[OBSOLETE] Aspire Cooper RF9500 Device Type (basic DTH in post 6)

Well, I thought I had it working until I started making rules in CoRE. I think Dim with me works but I need two dimmers to work together in a 3-way configuration even though they are not wired in at all. I have on / off working fine using CoRE. Dim with me only accepts a single dimmer. Struggling to get dimming working. Actually I think I am going to try to setup two DWM configs, one for each dimmer.

About a year ago when Dim with me was pretty much the only option, people did set up multiple instances of it with different ones as the master.

Now, however, there are several other options including a version of DWM specifically intended for multiple dimmers.

If you use the “lighting” quick browse list you should be able to find all of them easily:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

What is the other dimmer?

I gave the one that @ajma did and it seems like my lights get in a bit of a loop then some turn off or on. @ajma, is this the behavior you have?

https://github.com/ajma/twack-smarthings-apps/blob/patch-1/dim-with-me.app.groovy

I tried @ASpenCO code and the main switch worked fine, but when I tried one of the slave dimmers nothing happened.

and lastly @mrsmartypants version of the app made my lights randomly turn on / off.

@ASpenCO @mrsmartypants @ajma - You ever get this working?

If not, I’ll attempt to write my own app this weekend.

Brand and model of each of the switches?

If have the two Cooper RF9500’s and 4 LIFX bulbs. That’s it.

So that counts as 6 dimmers:
Switch A
Switch B
Bulb C
Bulb D
Bulb E
Bulb F

How exactly did you set them up with twack’s code?

Also, are they set up to follow each other with any other code, including the official smart lighting?

You can see which code controls each device in the mobile app.

One) open the mobile app

Two) go to the my house/rooms view ( Icon with four little squares on the bottom)

Three) choose things

Four) find one of the devices and click on its name in the list (just the name, not the icons on the right or left of the main) this will open its detail screen

1. once the detail screen opens, click on smart apps at the top. This will show you the list of smart apps which are associated to this device.

You can click on any of the smart app names and see the set up screens for it.

I didn’t consider setting up the bulbs as dimmers in the Dim with Me app. Here is the setup I had.

1 - I have a CoRE Piston the listens for either of the RF9500’s “switch to change”. When it changes it “toggles” the 4 LIFX bulbs.

(I paused this piston during my testing of the various version of the dim with me app.)

2 - I setup dim with me so that group of lights using Trend Setter SmartApp was the master and the two RF9500 dimmers were the slaves (not any of the light bulbs).

After reading your feedback I tried the two different versions of the Dim With Me app for slave dimming and neither worked with the following configuration:

1 - CoRE piston still paused so on / off didn’t work, it works when I unpause the piston.
2 - I took the trend setter out of the picture and made RF9500 Dimmer 1 that master and RF9500 Dimmer 2, Bulb 1, Bulb 2, Bulb 3, Bulb 4 slaves.

In each case the “Master” dimmer worked just fine, none of the slaves did anything.

I have no other smartapps on the bulbs, or the RF9500 dimmers.

Do the LIFX bulbs show up in the list of dimmer switches in Smart Lighting? What device type handler are you using for them? My guess is they’re not being perceived as dimmers by anything except trendsetter.

I am using the default device type that SmartThings assigned. They are showing up as dimmers.

Did not realize they were bulbs. Are both dimmers used to control the same bulb(s)?

If so, you might need to create a virtual dimmer to maintain state. Trap the up/down/on/off buttons of the remotes, and send them to the virtual dimmer. Then control your lights from the virtual dimmer.

I’ll try that, but I think that is what Trend Setter does also.

yeah, don’t use any of the dim with me apps, they are all buggy and old. if you look up an app called color coordinator, it works like dim with me but only for colored lights. might be easy to modify for non-colored lights as well.

Taking a look at modifying color coordinator.

