App crashes at launch on Android 5.1.1, 5.0.3, and 5.0

Only happens on wifi. It will crash before i’ve even logged in on a fresh install, clearing cache etc… Somewhat intermittent, though. The SmartThings support person literally told me i should call Verizon FiOS and ask them why they were causing the SmartThings app to crash on my phone. No response to the support ticket I opened up on 12/3. Apparently crashing and sending a report to the developer is a-ok app behavior when encountering a network issue. Any ideas?

1 Like

Actually, i missed the response, so apologies to smartthings for the implication of unresponsiveness. This has been forwarded to the android dev team, although no answers as of yet. For further clarification, the crash was happening on both the cisco meraki wireless network I have, and an apple airport i set up for testing purposes. I am going through a cisco meraki mx64 router, which has connections to both Verizon FiOS and Time Warner cable for redundancy. The devices in question are a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, Sony Xperia Z3 and Nexus 7 Tablet. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I am setting ST up tonight and will be using the Gen 2 Nexus 7 tablet. Ill let you know if the App crashes. The N7 is running the latest version of Marshmallow.

-Ron

Not seeing this here on:

Nexus 7 on 4.4.4
Nexus 7 (2013) on 6.0.1
Nexus 6P on 6.0.1
Moto X on 5.1
Moto X (2014) on 6.0.

You might try an FDR on one of your devices to see if that fixes it. You possibly have an app on all of your devices whose BG process(es) is causing the SmartThings app to crash.

1 Like

Having same thing. It just stops working on WiFi. Magically solves itself after time. Has happened to me 5 times so far.

The app crashed twice, both times while adding a device, on my N7 2013 running marshmallow. I just restarted the app and it recovered with the changes I made right before it crashed. I was also on wifi at the time but was well beyond the login stage when they happened. I have noticed that it rapidly drains the battery though.