already been said in here before, donā€™t use the program button to associate it with SmartThings!

Iā€™ve had a couple of these for a while and they work ok. I have them in places where my lighting is either mostly automated or I can use Alexa instead of a switch so I donā€™t have to use the buttons very often but I notice that when I do I usually have to hit the button twice to get it to trigger an event if I havenā€™t used it pretty recently. Does anyone else have this problem?

Iā€™m guessing that the device goes to sleep to conserve battery. The first press wakes up the button and the second push executes.

I agree, but since no one else has mentioned that they experience this behavior Iā€™m trying to figure out why Iā€™m seeing this.

This is the response from SmartenIT, basically what I expected:

Because the 3 button switch is an ā€œend deviceā€, which means it goes to sleep periodically to conserve the batteriesā€¦it may need to be ā€œwoken upā€ with a press from time to time. This would result in having to press it again for it to do anything. This is pretty standard on ZigBee end devices.

@JDRoberts I think you use these pretty extensively and given your attention to detail Iā€™m surprised you never mentioned it. Do you experience this behavior also?

I havenā€™t noticed it. It likely just depends on how frequently it gets used.

Right. Mine get used maybe once per day or every few days even so Iā€™m guessing the sleep logic doesnā€™t impact most other folks who use these more often.

1 Like

Mike, just curious. Do you know if your 3 button switch is using the hub as its parent or some other ZigBee router? If its not I wonder if it would work better if you move it closer to the hub. I have seen some remote battery powered devices get dropped (orphaned and have to go through a reconnect process) by some ZigBee routers. However, if they are using the SmartThings hub as a parent they seem to be much more reliable.

Just thought I would ask.

1 Like

@JDRoberts I swear you must live in the server. Your so quick with the responses!!

Good question, for what itā€™s worth, mine are one in the same room with the hub and one one room over, so likely using it as the parent.

1 Like

Good question. I guess Iā€™d have to mess with it and analyze the logs to figure that out for sure, but I donā€™t have very many powered (repeater-enabled) zigbee devices and one switch is about 15 feet from the hub. However, directly under the floor from that one in the basement is a powered v1 ST motion sensor so it could be routing through that.

Yea its a pain to determine all that. It may be best to just live with the extra click every now and then.

Well this is interestingā€¦It looks like the presses are getting to ST. I bet itā€™s sending both when I press the switch for the second time.

I would like to thank you for all the time you put into this tutorial. I know iā€™m a little late to this game but I was hoping you might be able to help with me with a few problems.

The first was steps 14-16. I believe My Device Types may have been renamed to My Device Handlers, but I wasnā€™t sure because you referenced My Device Handlers previous in stop 7 so I wasnā€™t sure. Regardless I cannot find where to complete those steps.

Second in the current version I do not believe I can install the SmartApp unless the app recognized a comparable hardware already installed that will support the app.

Any help would be so so greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Smartthings has changed terminology from time to time. All of the following mean the same thing and they are all used in the forums.

Device type (DT)
Device type handler (DTH)
Device Handler (DH)

As for your second question, you can install the code for a smartapp or a device type handler regardless of whether you have any devices that will use it or not. Just make sure you were putting the code in to the right place. Device type handlers are installed into ā€œmy device handlers.ā€

Smartapps are installed into ā€œmy smartapps,ā€ at least as of this writing.

The custom code F AQ covers the basic concepts, in case you want to review those:

I apologize for the novice sounding question. Iā€™m embarrassed that the reason I couldnā€™t figure out Step 14 was because my web browser wasnā€™t opened wide enough because I had your tutorial taking up half the screen and the IDE setup on the other. The location section was hid as a result.

I however am still a little stuck at the SmartApp. I was able to install the SmartApp via the IDE and I went though the simulator settings of the app from the IDE and set each button to a corresponding light.

The mobile app sees the switch as a thing and recognizes each button press as open or closed. I installed the App via the IDE and it shows up under My Apps, but I cannot associate it with the switch in things. It just sticks with No Installed SmartApps.

Is there any advice you can give me?

I very much appreciate your time.

If you set the settings in the simulator, theyā€™ll only work in the simulator, not in real life.

Which smart app are you using?

If you use the button controller smart app as I recommend in post one, you donā€™t need to install it through the IDE.

Instead, you will install it from inside the official SmartThings mobile app.

One) open the mobile app

Two) select the marketplace icon at the bottom right

Three) tap on the smart apps tab at the top right of the screen. This will display a list of available smart apps that do not have to be installed through the IDE.

Four) scroll down until you get to the ā€œmoreā€ section and tap that.

Five) you should see the button controller smart app there. Just select it and follow the installation wizard to set up the smartenIT 3 toggle

If youā€™re using a different button controller app (there are several) then you might have to install that one through the IDE. Then you would need to follow the instructions in the custom code FAQ.

Thats actually the trouble I had originally. When I hit next it wonā€™t actually let my proceed. I get that error.