Automation Issues with Lutron Caseta Switches

Tagging onto this thread, since I discovered this same dimming problem affecting ST scenes and automations on both of my Caseta wall dimmers (thankfully, I have only two).

This is definitely a recent issue, didn’t start happening until sometime in the past few weeks.

Today I relinked the Lutron service and devices in the ST app, no change, in fact it seems potentially worse.

Examining at the History page for these dimmers, it appears ST scene invocations are sending On, 100%, and dimmer % commands in random order, in fact I just had two in a row like this, starting from off:

01:11 PM Dimmer 100%
01:11 PM Switch On
01:11 PM Dimmer 24% ==> Light ended up here, at 24%

01:12 PM Dimmer 24%
01:12 PM Dimmer 100% ==> Light ended up here, at 100%
01:12 PM Dimmer 24%

From this, I’m uncertain whether there’s any correlation between how the ST scene commands appear in History vs. how they are sent by ST to, or executed by, the Lutron smart bridge.

Is anyone here in active conversation with ST support at this time on this?

I have found a decent workaround, possible because I also use Google Home connected to SmartThings.

Now, I use Google Home compound custom commands to set dim levels for Lutron devices in conjunction with my ST automations, and only rely on ST to control non-Lutron devices.

Interestingly, these Google Home custom commands control my Lutron dimmers indirectly via SmartThings, since I don’t have Lutron directly linked into Google Home. This indicates the new dimming bug is in how SmartThings sequences scene and automation commands to Lutron devices, since discrete dimmer set commands appear to work fine, whether invoked within the SmartThings app, or externally from Google Home.

2 Likes

I have been experiencing the automation issue with ST and my Lutron Caseta devices for quite some time now and recently noticed I also lost the ability to respond to Lutron events and status changes with ST. I’ve been following this forum for a while and finally decided to remove and add the Lutron integration back after seeing how successful that has been repairing the Lutron event/status changes in ST and can also confirm this works!

This was not desirable nor at all fun since I have so many Lutron Caseta devices. It’s frustrating that this integration works this poorly considering Lutron Caseta is one of the most reliable and recommended smart home solutions when it comes to lighting control. I have many other smart home devices from several other leading and generic brands all integrated with ST and Alexa; the ST Lutron integration is the only part of my entire system that is not rock solid and reliable.

I didn’t have much confidence the work to re-integrate Lutron with ST would fix the issues with ST automations and scenes regarding unreliable dim levels and I can confirm this is still an issue.

I finally had enough and took inspiration from Eric_G5 and moved all of my Lutron devices from ST automations and scenes to Lutron scenes. I want to continue to leverage ST as my primary hub as much as possible so I still use the Lutron integration so I can take advantage of responding to Lutron device changes from ST and triggering other non-Lutron device automations. Now, anytime I create a scene in ST I also create a corresponding scene in Lutron and append “LT” to each one. My solution also relies on Simulated Alexa switches (How to Trigger Alexa Routines with Anything From SmartThings! - YouTube) so I can continue to manage automations with ST. With this configuration, ST automations now trigger a scene in ST and enable the Simulated Alexa switch. An Alexa routine reponds to this simulated switch event and triggers the Lutron Scene followed by toggling the Simulated switch to “reset” it so it can be used again. I also enable voice commands by a separate routine in Alexa that triggers both the LT scene and the ST scene.

In the end, this is admittedly more complex than I would prefer but it absolutely works and is completely reliable! It takes some time configuring all the connections and integrations but once that is done, any changes to dimming or devices in respective scenes are simple and painless. As an added bonus of using the scenes in Lutron, the scenes and dim level changes are smooth and natural with Lutron’s ability to control the “fade” or transition from one state to the next.

Hope this helps in one way or another. I’m happy with this solution for now but will consider moving everything back to ST if this issue ever gets resolved.

2 Likes

If you are having issues with the Smartthings APP not refreshing the status of Lutron devices then I found a solution without having to disconnect Lutron from Smartthings.
So instead of disconnecting from Smartthings, you will have to go to Lutron App > Settings > Advanced > Integration > Connections > Smartthings and then click in “Remove SmartThings from xxxx”, once you do that, wait untill Smartthings sees that is disconnected from Lutron, its not instant, it can take a minute.
Open Smartthings and go to > Menu > Settings (Gear icon, top right), Linked Services and tap Lutron, it will ask for credentials, log in with your Lutron information.

