Automatically Lock after X Minutes in Away Mode

Can’t speak for Yale but with Schlage, when enabled, the deadbolt will auto-lock after 30 seconds and there’s no option to change.

Also, Vera doesn’t require a PC. Mine doesn’t anyhow. I have a Vera3 and a Vera Lite (different locations). Both use a cloud service like ST.

You @JDRoberts and @tgauchat are right about the rules engine though. Need that. With my Vera, the rule is simple - once the deadbolt opens, count down 10 minutes and close the darn deadbolt again. It’s mind boggling that something so simple isn’t possible using ST. Ah well.

The Community has stepped up in this regard and should get credit…

Maybe they should all collaborate… Though I’d hate to see their efforts wasted if SmartThings magically encompasses all their features in upcoming version(s).

1 Like

By the Way I managed to get this to work by using the Enhanced Auto Door lock and linking it to an existing door sensor that is typically closed in my house. Wouldn’t work with a fake door sensor that is always closed. Works perfectly this way.

2 Likes

You need a better “fake door sensor” :smiley:

A SmartApp can’t tell the difference between a Virtual Device andva real one, if the code of the Virtual Device is written correctly.

can you please direct me to such excellent fake code please for a closed door sensor?

Sure… I’ll look one up…

But so I can pre-test… Let me know what SmartApp you are using, as well as, perhaps, the Device / code for the virtual contact that you tried already unsuccessfully…

For my fake sensor, I added a device, made up a name and ID, Type: contact sensor capability, published, Location - mine, Hub - mine, Group: HHA

For the smart app, I added the “Enhanced Auto Lock Door” from my supplied options within the app. I never saw the code. My IDE says Smartapp version: Enhanced Auto Lock Door

But no Device Handler code?

It needs some, fairly bare bones, code, but code nevertheless. Ideally, I overload it with a Switch tile so you can toggle the Virtual Contact to be open or closed, but “much” less code to make it always closed…

I think you could use the “Simulated Contact Sensor” which is pre-defined by ST for this.

1 Like

where does that live? I don’t see “Simulated Contact Sensor” in device types or devices templates

@tgauchat oops. I was following instructions I read somewhere. Can you direct me to the right instructions elsewhere? When I go to edit a device, there is no option to see code.

1 Like

When you are in “Create Device” ( https://graph.api.smartthings.com/device/create ), it shows as an option in the Type dropdown.

1 Like

oh that should work. will try

Admittedly new.

Just got a V2 Hub, using the latest app. But for the life of me, I cannot figure how to make a door out of a working lock and sensor to replicate what you are describing here.

Is this still valid in the latest app? Any direction on how to ‘Make a Door’ ?

[quote=“JH1, post:36, topic:18288”]
Is this still valid in the latest app? Any direction on how to ‘Make a Door’ ?
[/quote]Well, I will be re-adding everything in the next day or two*, I can find out if this is still true. It used to happen when you added a lock, and then there was a “know when…” option, which you enabled by adding the contact sensor for the lock on the door. Admittedly it’s unclear to me now which version of the app has/had this - things are pretty rapidly changing :smile:

I’ll post back if I see how to do this with the latest and greatest app and a fresh location.

• sadly, I experienced a hardware failure, and my v2 hub died. You know what, for all the whining I do about the times ST doesn’t work - just trying to go back to the old school days of actually flipping light switches for the past three days has been eye opening. Man, I hate walking into dark rooms at night. Checking if the doors are closed and locked. Turning on (and then off) the outside lights. I’m back to living in the before times. Sigh.
2 Likes

Can someone explain to me what is the purpose of unlocking the door after x seconds. Sadly the non-enhanced versoin of locking the doors has vanished with the tilt sensor for the garage door.

No longer a feature in v2, but you can go to marketplace and install the enhanced version also mentioned above in this thread.

Took me some time to figure that out as well. The idea seems to be that if you have a level handle, and you open it from the inside - this feature auto unlocks the outside so that you don’t ‘Lock’ yourself out.

There is no way to disable this though, currently in the Auto Locker program.

I did figure out a way to make a door using the IDE. You can then add the lock and the sensor in one. However I did not gain advantage of doing so, I wasn’t able to use this to make it autolock. Plus, i was left with duplicate things - the lock, the contact sensor and the door combining them. So I removed the doors I built and then used the auto locker smart app.

Ah…that makes sense. I set mine up to 1 second, but I am concerned that sending extra commands to a deadbolt lock reduces the battery life.

I have a z-wave dead bolt and this option makes no sense to me. The door sensor should not ever open when the door is locked. It shouldn’t be possible.

When someone unlocks the door and opens it I sometimes get this message:

“Front Door Lock unlocked after Front Door Sensor was opened or closed when Front Door Lock was locked!”

Huh? Maybe the door sensor sent its open status before the lock sent its unlock status? Any way, I really wish I could just disable that option.