SmartThings Community

Automations for thermostat not working

I’m not sure how long it hasn’t been working but I just noticed it because the weather is starting to get cold. Anyone else having this issue?

What kind of Thermostat do you have? There’s already a thread started on a particular Honeywell kind. You need to get in contact with technical support if you haven’t already done so. The more people that know about this, the more seriously they will take it.

Ecobee smart si

You can track down the issue, open your IDE -> Click on Locations -> Click on SmartApps, open the SmartApp you don’t think us running and you can see the past history of scheduled actions and the next scheduled action.

If it’s a platform issue you’ll see it here. If not are you sure your thermostat is communicating properly with the hub/platform?

Maybe @yvesracine can shed some light on potential Ecobee issues.

Hi @trevorlamont,

I assume that you’re using the ST stock device using ecobeeConnect under Marketspace.

And, I’m pretty sure that you’ve lost your auth tokens as your thermostat is not responsive.

As the ST stock device doesn’t provide good tracing, you’d need to go under the IDE to see what’s going on.

  • Go to live logging:

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/logs (or whatever shard you’re using)

  • Click at the top of the screen on the Ecobee device

  • Under the ST mobile app, hit the “refresh” tile in the device (to determine if the thermostat can refresh)

  • Look at the trace in the logs under the IDE, if you see, the following exception:

    error groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request

This means that you’ve lost your auth tokens, and you need to re-login at ecobee using ecobeeConnect.

The ST stock device is less resilient than the custom ecobee device that I’ve built over the last 3 years and
has less features.

Refer to this thread for your “upgrade”:

Regards.

I didn’t see that specific error. This is wierd though. When I run the automation manually it says this.

Shouldn’t it say target heating setpoint 72 under alter setpoint?

You’re using the ‘auto’ mode, you’d need to specify a mininum of 3-degree difference between your cooling and heating setpoints; otherwise, ecobee will automatically adjusts the setpoints to set the minimum difference.

The deltas can also be configured under the thermostat menu (Heat/Cool Min Delta).

Regards.

1 Like

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by auto mode? I set my thermostat to either heat mode or cool mode depending on the season. Is that what you mean? It’s always worked fine but all of a sudden it hasn’t worked.

Well, based on the logs, the thermostat is updating both the cooling & heating setpoints…

So, my assumption was that your thermostat was in auto mode. So, if you’re saying that your thermostat is either in cool or heat mode, I really don’t know what’s going on.

Do you have a SmartThings or a Samsung account?

I know that I had to change some code for the new Samsung accounts.

Anyway, you should consider My Ecobee device… You wouldn’t not have such issues.

EDIT: you should contact ST support for your issue. It’s their code after all.

Good luck.

@trevorlamont Were you ever able to figure out your issue with the heating setpoint? I’ve been having the same problem as you where the logs are spitting out what appears to be the same issue you are having:

alterSetpoint succeed to change setpoints:[targetHeatingSetpoint:69, targetCoolingSetpoint:74.0]
942b6844-c2c8-47ab-b7a0-132070c21803 7:56:53 PM: debug ***setCoolingSetpoint(75)
942b6844-c2c8-47ab-b7a0-132070c21803 7:56:53 PM: debug ***setHeatingSetpoint(69)

The setCoolingSetpoint and setHeatingSetpoint are what I have set in my automation, but the targets are what it changes the Ecobee to. In this case the Cooling setpoint is off by 1 degree, but this was just a test I setup just to run the thermostat. I’ve seen numbers different in both the targetHeating and targetCooling.

I did get this fixed by using a different smartapp by SANdood. It had me manually use the ecobee connect when I installed it. It seemed to fix my issue. [RELEASE] The Best FREE Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps - Now with Ask Alexa Message Queue Support, and an Enhanced User Experience!