Automaton to have Alexa announcements

Has any one had any luck with announcements on a alexa device? I have tied in a smartdry sensor to smart things. I just wanted Alexa to say the dryer is done on one device. Seems like a simple automation but it did not work. Smartthings let me know the clothes are dry so I know the sensor integration is working right. Any ideas?

This used to work just fine, but when they released the new smartthings skill it broke. It’s still broken. :disappointed_relieved: Smartthings engineering is aware of the issue and is working on it, but there’s no timeline for a fix. The problem is erratic and things have been changing while they are working on it so sometimes it works and then it breaks again. We just need to wait for the official announcement which will probably be in the following thread:

New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020) - #792 by JDRoberts

There is an alternative method using a third-party skill which is detailed in that thread, but the set up is more complicated.

1 Like
1 Like

Voicemonkey

Like I said, there’s an alternative method, but it’s miles more complex. :thinking:

Yup, what JD said! I have mine setup to announce “A vehicle is in the driveway” when my driveway alarm trips. (it’s 250 feet long). Used to work very reliably, but with the new skill it’s just “hit or miss”. Just going to give them some time before I start going for a workaround.