Automatically go into night mode

It’s called " when things quiet down" in the app. Issue is that if you have pets things never " quiet down"

You can set it to trigger when something like the bedroom lights turn on/off during a certain time frame. Again limit is if you go in and out of the bedroom before actually going to bed.

I have a tile in SmartTiles , turning off TV is part of my Goodnight routine. So when I am ready I click that, TV and all lights turn off, ST goes into night mode.

I have 3 Boxers and this routine has always worked for me. I guess it depends on if you have Pet Immune Motions… I do.

I’ve yet to find any that actually are. Monoprice/GoControl, Iris, ST , Fibaro, Centralite the dogs and cats always set them off. That is why my away and night modes are the opposite of the norm. It disables all the motion sensors so that the critters can’t play with the lights.

I use the Ecolinks

My DSC Alarm System (Devices in SmartThings) uses these

My EcoBee3 Remote Sensor also appear to be Pet Immune, from my experience.

But, the beauty of SmartThings is that it is so versatile that there are solutions for Everyone!

What do you use for your TV? I have a Harmony HUB downstairs which works great but want something for my upstairs bedroom that is a little more cost efficient. It’s simple to turn off the TV because I have an Iris Smart Plug which monitors power but turning it back on and the associated HTIB is a manual process.

Was looking at getting one of these: BroadLink RMPRO IR RF Wi-Fi One in All Universal Remote Control
https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Universal-Remote-Control-RMPRO-US/dp/B01FJMBM8M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486055488&sr=8-3&keywords=rm+ir

Routines have an option to “automatically perform at sunrise or sunset.” It is a separate option from choosing a specific time.

Save each time by tapping “done” at the top right of the screen.

1. Add a routine

2. Give it a name. In this example I use the name “change mode at sunset” so any place you see that in quotation marks it’s just the name that you gave the routine.

3. Select change the mode

.4. Pick the mode to change to.

.5. On the next screen, Scroll down to “additional settings”

.6. Choose “automatically perform”

.7. Then on the next page, choose “at sunrise or sunset”

.8. Specify “sunset” and add an offset if you want, like 20 minutes before sunset.

Save, and the routine will automatically run at Sunset and change the mode tonight.

1 Like

Harmony downstairs turns big TV , surround, DVR etc etc when I hit Goodnight. Bedroom TV I just use the built in sleep timer. Turn on 1AM news, set the sleep timer for an hour, drift off to sleep listening to the carnage of the day.

1 Like

Have Alexa do it for you via voice.
Use a button someplace. We have on on the stairwell, also mini mote button to trigger it.

OK so I’m not sure how to make a Alexa put my system into night mode I have this error message and I’m not sure what’s causing it - here’s a screenshot:

A SmartThings routine that will use the official integration to Echo directly can only contain lights, switches, and thermostats. If, for example, it also has a lock, echo won’t be able to run it. That’s the error message that you are seeing.

Fortunately, there’s an easy way around this, which is what we used to do before routines were offered through the official integration.

You just create a virtual switch which runs that routine, and then you could have echo turn on that virtual switch.

There are step-by-step instructions for how to do this in the following FAQ (this is a clickable link)

4 Likes

I use a combination of tasker and sharptools. When I place my phone on wireless charger pad by my bed the “night mode” routine is executed. You could also use a NFC tag if you phone doesnt support wireless charging.

1 Like

I gave up on trying to automate night mode, cat, kids, you name it…
Alexa, turn the house off… that’s the program now.

3 Likes

I dont even see “At sunrise or sunset” when i create my routine.

could it be to date, since this was posted back on Feb. 2017, smartthings’ code update resulted in “at sunrise or sunset” to be removed from the smartthings app?

I believe if you follow the steps in the post above exactly, you will find it. As noted in the post, you must choose “additional settings” (step 5 above) and then “automatically perform” (step six above) and then you will see the sunrise/sunset option.

Thank you for your response.

Righ, I’ve looked out for that and do not see it.

Exhibit A:

Are you on android or iOS? I’m on iOS, and the automatically perform…sunset choice is right beneath the “at a certain time.”

Maybe @tgauchat could check, I know he uses android.

OK, I just checked, and the official support article definitely says you should be able to do it automatically at sunset:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205956706-How-to-create-automations-with-Routines

As you can see, there are lots of different options and settings that offer full customization, including triggering devices to perform an action when someone arrives, when everyone leaves, when motion is detected, when a door opens or closes, at a certain time, at sunrise or sunset, only during certain Modes, etc.

So since you aren’t seeing that, I would contact support. You may be right, it may be that somehow it was dropped from a recent app version, but it doesn’t look like it was supposed to be dropped.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, I didn’t realize it might be different in different versions of the app, but that has sometimes happened in the past. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

It’s there now.

There’s a real chance what I was recommended to do in order to fix one problem trying to setup my first piston in CoRE, actually fixed this problem. If you notice in that post https://community.smartthings.com/t/core-get-peer-assistance-here-with-setting-up-pistons/50187/8371?u=thing1nthing2, I had to re-submit or commit my location again ( for whatever reason to probably update something else on ST’s cloud I suppose) for me to see this option under the routines.

Come to think of it. I think this location might have impacted my other routines for not working as I expected it to work; from a theoretical standpoint to practical use.

It just so happens I caught this post after looking for an update once my CoRE issue was resolved.:blush:

1 Like

Sunset is location-dependent, so that would make sense, but I’ve never heard of that issue before. Interesting. :sunglasses:

I set night mode like most above by having things quiet down when my living room Motion Sensor has no motion for 20mins after 10:30pm. But what if my wife ( or me ) is still out after ‘things quiet down’

One of us is in and things quiet down and so ST switches to night mode. This has things like my front door sensor etc armed. Then the wife comes home…