Arduino Shield Suggestions?

@johnwest80: Thank-you for putting in words what’s been in my head (and various posts…) for a long time now. And your proof-of-concept builds is also tremendously reassuring that you understand these issues.

I sensed that this would be a problem (i.e., the one:one physical device to device object relationship) for a very long time now.

Even with the SmartThings branded multi-sensor, for example, there is no practical way to have multiple tiles for the various functions visible without drill-down into the tile configuration page (i.e., at least 4 tiles should be generated for each multi-sensor: open/closed, temperature, orientation, activity). Some sort of shortcut system would be great, and then it could also be possible to place “copies” of the same device tile in multiple groups (e.g., open/closed could be in the “Foyer Group” as well as the “Security Group”.

The Dashboard is the current hack that implements some shortcut features, obviously, but I think that many consumer-type users find it confusing.

And, overall, consistency between object representations for SmartApps, GUI, and external-API is highly desirable. So I hope that any conceptual architecture change that “makes sense” and is “flexible and powerful” can be thoroughly considered by ST. It is hard to drive such changes from the bottom up, I fear. A lot of differing opinions (don’t get me started again on my Christmas list concept of “Scenes” as first level objects…).

@johnwest80

If you use a SmartApp as a multiplexer/demultiplexer between your custom Arduino DeviceType’s capabilities, and a set of virtual devices… You can then use standard SmartApps to interact with the Arduino via the Virtual Devices. I have successfully accomplished this, as have others. Check out my code for my Garage Door Arduino project.

@ogiewon,
Before I dig into your code, are you saying that I could, for example, have two switches that “turn on and off” via my Smartshield, and use either/both in all smartapps that ask for a switch?

x10 -> smartshield -> switch 1
switch 2
light 1
light 2

Any smartapp that asks for switch or light, I can in some way add any of those above somehow? This would be awesome!

Please confirm and make my day (and, if you can point me to your code or somewhere that explains this, that’d be great!).

1 Like

@johnwest80

Yes, you should be able to control many “Switch” type of devices (e.g. X10 Appliance Modules or Wall Switches) via one Arduino. You will need to create a custom Virtual Switch DeviceType. You could start with one of my Virtual “GarageDoor” DeviceTypes, and simply change the icons and limit them to only two states (on and off). There are probably other examples of this as well floating around.

You will definitely need a custom SmartApp to link the Virtual Switch devices, to your Arduino DeviceType code. Take a look at my Mux/Demux SmartApp as an example. You will probably need to pass to the Arduino, via the DeviceType code, a numeric index to represent which X10 module you want to turn on/off. Similar to how I handle the Open/Close commands for my two distinct Garage Door relays.

Here is a link to my post about my garage door Arduino code (Arduino code, ST DeviceType, SmartApp, and Virtual Contact Sensor + Virtual Garage Door switch/button) Arduino SmartShield Garage Controller

Hope this helps!

I definitely Echo making it smaller with pin headers instead of an entire shield, most of my work I have done with nano’s and the shield just takes up too much space. I would also like to see the price point slightly lower, I can currently get an industrial temp rated wifi module for 14 dollars.

2 Likes

All,
I have just posted a new topic about a project, ST_Anything, my son and I have developed to make using an Arduino with SmatThings as simple as we believe possible.

Check it out at Announcing the "ST_Anything" Arduino/ThingShield Project

Hopefully the ST_Anything project will at least provide some examples of what is possible. It also includes an upgraded Arduino SmartThings library which you can read about in the other post as well as on the GitHub repo at https://github.com/DanielOgorchock/ST_Anything

Dan

3 Likes

I’d love to have an LCD or TFT console that would display status of lights, doors, etc. It would be handy to have in the kitchen or bedroom so you don’t always have to look at your phone. Is this something anyone has tackled with the shield?

@Dallas_Kincaid you should probably take a look at the following discussion. No need to use an Arduino and LCD screen as a display when you can simply re-purpose an old smartphone or tablet to create a custom dashboard that is always on and only displays what you desire.

