Automating Lighting In spaces where you don’t move much? (e.g. sitting at the computer)

I have been trying to get my Philips hue to work with a motion sensor when I am in front of my computer.

Problem is that I don’t move all that much when I am sitting on a chair in front of my computer, so the motion sensor is not sensitive enough to detect very small movements.

I will be trying to get my lighting and automated in my bathroom too but I am afraid I will have the same problem.

Any idea on how to accomplish this without webcore?

Thanks.

For the computer you may be able to use a smartplug to monitor voltage usage but you’ll still need some way of connecting that information back to the Hue. WebCore would be my choice, but since you’ve ruled that out maybe IFTTT…

Thank you.

However, I don’t wish to use WebCore because when I will be moving out from my parents’ house, I want them to have something easy to play with, whether its to troubleshoot something or just add to existing stuff.

This is a very common issue, and people have handled it in different ways since long before webcore existed, usually by adding different devices, such as a pressure mat for a couch or bed or a vibration sensor for a chair.

Some people find that putting a motion sensor under the desk down low catches enough movement from their feet and legs to keep the sensor active. :athletic_shoe:

You can see what other people have done by looking at the quick browse lists in the community-created wiki, looking down near the bottom of that page for the project reports by room section, and then selecting the lists for bedrooms. :sunglasses:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.phptitle=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

There are also a few on the list for sensor projects, including the following (the topic title is a clickable Link)

I am assuming the issue is that you have the lights set to turn off if no motion right? If that’s the case, also make sure you set the time out long enough that you are more likely to have some motion that triggers in that time window.

I have no familiarity with the Hue sensors, but I have a PEQ Zigbee sensor sitting near my desk and the timeout set to 20 minutes and never have a problem. I would also guess the Iris motion sensors would be sensitive enough to pick up very minute motions, given a reasonable timeout window. In both cases I think the sensor would have to be facing your front and relatively close. That means it can see your arm movements on the mouse and shifting around in your seat.

Thank you sir. Upon testing, I don’t have any problems with lights staying off for now.

However, I am still having problems with the lights using either the night or day routines that I set, even if I specified time of day.

put the motion under your chair