Audio alert when Arlo senses motion?

Hello,

Is there anyway to get Alexa or Sonos to play an audio alert with Arlo senses motion? I don’t have my ST hub until Tuesday but want this integration now. Or have my onhub do an audio alert when my cars wifi connects via sonos or Alexa.

Thanks

Amazon has not designed Alexa to accept any inputs other than voice. There are a few ways around that but they require setting up a lot of additional equipment and coding so it doesn’t sound like that’s what you would want.

There are couple of other options, although to be honest most people would use the SmartThings hub as the man in the middle so doing it without the hub is a little weird for this forum. But it’s not impossible.

If you have the harmony hub and you have that connected to your Sonos, then both the Arlo and harmony have IFTTT channels. (IFTTT is a free web service.) So you set up the harmony activity that does whatever you want, then you use that as the “that” in your IFTTT recipe and Arlo as the “if.”

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-sonos

That gives you

Arlo --> IFTTT --> Harmony --> Sonos

Alternatively, you could have Arlo turn on a WeMo switch or something else which is recognized by the free yonomi app, and then have that trigger Sonos.

Basically there are several systems which can interact with Sonos, including SmartThings hub, the Yonomi app, The Logitech Harmony hub, and I’m sure there are some others.

And there are several systems which can interact with Arlo, including the smartthings hub and the IFTTT service.

But I don’t know of any way to have Arlo talk directly to Sonos, so you have to have at least one “man in the middle,” and sometimes two.

Because the SmartThings hub can talk to both Arlo and Sonos, it’s one of the best candidates.

But if you absolutely can’t wait till Tuesday, go out to Best Buy tomorrow and get a WeMo plug in switch and download the free yonomi app and set up a free IFTTT account and you should be able to set up

Arlo --> IFTTT --> WeMo plug in --> Yonomi --> Sonos

No idea how long the lag might be, though, you just have to test it and see.

The WeMo switch also works with SmartThings, so you’ll still be able to use it in your future set up, you’ll just use it differently. For now, it’s just a dummy that you’re using as a MacGyver-ish connection between two otherwise unconnected systems

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-wemo-switch-white/5716178.p?id=1218685675034&skuId=5716178

As far as onhub, they have an IFTTT channel, so that one is basically the same set up as the Arlo options that use IFTTT.

If you haven’t used IFTTT before, the following is a good tutorial. :sunglasses:

Its very simple to have arlo make sonos announce something based on Arlo motion. I have mine setup during good night mode if motion is detected in the shed of back door sonos playsing “motion is detected at said camera” waking us up so we can investigate.

I did this under custom rules in SHM (Smart Home Monitor).

The OP was asking how to do it without the SmartThings hub.

Is there anyway to get Alexa or Sonos to play an audio alert with Arlo senses motion? I don’t have my ST hub until Tuesday but want this integration now.

Hopefully the smartthings hub arrives tomorrow and then definitely they easily can do what you suggested. :sunglasses:

With one exception…TTS is currently non functional

:persevere:

Lol thanks! Excited! Been loving the Arlo alerts for my driveway.