If any of you are still curious how to expose multiple inputs/outputs on one Arduino as individual top level tiles, please take a look at my new ST_Anything_Doors project. In this example, I expose 4 Contact Sensor devices and 2 Door Control devices from one Arduino as 6 individual tiles that standard SmartApps can use without customization.

1 Like

I’d like to echo the comments that suggest XBee since that is all but the de facto solution for many add-ons, shields, etc. and not only Arduino, but RPi, BeagleBone, Propellers, PIC’s and whatever. And nothing really needs to be done in hardware since XBee shields/adaptors would work out of the box. I’m guessing the current ST/Arduino lib would need to be ported to the XBee API.

As far as new ST hardware for the maker world, how about an RPi add-on to add both the XBee socket and break out the I/O for easy access, and maybe add some SPI/I2C driven analogue inputs? Or, now this is getting a bit adventurous, some servo or motor controllers? SmartThings controlled robotics anybody?

1 Like

For those looking for a full SoC solution the meshbee from seeedstudios is promising. A powerful enough MCU with multiple DIOs SPI i2c and enough ram and flash to hold a large app with full zigbee profiles. For $20. It’s based on the jn5168 by NXP. I haven’t used it with ST yet (I’m in the process of switching from Wink to ST) but all the tools and SDKs are free, although you do have to jump through some hoops to get them.

Interesting. I’d be interested to see someone do a project with this, I don’t know that I’m 1337 enough to give it a try.

Hello everyone,

I’m using a ThingShield (the one sold by SmartThings) to allow me to perpetually monitor temperatures (and humidities) in the fridge, freezer, and both crispers with DHT22s. In addition, I have thermocouples going to the oven and broiler to monitor those so I can correlate the oven dial to the actual temperatures. (I do baking and need somewhat quantitative information)

Now, the hardware aspect is fine. The Arduino code, I think, is okay as well. However, I think I’m running into some trouble with the Groovy of the device type I made. Essentially, I have multiple temperature widgets
(and humidity ones too). It doesn’t seem to be populating these widgets with any numbers, just --.

I based it off of @jody.albritton’s JodyThing project.

So, a question from a snippit of my code:

valueTile(“tempFridge”,“device.temperature”,width: 1,height: 1, inactiveLabel: false){
state(“temperature”,label:$currentValue’,unit:“F”…

valueTile(“tempFreezer”, “device.temperature”,…

Do we still use device.temperature as the second component of the widget value tile for each one? Or should it be unique to each one, like fridgeDevice.temperature, freezerDevice.temperature? I’d be happy to furnish whatever other code I’ve written so folks can scrutinize it.

Thanks!
Christoph

If you look at the arduino code, you will notice that it is merely sending ST a string. So on the arduino you will need to set up multiple temperature senders.

instead of just currentTemperature on line 180:

int   currentTemperature; 

You need to define multiple temperature readings.

int   currentTemperatureOne;
  int   currentTemperatureTwo;  

The checkTemperature method on line 260 will also need to be modified to reflect the multiple temperatures.

In the device type you will need to modify the parse method to allow for multiple temperatures on line 122

} else if (value && value[0] == "t") {
    		result.name = "temperature";
    		result.value = value[1..-1];
    		result.unit = "F"
    } 

changes to

} else if (value && value[0] == "t") {
    		result.name = "temperatureOne";
    		result.unit = "F"

}else if( (value && value[0] == "t") {
                    result.name = "temperatureTwo";
    		result.unit = "F"
    }

There are a few other places where you need to make the changes but this should give you the general idea. In your tiles you would access them by calling device.temperatureOne and device.temperatureTwo

@jodyalbritton Everything looks correct, taking your suggestions into account. The Arduino section is looking good and outputs great over Serial, but for some reason, the ST device type part isn’t working. Still seeing the ‘–’ where temperatures and humidities should be. Is there somewhere I can add log messages of what the is seeing?

