August Smartlock Integration

I have given up on the integration of the August lock with smart things and just got a Century lock. The features with rboy’s device handler and smart app make it well worth it…

1 Like

Logitech Harmony integrates with August. I’m Curious if anyone has tried integrating in the following manner August -> Harmony -> SmartThings ? I have both systems but am hesitant to buy the August till I know integration through both layers will work also curious as to weather or not the August bridge is needed for integration.

I have both and will look into it tonight. I know you can setup a harmony activity that will lock the lock. That harmony activity should be available in smartthings. I am not sure that there would be anyways to check the true status of the lock, or anything like that tho. Although if activity is on, door is locked. If off, door unlocked maybe.

I’ll report back if someone doing this hasn’t already before I can check it out.

What specifically would you like to be able to do?

As far as needing a bridge, probably so unless you have the doorbell, otherwise all august lock is, is bluetooth and not connected to anything.

FWIW, I had bought a 2nd gen august lock & the connect module (was a good deal at ~$150 total on clearance at target maybe 5 months ago) I went thru the entire setup process & was not happy with its performance & lack of interoperability with ST. So I returned it, bought a kwikset 910 for ~$90 off eBay. Setup was a piece of cake, been working virtually flawless for almost 2 months now. Great range & complete control via ST.
Like it so much I just picked up a kwikset 911 for my door to garage.

Doesn’t seem to work august->harmony->smartthings.

Can make the harmony activity and it works fine in harmony, but when you put that activity in smartthings it never actually triggers. Probably for the same reason that if you try to add that harmony activity to Alexa it won’t work (actually won’t even let you add it) either because it contains a lock.

Looks like I’ll be getting the danalock instead of the August then. It is a bit buggy from what I’ve heard but that is minor compared to a smartlock that won’t integrate with the rest of my existing ecosystem.

As for the question as to what I want it to do, the more accurate question would be what don’t I expect of it. I’d like to use smarthings arrival sensors for keyless entry for starters.

Going into the future I see use cases for:
-“Buzzing” in visitors by app or voice via Google home
-Automaticly unlock the door if a smoke or CO alarm is triggered
-Extending virtual keys and auditing access

@afxtwn - Is this still working for you? If so, can you share how?

I am using Apple Homekit via an Apple TV. So I am using a Phillips Hue Light as the link. So Smartthings -> Phillip Hue Light (Philips Hue Bloom). If the light is On that means it is unlocked, Off is locked. (No rules needed in ST) Just know that on is unlocked and off is locked.

The Homekit side has all the rules. Homekit can see the same Hue light as ST and can control an August Lock via an August Connect. So I set up the rules if light is on, then unlock door, if off, then lock door. Finally in Homekit I do the reverse, if the door is locked, turn off the light, if someone unlocks the door, turn on the light.

I just put the Philips Hue Bloom behind my couch and set the color to red. So I can visually see if the main door is unlocked or not. (kind of a bonus) Now you can set up rules in ST to turn the light on and off as needed (unlocking/locking).

Not ideal, but works great. I already had Hue lights, ST and the Apple Homekit. So I just needed to buy one light to link everything to August.

Good news everyone!! [/DoctorFarnsworth]
The new August Smart Lock Pro supports Z-Wave and is Z-Wave certified!

I’ve been beta testing the product for several months, and with it’s recent announcement I’m pleased to be able to talk about the lock and how pleased we are with it.

It pairs directly to SmartThings and uses the default Z-Wave Lock device handler.
The lock supports additional functionality, such as an open/close sensor for the door itself so it can be used as a door status sensor.

Is there anywhere to buy the August Smart Lock Pro without the Connect bundled together? Is the August Connect needed in any way if the Smart Lock Pro will be connected exclusively to SmartThings?

@capfan There was some discussion on your question in this post…

1 Like