Automated Pool Equipment?

I have the Pentair Screenlogic. I want to simply be able to get alerts when the high and low pumps run, and control the valves (waterfall/bubbler) as well as the light. The Pentair from the third post is a 404 so wondering if anything has been done on this?

Marcus, thanks for the interest. This is a side-project for me and I’ve got a few deadlines coming up with my “day job”. But this is so much fun to work on I’m planning on having it done by spring, in time for people to start opening their pools.

Current Status: One of the biggest hurdles to making this useful is that the SBC that I’m using to control the Pool Equipment is headless (no monitor, touch screen, keyboard, etc) but I needed a way for installers to be able to set it up on the home wifi. I’ve just completed an IoT Library that will allow a user connect directly to the SBC’s wifi using a set-up app on an Android Phone, select the home Wifi Network and enter the password. Once the Pool Automation Controller is on the network, the user/installer can complete the SmartThings setup. I’ll need to port the Smartphone side of this to iOS before it can be a viable product but at least I have the proof of concept and can start testing the Pool Integration.

One thing I’m not sure about is the way I’ve set up the pool Device Handler. It’s one bing monolithic device. The way it’s set up is that the switches for the aux ports (lights, water feature, etc) can only be controlled by the DeviceHandler UI code or a custom SmartApp. My goal is to allow 3rd party smart apps to be able to control the pool lights, etc though the standard “switch” interface so that they can be programmed in just like any light switch etc. Same for the thermostat. I’m looking into a way to refactor the device handler into sub-devices etc.

I’ll IM you to get your information if you’d like to help beta test this when I’m ready for that. I had told @Miketx December, but my “day job” is demanding more of my time than I hoped. But should be ready to test soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little. this is my first post as I am just dipping my foot in the smart things pool. (lol, see what I did there). I have two on/off switches on my pool. One for the pool light and another that turns my waterfall pump on or off. Is there a simple way to just replace these two switches and have them controlled by alexa/ST? Would it matter if the pumps are 220 vs 110?

Thanks so much

Seth

1 Like

I have an older RS system (I need to go determine the model, etc.) and I have experience with embedded (maker level) systems. I’m interested in learning more about what you are building and potentially testing.

Seth, After I get the Aqualinks RS - Smarthings module working and on the market I’ll go after building a module to use the GPIO lines and some 110 and 220 relays to automate super-simple systems like you have. There might be a way to do this already using existing 110 switch modules.

Ian,

I’m pleased to hear about your interest. If please IM me with your contact information etc. model numbers, etc. Please include pictures of the plumbing and any automated valves you have, and a picture of circuit board in the PowerCenter I’m most interested in the wire configuration on the top-right side.

I’ll follow up when I’m closer to sending out test units.

1 Like

I think the easiest way to simply control the pentair easy touch system may be through the spa aide remote connections on the main panel. I tested the ability to turn on the pool lights of my pentair easy touch system by simply testing a momentary switch between the connection “black” and “1R”…it turned on/off just fine. This essentially replaces the spa side remote. So you could use a almost any home automation switch capable of being momentary and connect the switch to a relay that opens and closes the circuit without load. I have ordered the insteon micro module on/off switch and a simple relay to try this. Any thoughts?

To be clear I use a combo of SmartThings hub, insteon hub pro, and insteon hub to allow me to control all my home automation and music using either iPhone HomeKit or Amazon Echo voice commands.

My pool Heater has a fireman’s switch from my 220V mechanical timer to the pump, which turns off the heater a few minutes before the timer shuts off. This is a typical implementation to avoid an abrupt shut down of the pool pump while the Heater is cranking out 200,000 BTUs. Based on this same approach, I think you could just install a simple contact fixture module to turn off the heater. You just keep the heater thermostat on high and cycle the heater via a FS20Z-1. That should work. Getting an accurate pool temp integrated into SmartThings is way harder,

Posting here to keep track
Have iaqualink and looking for Alexa skill or other way to integrate it to my zwave, alexa, qolsys, smart house

Great find! Just linked mine up. It’s ridiculously cool!

@TRIglm I have a new iaqualink system. I am interested in being a guinea pig but I live in upstate NY and wont be opening my pool until April/May. I have a the aqualink RS with the RS-PS4, IQ20-a, 6614-APL, PLC1400 and the new Nicheless LED color changing lights. Send me a private message if you are interested in using my system. Thanks

I have the aqualink PDA by jandy. I would love to have integration with smartthings. Do you have photos of the board you are making that you could post? I upgrade from a jandy RS8 to the PDA and would like to get it to work with Smartthings. Just let me know how I can contributed to this project.

Thank you.
Sent from One plus One

I have my pump on ST using a GE Switch. I use a Pentair skimmer attachment that alternates between my pool vac and skimmer each time the pump starts up. I have the pump start and stop twice a day to ensure alternation. Always debris free this way.

I use a Phosphate Chemical called Perfect Weekly. I bought a peristaltic motor on Amazon for $12 and hooked it up to the chemical. I ran a 2mm PVC hose to a part of my awning that hangs over the pool. It drips the appropriate amount into the pool when the pump turns on each day.

I have solar panels that heat the pool. Here in the desert, this will make the pool too hot during the 110 summer. I put a zwave temp sensor in the pool. Then I put a zwave switch (2) on an actuator. Using Rule Machine: If pool temp above 84, turn solar off. If below 82, turn solar on.

I also have the color changing LED on a zwave, so it turns on at sunset.

A couple of years ago, I reverse-engineered Jandy’s bus protocol for their controller (including AquaPure and ePump protocols) and developed my own device to control it using a custom web interface. I added Amazon Alexa integration using IFTTT’s maker channel so I could turn the pool on and off by voice.

I recently added an ST to go alongside my Vera in hopes of eventually replacing the Vera. I wanted my Jandy pool control device to be easier to integrate with ST and Alexa so I developed a Philips Hue bridge emulator for it so that now Alexa, ST, and Vera all see it as a Hue bridge and all of the Jandy controls appear as simple switches. This makes integration on all three one button simple without having to worry about installing extra plugins or other integration components.

I also do a fair amount of Android development in my professional life so I also created an Android application to provide even more control including a virtual OneTouch panel that looks and acts just like the real thing.

I ran into this thread early on when looking at options to integrate my Jandy with ST so I figured I would come back here and share in the hope that it is useful.

Here are some screen shots of the Android app:

This is amazing, Scott! Any chance you can share the device handler and SmartApp you created? How do you tap into their bus protocol? I’d love to get my hands on integrating my iAqualink to my SmartThings hub!

The beauty of the Hue emulation is that it doesn’t need a device handler and SmartApp. The Jandy controls act like they are Hue lights so it is plug and play. The drawback is that you can’t get data like pool temp, pump speed, etc. back through ST. I have thought about developing a device handler for ST since I already have the UPnP/SSDP code working for Hue but I just haven’t had the time. I use my custom Android app most of the time so the motivation is low.

I tap the Jandy bus with a custom PCB I developed using an ESP8266, an RS485 transceiver, and some surge protection devices.

I spoke with iAqualink and was informed they were working on a similar interface to the current Pentair offering via Alexa.