I’ll enclose my code below, should you notice something.:

metadata {
        // Automatically generated. Make future change here.
        definition (name: "Christoph Multi Thermometers", namespace: "scordinskyc", author: "Christopher Scordinsky") {
            capability "Refresh"
            capability "Polling"
            capability "Temperature Measurement"
            capability "Relative Humidity Measurement"
            capability "Sensor"

fingerprint profileId: "0104", deviceId: "0138", inClusters: "0000"
        }

// Simulator metadata
        simulator {
            // status messages
            status "ping": "catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0040 00 6A67 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A70696E67"
            status "hello": "catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0040 00 0A21 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A48656c6c6f20576f726c6421"
        }

// UI tile definitions
        tiles {

valueTile("tempOven", "device.tempOven", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                state("temperature", label: '${currentValue}°F', unit:"F", backgroundColors: [
                        [value: 31, color: "#153591"],
                        [value: 44, color: "#1e9cbb"],
                        [value: 59, color: "#90d2a7"],
                        [value: 74, color: "#44b621"],
                        [value: 84, color: "#f1d801"],
                        [value: 95, color: "#d04e00"],
                        [value: 96, color: "#bc2323"]
                    ]
                )
            }
            valueTile("tempBroiler", "device.tempBroiler", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                    ]
                )
            }
            valueTile("tempFridge", "device.tempFridge", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                    ]
                )
            }
            valueTile("tempFreezer", "device.tempFreezer", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                    ]
                )
            }
            valueTile("tempOthercrisp", "device.tempOthercrisp", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                    ]
                )
            }
            valueTile("tempMoistcrisp", "device.tempMoistcrisp", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                    ]
                )
            }

valueTile("humidityFridge", "device.humidityFridge", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
                state "humidity", label:'${currentValue}% humidity', unit:""
            }

valueTile("humidityFreezer", "device.humidityFreezer", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
            }

valueTile("humidityMoistcrisp", "device.humidityMoistcrisp", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
            }

valueTile("humidityOthercrisp", "device.humidityOthercrisp", width: 1, height: 1, inactiveLabel: false) {
            }

standardTile("refresh", "device.poll") {
                state "default", label:'', action:"device.poll()", icon:"st.secondary.refresh"
            }

main (["tempOven", "tempBroiler", "tempFridge", "tempFreezer","tempMoistcrisp", "tempOthercrisp","humidityFridge", "humidityFreezer", "humidityMoistcrisp", "humidityOthercrisp"])
            details(["tempOven", "tempBroiler", "tempFridge", "tempFreezer","tempMoistcrisp", "tempOthercrisp","humidityFridge", "humidityFreezer", "humidityMoistcrisp", "humidityOthercrisp"])
        }
    }

Map parse(String description) {

def value = zigbee.parse(description)?.text

// Not super interested in ping, can we just move on?
        if (value == "ping" || value == " ")
        {
            return
        }

def linkText = getLinkText(device)
        def descriptionText = getDescriptionText(description, linkText, value)
        def handlerName = value
        def isStateChange = value != "ping"
        def displayed = value && isStateChange

def result = [
            value: value,
            handlerName: handlerName,
            linkText: linkText,
            descriptionText: descriptionText,
            isStateChange: isStateChange,
            displayed: displayed
        ]

if (value in ["!on","!off"])
        {
            result.name  = "switch"
            result.value = value[1..-1]

//  } else if (value && value[0] == "%") {
    //      result.name = "level"
    //      result.value = value[1..-1]

} else if (value && value[0] == "humidityFridge") {
            result.name = "humidityFridge";
            result.unit = "%"

} else if (value && value[0] == "humidityFreezer") {
            result.name = "humidityFreezer";
            result.unit = "%"

} else if (value && value[0] == "humidityOthercrisp") {
            result.name = "humidityOthercrisp";
            result.unit = "%"