PD: This will not delete anything from SmartThings.

3 Likes

I have been working with ST support for a few weeks (posted above) and finally got this from them this morning after prompting them due to a 10 day no response period:

Thank you for contacting Samsung SmartThings Support.

I am writing this in regards to your query on Automation ignoring settings with Lutron. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I checked the issue and see that the Lutron Caseta integration was migrated from an older, Groovy SmartApp to a newer Cloud to Cloud integration. The new Cloud to Cloud integration handles commands to turn on and set level on a Lutron device differently than before on the Lutron side of things.

This needs to be checked with the Lutron developers team for which causing this and our team is already working on it. We do not have an ETA of when this will be resolved with the update but we will assure you that this will be addressed in the coming app updates soon. You’ll get notified through app when the fix will be released.

Meanwhile, your patience is highly appreciated.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Like

I found a work around.

Short version: Use the Smart Lighting app for automations that involve Lutron and it works fine. I am on the new Lutron integration (which did fix the status issue with Lutron devices for me).

Long version: I decided to move as many automations as possible from the Smart Lighting App to the main automations since it seems more integrated, has some benefits (and some drawbacks) and they show up under each device’s list of automations (where the Smart Lighting App ones don’t). I was able to move everything except the Smart Lighting App automations that “mirror” another device as I couldn’t find a way to do that with the main automations. All that being said, the dimming going to 100% started when I made the change. I have now tested both regular automation with dim settings and the Smart Lighting App and can confirm if you use the Smart Lighting App the dimming with automations works perfectly as it only sends the “on” command and “proper dim level” command and no “100% level” command.

If you still have the other issue discussed in this thread (the status issue, which also cautions issues with automations that are triggered by the status of a Lutron device) this process (posted by Diego above) may help. I did the full remove and then had to re-do all my automations. But it did work. Hopefully Diego’s approach works and doesn’t delete the devices.

From Diego: If you are having issues with the Smartthings APP not refreshing the status of Lutron devices then I found a solution without having to disconnect Lutron from Smartthings.
So instead of disconnecting from Smartthings, you will have to go to Lutron App > Settings > Advanced > Integration > Connections > Smartthings and then click in “Remove SmartThings from xxxx”, once you do that, wait until Smartthings sees that is disconnected from Lutron, its not instant, it can take a minute.

Open Smartthings and go to > Menu > Settings (Gear icon, top right), Linked Services and tap Lutron, it will ask for credentials, log in with your Lutron information.

*PD: This will not delete anything from SmartThings.

Great news!!

About a month ago I contacted both Smartthings and Lutron Support. Lutron were quick to acknowledge the issue and to confirm they were working with Smarthings to implement a fix. Later, Smartthings also confirmed they were working with Lutron.

I just got contacted by Lutron Support to let me know they were rolling out an update to the lutron bridge over the next couple of days. I just tried for the fun a couple of scenes that were unusable due to the issue and… 100% success!! Works perfectly for me. Kudos to Lutron team for solving this in a timely manner!

2 Likes

Eric, thanks for this good news update. To clarify, does this cover both the dimming and status reporting problems discussed in this thread?

I’m a bit surprised if the dimming fix requires an update to the Lutron bridge, since that seems more related to how ST sends scene and automation commands, given the Google Home workaround I described above.

Hello Keith,

I don’t have the status reporting issue. This one got fixed by reconnecting/reinstalling the lutron services in the SmartThings app.

The issue I reported and got fixed is the dimming in scenes and automations. I suspected this was on Lutron side, because this issue was with Lutron dimmer only (work fine with my Zigbee bulbs). Additionally, Lutron is responsible to integrate their product into SmartThing and not the other way around. At least I believe it is, and I suspected the issue was with that specific integration and not with the Google or Lutron app integration.

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks. Happily, I also just confirmed that Lutron dimming is working properly again in ST scenes and automations, so I’m back to using those instead of my workaround Google Home routines. Case closed for me.

1 Like