Anyone seen Wally?

Meet Wally - a moisture sensor for $299. I guess the feature that makes this worth $299 (instead of the $50 moisture sensors you can already get on the market) is the fact that you don’t need to change the battery for 10 years?

Actually I think the wireless technology they’re using is more interesting than the actual product:

“The wild thing is that the company says no batteries are needed, with the system set to work continuously for 10 years. It does this by bypassing traditional Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections, instead using the copper wiring in the walls of a home as an antenna. (More on the technology behind the system here).”

Also, in all fairness in regards to the price, you get 6 sensors, and they sense more than just a water leak:

True - I didn’t catch the fact that you get 6 sensors.

SNUPI slides are here: http://www.gabeacohn.com/pdf/Cohn_SNUPI_HotWater13_talk.pdf

Note that it’s a sensor network, i.e. nodes can only transmit data.

Is there any integration with SmartThings yet?

Wally does have an API… not sure if it can be used to integrate into Smarthings
this is the only thing holding me back from buying it as i dont want yet another APP / Interface to monitor

I’ve seen this before, what interests me is the moisture sensors also sensing humidity. I wish the SmartSense one did. I can see many cases where the local humidity rises long before the puddle reaches the contacts on a moisture sensor.