} else if (value && value[0] == "humidityMoistcrisp") {
            result.name = "humidityMoistcrisp";
            result.unit = "%"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempOven") {
            result.name = "tempOven";
            result.unit = "C"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempBroiler") {
            result.name = "tempBroiler";
            result.unit = "C"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempFridge") {
            result.name = "tempFridge";
            result.unit = "C"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempFreezer") {
            result.name = "tempFreezer";
            result.unit = "C"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempOthercrisp") {
            result.name = "tempOthercrisp";
            result.unit = "C"

} else if (value && value[0] == "tempMoistcrisp") {
            result.name = "tempMoistcrisp";
            result.unit = "C"

} else {
            result.name = null;
        }

//  if ( (value && value[0] == "%") )
    //  {
    //      result.unit = "%"

//  }

createEvent(name: result.name, value: result.value)

}

def poll() {
        zigbee.smartShield(text: "poll").format()
        }

And the Arduino:

//*****************************************************************************
/// @file
/// @brief
///   Arduino SmartThings Shield Kitchen temp probes
/// @note
///              ______________
///             |              |
///             |         SW[] |
///             |[]RST         |
///             |         AREF |--
///             |          GND |--
///             |           13 |--X Othercrisp DHT
///             |           12 |--X Moistcrisp DHT
///             |           11 |--X Fridge DHT
///           --| 3.3V      10 |--X Freezer DHT
///           --| 5V         9 |--
///           --| GND        8 |--
///           --| GND          |
///           --| Vin        7 |--X CLK
///             |            6 |--X CS
///			  --| A0         5 |--X DO for Broiler
///           --| A1    ( )  4 |--X DO for Oven
///           --| A2         3 |--X THING_RX
///           --| A3  ____   2 |--X THING_TX
///           --| A4 |    |  1 |--
///           --| A5 |    |  0 |--
///             |____|    |____|
///                  |____|
///
#include    //TODO need to set due to some weird wire language linker, should we absorb this whole library into smartthings
#include 
#include 
//thermocouple additions
#include "SPI.h"	
#include "Adafruit_MAX31855.h"

// Pin Definitions    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
//                    V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
//For the Yun, have to reassign RX pin
#define PIN_THING_RX    8
#define PIN_THING_TX    2
#define DHT_FREEZER_PIN 10
#define DHT_FRIDGE_PIN 11
#define DHT_MOISTCRISP_PIN 12
#define DHT_OTHERCRISP_PIN 13

#define DHTTYPE DHT22

//tcouple additions

#define DO_oven 4
#define DO_broiler 5
#define CS 6
#define CLK 7

DHT dhtFreezer(DHT_FREEZER_PIN, DHTTYPE);
DHT dhtFridge(DHT_FRIDGE_PIN, DHTTYPE);
DHT dhtMoistcrisp(DHT_MOISTCRISP_PIN, DHTTYPE);
DHT dhtOthercrisp(DHT_OTHERCRISP_PIN, DHTTYPE);

//tcouple additions

Adafruit_MAX31855 thermocouple_oven(CLK, CS, DO_oven);
Adafruit_MAX31855 thermocouple_broiler(CLK, CS, DO_broiler);

// Global Variables   | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
//                    V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
SmartThingsCallout_t messageCallout;    // call out function forward decalaration
SmartThings smartthing(PIN_THING_RX, PIN_THING_TX, messageCallout);  // constructor

bool isDebugEnabled;    // enable or disable debug in this example
int stateLED;           // state to track last set value of LED
int stateNetwork;       // state of the network 

// Local Functions  | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
//                  V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
void on()
{
	stateLED = 1;                 // save state as 1 (on)
	smartthing.shieldSetLED(0, 0, 2);
	smartthing.send("on");        // send message to cloud
}

void off()
{
	stateLED = 0;                 // set state to 0 (off)
	smartthing.shieldSetLED(0, 0, 0);
	smartthing.send("off");       // send message to cloud
}

