Automatic Door Opener Integration: Skylink DM-50

Hey guys! I’m new here to the Community. Just bought my hub yesterday and am jumping in with both feet here. Looking to use the Skylink DM-50 http://www.skylinkhome.com/usa/sdo_dm50.html in conjuntion with a relay https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/evolve-lfm-20-fixture-module and an auto lock (August or one of the Schlage ones) in order to fully automate the door that my family uses the absolute most: the door between the garage and the living room.

This was actually in response to me racking my brain trying to figure out a way to automate a doggie door for my Great Dane. He asks to go out ALL THE TIME and so I wanted to automate that process. Unfortunately the ST presence sensor doesn’t allow me to uniquely identify my Dane, but if I could at least be able to open the door for him from my home office, and then view him on the camera when he is wanting to get back in, that would be awesome! I can even use this process (combined with automatic food and water feeders, and an auto garage door opener) to be able to leave him at home when I go on trips and not have to put him in a professional boarding place. I’m loving it.

For the purposes of this topic, does anyone have any experience using the DM-50, an auto lock, and the relay to fully automate opening and closing a full door? I’d love to hear chatter on this, and if there is a better way to get it hooked up with Smart Things than using the relay?

Thanks!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hey Luke,

How’s your Smartthings and Skylink DM-50 integration? I just wonder if you could share your experience with this project.

Thanks!

As a person who uses a wheelchair, this is something I have been very interested in. I had spoken directly with Skylink and they said there was no Way to create a command level integration at this time with any of the Skylink models, but as it turns out, they themselves have a hardwired button and you can substitute any network relay/switch for that and things will work, as @Luke_Perrie describes below! So I was just wrong the first time I posted: you should indeed be able to use a networked relay/switch with any of the Skylink otodor models. :sunglasses::tada: My thanks again to @Luke_Perrie for this correction.

IFTTT

In the bad news, Skylink has an IFTTT channel for their security system, but their automatic door openers don’t talk to that system so you can’t use that with the door. But as long as you hardwire in something that SmartThings can talk to, you can use the SmartThings IFTTT channel.

Small Pet Doors

For people who were interested in pet door management, there are some other alternatives for very small doors of that type, and you can find them on the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki in the project reports section on the animals or pets lists.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

The Microbot Option

If you are looking for one for a full-size door without wiring in a Switch, one other option is to use the Naran Push microbots to push the buttons on the Skylink remote control. For example, this would work for a situation where you were renting a home which already had the Skylink door openers installed, and you were not allowed to change the wiring.

The push microbot is a tiny robot finger. All it does is push a button. But it does that very well. I use these in my own home, for example, on a blender where I can’t push the start button. There’s another community member who uses them on a pellet stove. They have their own IFTTT channel, which makes integration with SmartThings pretty straightforward.

The problem is that the microbots so expensive. You need the $80 bridge (one Bridge can handle up to 40 microbots) and then each microbot is about $50 each. So you’re probably looking at around $200 in addition to the cost of the Skylink itself. That will be worth it to some people, because the MIcrobots do let you solve a problem that is very difficult to solve otherwise while retaining all the safety features of the original device and not voiding the warranty on it. But it’s probably more money than most people want to spend who just want a cool door. Still, it will be a good solution for some people.

Given @Luke_Perrie 's information below, I wouldn’t normally use the microbots with Skylink, I would use the relay method instead. But if you want a no wiring solution, if it has a button press remote, the microbots might give you another option.

automatic door openers are slow

Also, you may already know this, but for those who don’t, all of the automatic door openers intended for people in wheelchairs are very slow, about the speed of a garage door opener, because of the safety features. This can drive the able-bodied people in the house crazy, so it does take a group commitment to using these devices.

More expensive brands

There is a quick browse list in the project report section on accessibility projects, which has some additional threads on other door openers, but the other options available are much more expensive.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

As I mentioned, there are a number of other door opener options from other companies, again nothing that will integrate directly with SmartThings. But anything that has its own remote with buttons to be pushed could be integrated by using the microbots to push the buttons. If you build a box to slide the remote into and attach the Microbots to the box, you will still be able to pull out the remote and use it in the regular fashion if you choose to.

Again, my apologies for any confusion from my first post. I’m really glad to hear that the skylink devices can accept a wired switch, that opens up a lot of options. :sunglasses:

@advinvilla hey - this worked great for me with the combo of the Skylink and the relay I mentioned in the OP. I even rigged it up to have permanent power by soldering the wall plug to the 120 and placing it inside the wall in an electrical box. Everything was great. We eventually got rid of our dog so I don’t really use it at all anymore. It just sits on the door.

The only one thing I’ll say which @JDRoberts mentioned in his post is that it is slow to open and close. It takes like 7 seconds to fully open/close the door, which, as he mentioned, does get annoying when you are say…grilling or something and are going in and out frequently in a short period of time.

Bottom line - it works, if you can deal with the slowness of opening and closing the door. No need for the microbot. I just hooked it up to the relay and could automate/control it all from the ST app.

1 Like

So you essentially just jumpered the equivalent of the remote, is that right? So that the “hit and stop” feature still works on the door? :sunglasses:

Correct. The Skylink comes with the wiring to hook it up to a switch if you want so I just wired that directly to the relay. Hit and stop still works just fine.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks! I have edited my post above to include the corrections. :sunglasses:

Hello Luke,

Which relay switch did you use? lm glad to hear somebody successfully did it Great Job! . Do you mind sharing the diagram with the On and Stop you tampered / pictures would be great :). Skylink released DM-150 any improvements you think with that model.?

Thank you very much for sharing your input helps alot!

The 3 Skylink models are for different use cases. The main difference is the type of lock included.

DM50 simple interior swing door, no lock

DM100 has a magnet lock included.

DM150 has a full electric strike included, so that’s the one recommended for exterior doors

I had clearly gotten bad information from Skylink support. (There’s an obvious language issue when you write to them in English.) So I apologize for any confusion, I should’ve looked deeper. My bad. :disappointed_relieved:

Anyway, the point that Luke has made is that these devices can be wired to their own wall mount button switch. Because of that, they could also be wired to any networked device that works as a momentary switch. It could be an in wall relay, such as he used, or it could even be a momentary wall switch if you want to have both options. It just needs to be something that can talk to SmartThings. Once you have that, it would be easy to include in an automation system.

Here is the Skylink hardwired button device. You wouldn’t be using this, this is what you would be replacing with a networked device. So when you look at the wiring diagrams, you could look at how this button gets wired into their system and that’s what you would replace with the relay. :sunglasses:

http://www.skylinkstore.com/store/us/ca-swing-door-opener/accessories/wall-mount-button.html

IMG_3754

Hey man - sorry that I don’t have time to write out the sketch and everything. But - @JDRoberts is correct. You literally just take the two wires that the Skylink gives you to connect for your “trip” and wire them up to the two wires on any switch or relay that can talk to smart things. You just set the device type in ST for the switch to a “momentary contact switch” (I think thats what its called) and it will just toggle the switch basically when you “turn it on” using your phone. This toggle sends the electrical pulse to the Skylink and triggers the action to run the open or close sequence. All very straightforward. No diagram needed.

1 Like

Luke \ JDRoberts,

Thanks a lot guys for the information! Now, its time for me to give a try.

Advin

1 Like

Let us know how it goes! I have a number of friends who use wheelchairs and have the Skylink door openers, so it’s very cool to link them up to something that can work with echo or HomeKit or other hands free home automation. :sunglasses:

Switch button that compatible with SmartThings would be great!

Thanks!