Anyone using a Yale Smart Lock? (UK)

Must admit, would make sense to open outward both for fire escape reasons and to make it more difficult to kick open the door. Never realised we were different in the UK in this way!

Depending on the style of door it would put the hinges on the outside too, which could be a security issue. Also makes it more difficult for emergency services to enter.

I think it stems from regulations covering doors over steps, you canā€™t have a door opening out over a step as it could mask the drop, it also means you have to step backward down a step to open the door.

Iā€™ve got the Yale Keyfree installed. It has a sliding slot on the front with a key access so you can open it that way if the battery is dead and the keypad is not working, thereā€™s also a little terminal connection so you can hold a battery on it to give it enough juice to open if the battery is dead (I just keep a spare battery for it in the porch,

The door works pretty good and can be configured with Rboyā€™s app to do a lot of extra functions. I can set mine to unlock as I approach the door, lock when I leave/run a routine and I can enable ā€œpassage modeā€ so the handle works (normally there is a user configured timeout where the outside handle disengages to stop anyone opening the door once you enter).

Itā€™s got a temper alarm too which sounds if someone tries to dismantle the lock. I can program one time codes and also ST can notify me when each code is used, so potential to track who came home.

From the inside, anyone can open it by pressing the button on the handle - which means easy to leave in an emergency but also if someone has broken in to your house, they can just lift the handle and walk out the front door.

Thereā€™s also a child mode, when activated, the handle will set off an alarm when opened. Good to ensure the little ones donā€™t wander off into the street!

1 Like

Hi Andrew. Very interested in your post. I have a toddler and the free-exit thing bothered my wife and i as my daughter could just leave; but youā€™re saying it has both a button and child alarm. Great.

Did you fit it yourself? Iā€™d like to but Iā€™d like to see the details of pre-reqs before i commit Is there anything you can share with me such as diagrams or instructions Yale give to check measurements before installation?

Thanks in advance

Hi Rob.

Fitting Instructions are available at: (for the Keyless Connected Keylock)
http://mpc.assaabloy.com/yalefile//Fetchfile.aspx?id=25055&dl=1

Itā€™s got diagrams and templates for sizing.

Iā€™ve got one installed and fitted right over the existing office nightlatch key hole.

Hope that helps
Matt

And for the KeyFree Connected:

http://mpc.assaabloy.com/yalefile//Fetchfile.aspx?id=27094&dl=1

Just to add to the below comments.
The button press to open door flummoxes most adults so I doubt any child would have the smarts to work it out!

Mine was fitted by an approved Yale locksmith - it was included in the price of the lock.

Ah. I though the discussion was about the keyfree lock (the one for multipoint locks) but i think you guys are referring to the keyless lockā€¦ have i got the wrong thread?

Mine is the Keyfree for multipoint locks

Matt. Andrew. Thank you. I am now with the programme and will read the instructions. Andrew good to know your points on the keyfree were valid. Rob

I am using the latest Yale smart lock that was released in December, it has no key at all, you use tags, your mobile, a fob or z-wave.

Above you can see the lock being unlocked by ST and z-wave.

The video above shows the door being unlocked by RFID.

This Smart Lock is for UK multi lock point doors.

Hi, when using the Yale lock with Smartthings, can you have temporary keys? One of the features I really like about others I have read is the ability to give a key to someone that either only works for the next week, or only works between 12 and 1 on a monday (for example)

thanks

I have the Yale lock wich has a keypad only (no traditional key in other words.)
Youā€™re able to assign a pin for a limited time (after which it will stop working) on the lock itself.
But an easier way would be to use an ST smartapp (like Lock Manager) with the lock, which enables you to add users, assign pin codes to them and afterwards you can simply delete the user. Lock Manager has a function called ā€œHow many uses before burnā€, i.e. delete the user after 5 uses.
Not what youā€™re asking, but with Smartlock, youā€™re also able to set up schedules in respect of each user (limit access to certain days of the week / times etc.)
Hope this gives you a better idea of what is possible.

create thanks that sounds excellent

Hi all. Iā€™m scouring the web, unsuccessfully, for a spare turn limiter for the Yale Keyless smart lock (see pic) - hopefully someone has one they didnā€™t need, Iā€™d be happy to pay for UK postage.

Thanks

@Ben_Ramadan
I have in the past had to ring Yale UK for assistance and they maybe able to help supply you with a spare turn limiter. As an example they have helped various customers get replacement Z-Wave v2 modules as the first batch had a battery drain issue.

Like most large corporates getting the right phone number is difficult but trying starting off with this one - 01902 364606

Sadly they have not solved my issue which was that my Yale Keyless lock would not pair to Smartthings with a v2 module but would with a v1 module.

Thanks so much John, thatā€™s very helpful indeed.

Ben