void setNetworkStateLED()
{
	SmartThingsNetworkState_t tempState = smartthing.shieldGetLastNetworkState();
	if (tempState != stateNetwork)
	{
		switch (tempState)
		{
		case STATE_NO_NETWORK:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("NO_NETWORK");
			smartthing.shieldSetLED(2, 0, 0); // red
			break;
		case STATE_JOINING:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("JOINING");
			break;
		case STATE_JOINED:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("JOINED");
			smartthing.shieldSetLED(0, 0, 0); // off
			break;
		case STATE_JOINED_NOPARENT:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("JOINED_NOPARENT");
			smartthing.shieldSetLED(2, 0, 2); // purple
			break;
		case STATE_LEAVING:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("LEAVING");
			break;
		default:
		case STATE_UNKNOWN:
			if (isDebugEnabled) Serial.println("UNKNOWN");
			smartthing.shieldSetLED(0, 2, 0); // green
			break;
		}
		stateNetwork = tempState;
	}
}

// API Functions    | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
//                  V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V
void setup()
{
	// setup default state of global variables
	isDebugEnabled = true;
	stateLED = 0;                 // matches state of hardware pin set below
	stateNetwork = STATE_JOINED;  // set to joined to keep state off if off

//DHT 11

// setup hardware pins 

dhtFreezer.begin();
	dhtFridge.begin();
	dhtMoistcrisp.begin();
	dhtOthercrisp.begin();

if (isDebugEnabled)
	{ // setup debug serial port
		Serial.begin(9600);         // setup serial with a baud rate of 9600
		Serial.println("setup..");  // print out 'setup..' on start
		////give the sensor some time to calibrate
		//Serial.print("calibrating sensor ");
		//for (int i = 0; i < calibrationTime; i++){
		//	Serial.print(".");
		//	delay(1000);
		//}
		//Serial.println(" done");
		//Serial.println("SENSOR ACTIVE");
		delay(50);
	}
}

// Keep Track of Sensor Readings
//int   currentLight;

int   currentFridgeHumidity;
int   currentFreezerHumidity;
int   currentMoistcrispHumidity;
int   currentOthercrispHumidity;

int   currentOvenTemperature;
int   currentBroilerTemperature;
int   currentFridgeTemperature;
int   currentFreezerTemperature;
int	  currentMoistcrispTemperature;
int	  currentOthercrispTemperature;

// Intervals 
unsigned long   humidityInterval = (25 * 1000);
unsigned long   temperatureInterval = (25 * 1000);
unsigned long   reportInterval = (2 * 60 * 1000);

unsigned long   lastHumidityCheckAt = 0;
unsigned long   lastTempCheckAt = 0;
unsigned long 	lastReportAt = 0;

void loop()
{
	// run smartthing logic
	smartthing.run();

// Timing code 
	unsigned long currentMillis = millis();

// First and at checkInterval 
	if (currentMillis - lastHumidityCheckAt > humidityInterval || lastHumidityCheckAt == 0)
	{
		lastHumidityCheckAt = currentMillis;

// Do a check 
		checkHumidity();

}
	if (currentMillis - lastTempCheckAt > temperatureInterval || lastTempCheckAt == 0)
	{
		lastTempCheckAt = currentMillis;

// Do a check 
		checkTemperature();

}

// First and at reportInterval 
	if (currentMillis - lastReportAt > reportInterval || lastReportAt == 0)
	{
		lastReportAt = currentMillis;

// Do a report  
		reportData();

}

setNetworkStateLED();

}
void checkData()
{
	checkHumidity();
	checkTemperature();

}

void checkHumidity()
{

Serial.println("Checking humidity...");

// Read humidity
	float hFreezer = dhtFreezer.readHumidity();
	float hFridge = dhtFridge.readHumidity();
	float hMoistcrisp = dhtMoistcrisp.readHumidity();
	float hOthercrisp = dhtOthercrisp.readHumidity();

// Discard any data that is NaN
	if (isnan(hFreezer) || isnan(hFridge) || isnan(hMoistcrisp) || isnan(hOthercrisp))
	{
		Serial.println("Failed to read from one or more of the DHTs");
	}
	else {

