Automation Issues with Lutron Caseta Switches

I have two automations setup to activate a scene in certain rooms each morning. There have been some mornings that a particular Lutron Caseta Dimmer switch turned on, but was not set to the specified dimmer level that the scene should have set.

For example, a switch that is set to turn on at 100% was set a dimmed level this morning, the opposite occurred in another room several days ago, in that scenario it is a room that I manually turn on and off the switch periodically when entering that room outside of the automation times. It is like the automation isn’t running the scene settings? I can look at the history and see where the lights turned on and the scene said it was activated, however, the light certainly wasn’t set to what I specified in the scene? Any input with why these inconsistent settings would occur?

That’s an officially supported device and scenes are one of the official features, so I would contact support and see what they say. :sunglasses:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

I did contact Samsung Support, basically they said the app is new and still some bugs being worked out, suggested I rebuild the scene and automation and if the issue continues to contact them. Using the Lutron Dimmer switches independently should not have any effect not the automations.

1 Like

Has anyone had this issue I initially posted? I am still having this issue and support really didn’t have any answer as to why I am seeing the inconsistent settings on my automations.

You may want to try powering off your lutron bridge for a few seconds and then powering it back on :slight_smile: may help or may not

Hi JKP,

Thanks for your suggestion —- I’ll try anything. It’s been a strange thing since I’ve setup my SmartThings.

I powered off/on my Lutron bridge and the SM hub, it had no effect on the inconsistency. On two different mornings last week, a morning automation set to activate a scene at 7:00 am, did not set two different light switches to 100% (as the scene is set), they were on, but at reduced brightness.

Why on two different days would this occur when the scene is set to run daily and everything should turn on just the same, doesn’t make any sense?

I’m having the same or similar issue. If I look at the History after the Scene runs the Lutron switch shows up with multiple commands changing the dim level multiple times and then sometimes ends at the wrong level. All the non Lutron lights in the scene only have one entry as they should and work correctly.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with the same issue, but at least I’m not the only one as I haven’t been able to get any resolution on this problem.

Periodically when I manually run a scene the devices are set to the programmed settings, however, more frequently I have to run the scene two or three, sometimes four times before the lights all set to what I programmed.

It seems 95% of the time when I have an automation routine setup to execute a scene, the devices are properly set to what I have programmed.

I have tried deleting and setting up a new scene and that has not made any difference with this issue. I hope support can provide a solution with this?

I was formerly a Wink app user and anytime I ran a scene or setting they always worked just fine. Of course that hub would allow me to connect Lutron devices directly to the hub, whereas with SmartThings the Lutron Hub has to be connected to the SM hub. I haven’t paid close attention to some of the non Lutron devices, but the main scenes I run have all Lutron Caseta in-wall or plug-in dimmer switches.

Okay, just worked on one of my automations and here is exactly what it did:

I setup a scene to have two of my patio sconces dim from 20% to 10% from a scene. The lights are set to turn on with all other outside sconces before sunset, I have this scene set to dim these particular two lights 30 minute after sunset. I set it up, the first night it worked just fine.

This evening, the lights came on at 20% as automated, then the scene ran 30 minutes later according to the history, however, they went from 10 to 20, to 10 and back 20 and that is where they stayed when I checked on them an hour later.

I manually ran the scene, I had to tap the scene TWICE before they would dim to 10%.

This is NOT RIGHT and VERY annoying, and unreliable. Support, you need to give us some answers on this type issue —it’s very annoying and defeats the whole point of using your product???

Here is the history of automated scene:

Here is the history of the manual scene I ran an hour later (tap on image to view all of it):

I’ve been having this issue for years, but I never made the connection that it’s only an issue between ST and Lutron. I just thought it was because ST sucks. I would absolutely love if this got fixed. In Google Home I’ve made routines that set the same ST scene 3 times and this usually works but not always. Through the ST app I always have the set a scene at least twice to get the correct dim level on all of my lights.

1 Like

I’ve sort of blamed it on ST as I do have a few Lutron routines setup and they “just work”! I do have some routines with ST that do not involve Lutron controlled devices and they seem to work just fine – so you’re right. I wish there was a solution to this problem, thanks for sharing your experience!

1 Like

Just began having this issue. Anyone find a solution in all this time?

I haven’t, still doesn’t work :disappointed:

I gave up, switched all my devices (compatible ones) to Apple Home — very reliable, routines just work! I have a few devices setup through Homebridge on NAS that integrate into Apple Home.

1 Like

Does Lutron Caseta work with Apple Home?

Yes, Caseta works with Apple HomeKit if your Caseta SmartBridge is new enough. Check the label on the bottom of the SmartBridge. If you need a new one, I’d recommend getting the SmartBridge Pro2, as the Pro model offers more local LAN integration options with systems like Home Assistant and Hubitat Elevation.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! Too bad Samsung doesn’t seem to want to look into this.

Contact ST support and report your issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone noticed that it’s even worse now with the latest updates/localized processing? It used to be that i had to set a scene 2 or 3 times to get everything to the correct level. I literally just sat here and ran the same scene 12 times and never applied correctly.

I’m giving up and throwing this ST hub in the trash. I’ve never used a product that was more garbage than ST. I’ll just configure all my scenes in Google Home…

1 Like