This might be a device handler issue and not a smartapp issue. I can’t get the setLevel event to register for these dimmers.

subscribe(dimmers, “switch.setLevel”, levelHandler)

When I hit the dimmer buttons on the dimmers this event never is called. When I adjust one of the lights the event is called fine.

I have not been able to figure out how to assign a level to the coorper remote dimmers. I use the button event to trap which button is being pressed and relay that to my other device that controls a load.

I’m writing a new device handler now. Seems to be working. I’ve also written a test SmartApp to make sure I am raising / sending events properly. It seems to be picking them up. Still working on finalizing it. It is my first DeviceHandler…

Device Handler Log
7:31:22 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 switch is off.
7:31:22 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Button Pressed
7:31:20 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 90.
7:31:20 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – device.currentValue(level) = 100.
7:31:20 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Lowered.
7:31:18 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 100.
7:31:18 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Raised.
7:31:16 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 90.
7:31:16 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Raised.
7:31:15 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 80.
7:31:15 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Raised.
7:31:13 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 70.
7:31:13 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – device.currentValue(level) = 80.
7:31:13 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Lowered.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 80.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – device.currentValue(level) = 90.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Lowered.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 90.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – device.currentValue(level) = 100.
7:31:12 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Lowered.
7:31:10 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 set level is 100.
7:31:10 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Dim Level Raised.
7:31:09 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 switch is on.
7:31:09 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Button Pressed
7:31:08 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 switch is off.
7:31:08 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Button Pressed
7:31:08 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – returned Dining Room Light Switch 2 switch is on.
7:31:08 PM: debug CRF9500 – parse – Button Pressed

Smart App Log
7:31:22 PM: debug ET — switchHandler() value = off
7:31:20 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 90
7:31:18 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 100
7:31:16 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 90
7:31:15 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 80
7:31:13 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 70
7:31:12 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 80
7:31:12 PM: debug ET — levelHandler() value = 90
Note: (doesn’t show the dim level raising to 100 because it was already there)
7:31:09 PM: debug ET — switchHandler() value = on
7:31:08 PM: debug ET — switchHandler() value = off
7:31:08 PM: debug ET — switchHandler() value = on

1 Like

Ok, I finished creating my device handler for the Cooper RF9500. I don’t know if this will work for all Cooper RF9500 as it seems like some of the other device handlers should have worked for mine but didn’t. Take a look and give it a try if you are interested. This is my first attempt at writing a device handler. I still need to clean up some of the log.debug statements.

I have mine configured in CoRE using 3 pistons.

1 - On / Off
2 - On level raises, adjust level by +10
3 - On level drops, adjust level by -10

One feature I added was a preference to allow the dimmers to go above 100 and below 0 so you don’t have to worry about syncing the dimmers so they match each other or the lights. You press up the light level raises. You keep pressing up the light level keeps raising until the light is at 100, even if the dimmer is at 150% When you press down the light level drops, same past 0.

1 Like

Has anybody else had problems getting this thing to pair with ST? I’ve tried several combinations of button presses with no luck yet. Even pressing the on/off button every second or so to keep the LED on, ST still doesn’t pick it up. Any ideas?

I plan to use this switch to control an in-wall z-wave relay (monoprice) to power an over-the-sink light in our kitchen. This is saving me from cutting the drywall to run a physical switch down the wall from the ceiling. Hope it works! :slight_smile:

(first post!)

I have 10 of these and all I’ve had to do was remove the plastic tab on the batteries and keep pressing the button. I recommend putting the device down on a table and pressing it about twice a second. I don’t think it should need to be that fast but it might help. Also, I have a new device type that might work for you (won’t help it pair any better). I had issues with the one posted above. Also, you might be interested in my Toggimmer app to work with this switch.

OH!!! Also, the ST app is weird. Try killing the app on your phone before you attempt to pair and even after. Sometimes I’ll try to pair something, nothing will happen. I’ll kill the app go back into the market place and it will say that there is a device waiting to be configured.