Serial.print("Fridge Humidity:");
		Serial.println(hFridge);
		currentFridgeHumidity = hFridge;

Serial.print("Freezer Humidity:");
		Serial.println(hFreezer);
		currentFreezerHumidity = hFreezer;

Serial.print("Moist Crisper Humidity:");
		Serial.println(hMoistcrisp);
		currentMoistcrispHumidity = hMoistcrisp;

Serial.print("Other Crisper Humidity:");
		Serial.println(hOthercrisp);
		currentOthercrispHumidity = hOthercrisp;
	}

}

void checkTemperature()
{
	Serial.println("Checking temperature...");

// Read temperature 

//Tcouples first

double cOven = thermocouple_oven.readCelsius();
	double cBroiler = thermocouple_broiler.readCelsius();

if (isnan(cOven) || isnan(cBroiler)){
		Serial.println("Error with Tcouple(s)");

}
	else {
		Serial.print("Tcouple Oven Temp:");
		Serial.println(cOven);
		currentOvenTemperature = cOven;

Serial.print("Tcouple Broiler Temp:");
		Serial.println(cBroiler);
		currentBroilerTemperature = cBroiler;
	}

//DHTs next
	float tFreezer = dhtFreezer.readTemperature(true);
	float tFridge = dhtFridge.readTemperature(true);
	float tMoistcrisp = dhtMoistcrisp.readTemperature(true);
	float tOthercrisp = dhtOthercrisp.readTemperature(true);

// Discard any data that is NaN
	if (isnan(tFreezer) || isnan(tFridge) || isnan(tMoistcrisp) || isnan(tOthercrisp))
	{
		Serial.println("Failed to read from one or more of the DHTs");
	}
	else {
		Serial.print("Fridge Temp:");
		Serial.println(tFridge);
		currentFridgeTemperature = tFridge;

Serial.print("Freezer Temp:");
		Serial.println(tFreezer);
		currentFreezerTemperature = tFreezer;

Serial.print("Moist Crisper Temp:");
		Serial.println(tMoistcrisp);
		currentMoistcrispTemperature = tMoistcrisp;

Serial.print("Other Crisper Temp:");
		Serial.println(tOthercrisp);
		currentOthercrispTemperature = tOthercrisp;
	}

}

void reportData()
{
	Serial.println("Reporting data...");

// We must insist on actually having some data to send 
	if (isnan(currentFridgeHumidity) || isnan(currentFridgeTemperature)) {

Serial.println("We're not in a loop are we?");

checkData();
		reportData();
		return;
	}

// Report humidity 

String humidityFridgeMessage = "humidityFridge";
	humidityFridgeMessage.concat(currentFridgeHumidity);
	smartthing.send(humidityFridgeMessage);
	Serial.println(humidityFridgeMessage);

String humidityFreezerMessage = "humidityFreezer";
	humidityFreezerMessage.concat(currentFreezerHumidity);
	smartthing.send(humidityFreezerMessage);
	Serial.println(humidityFreezerMessage);

String humidityOthercrispMessage = "humidityOthercrisp";
	humidityOthercrispMessage.concat(currentOthercrispHumidity);
	smartthing.send(humidityOthercrispMessage);
	Serial.println(humidityOthercrispMessage);

String humidityMoistcrispMessage = "humidityMoistcrisp";
	humidityMoistcrispMessage.concat(currentMoistcrispHumidity);
	smartthing.send(humidityMoistcrispMessage);
	Serial.println(humidityMoistcrispMessage);

// Report Temps 
	String tempOvenMessage = "tempOven";
	tempOvenMessage.concat(currentOvenTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempOvenMessage);

String tempBroilerMessage = "tempBroiler";
	tempBroilerMessage.concat(currentBroilerTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempBroilerMessage);

String tempFridgeMessage = "tempFridge";
	tempFridgeMessage.concat(currentFridgeTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempFridgeMessage);

String tempFreezerMessage = "tempFreezer";
	tempFreezerMessage.concat(currentFreezerTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempFreezerMessage);

String tempOthercrispMessage = "tempOthercrisp";
	tempOthercrispMessage.concat(currentOthercrispTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempOthercrispMessage);

String tempMoistcrispMessage = "tempMoistcrisp";
	tempMoistcrispMessage.concat(currentMoistcrispTemperature);
	smartthing.send(tempMoistcrispMessage);

}

void messageCallout(String message)
{
	// if debug is enabled print out the received message
	if (isDebugEnabled)
	{
		Serial.print("Received message: '");
		Serial.print(message);
		Serial.println("' ");
	}

// if message contents equals to 'on' then call on() function
	// else if message contents equals to 'off' then call off() function
	if (message.equals("on"))
	{
		on();
	}
	else if (message.equals("off"))
	{
		off();
	}

else if (message.equals("poll"))
	{
		reportData();
	}

}

The problem is with the string parsing on the device type. Because I had so few values, I could just pass my strings very simply. My temperature string looks like this t71. Humidity string looks like h29. ETC.

So when I evaluate

if (value && value[0] == "t")

The value[0] is just the first character of the string. Which in the case of temperature is the letter T.

You can just use different letters for each of yours instead of full names or pass an array instead of a string. If you look at the serial output, you will see what I am talking about.

@jodyalbritton Okay, the device type is going to be looking for A-J as the first character in the messages, and the Arduino is going to be sending A-J as the first character for each of the messages. Still nothing. I also cleared out myself using pin 6 on the Arduino just in case that was causing problems.

I added a log.debug at the top of the Parse section. But it looks like it’s just spitting out the ping catchall:
Parsing ‘catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A70696E67’

Are you seeing the temps in the arduino serial output? I would put the log.debug in each of the else if sections.

log.debug  result.value

If that is returning nil, then the parse is not working.

Chris,

Are you using an Arduino UNO R3 or a MEGA 2560? You may be running out of free memory on the UNO which will cause all sorts of strange behavior. I see in your code you’re using a lot of longish strings. Have you tried using the F() function to keep those strings in Flash memory instead of consuming your precious 2k of RAM on an UNO? The MEGA has 8k of RAM so it is less prone to these problems. Using a MEGA has other issues with the ThingShield. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, you might want to use my very of the SmartThings Arduino library as we optimized it considerably for memory usage, performance, and added support for the MEGA. Take a look at my github ST_Anything repository. Link can be found above in one of my earlier posts.

Dan

Hey @ogiewon ,

I’m using a Yun, which as I understand it, has the guts of a Leonardo. I had to do some pin reassignment to make it work with the ST shield.

Looks like we may have made some progress, as it seems that ST is doing some parsing correctly. I added some log debug messages after each else, @jody.albritton. Strange, it seems to be reporting once, when the unit powers on. And weirdly, it’s not all the terms. This may be because something is holding the Arduino from sending it.

I should note that the serial output looks good for all the temps and humidities, so it’s not like they’re NAN. Just those three that it’s not seeing (and not parsing). The device widgets still have the ‘–’, I should also mention.

79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:55 PM EDT: debug TS was H-2
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:55 PM EDT: debug -2
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:55 PM EDT: debug H-2
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:55 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0040 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A482D32’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug TS was F24
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug 24
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug F24
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0040 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A463234’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug TS was G39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug 39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug G39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0040 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A473339’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug TS was J39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug 39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug J39
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A4A3339’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug TS was I38
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug 38
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug I38
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:54 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A493338’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:50 PM EDT: debug TS was E25
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:50 PM EDT: debug 25
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:50 PM EDT: debug E25
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:50 PM EDT: debug Parsing 'catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A453235’
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:49 PM EDT: debug TS was A40
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:49 PM EDT: debug 40
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:49 PM EDT: debug A40
79a0c8fd-2bcc-42d4-91b3-677a53af1fd7 8:19:49 PM EDT: debug Parsing ‘catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 FC76 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A413430’