Any word on the smartthings "extend" for Samsung TV?

Just bought a new samsung 2016 tv and some “things”. I purposely did not buy the hub because the tv can act as a hub. But when is the extend coming out?!

1 Like

From the support page:

When will the Extend be available?
The Extend will be available later in 2016.

I’ve heard it will be available right after the V2 migration tool is released. :wink:

4 Likes

As far as I can tell we are more than halfway through 2016. Maybe they should have announced for 2017.

1 Like

Hope not, I just sent back a hub which I bought before I knew the new TV had it built in.

Have 20+ devices on the way and kind of hoping to have a way to control them !

They call the 2016 Samsung smart tvs with “Smart Hub” technology, but I’m not sure it relates to the smartthings platform. I honestly think it’s two different things.

From their website: “Samsung is changing the rules of watching TV with its new Smart Hub. A highly advanced gateway, Smart Hub allows you to search and access content quickly and easily.”

It doesn’t say anything whatsoever about controlling IOT devices. Am I wrong?

Derek

You’re not wrong, you’re just looking at a different feature. The “Smart hub” technology is something specific to the UI on the television.

There was a completely separate announcement that “SmartThings” would be included in all 2016 high-end Samsung televisions as a “hubless” IOT feature. The “extend” stick is what will give that feature the ability to talk to zigbee and zwave devices. However, it has not been released yet.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-reveals-entire-2016-smart-tv-line-up-will-be-iot-ready

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I hadn’t see the IoT reference before.

Cheers!
Derek

1 Like

Looks like tumbleweeds here. Guess I’m going to have to go out and buy a real hub here unfortunately … disappointing but Oh well.

You would think someone could at least provide us with an update. When you buy the tv, it comes with a card giving instructions on how to get one yet all it does is take you to a webpage to sign up for future information.

Ironically, I planned on going to Best Buy tomorrow and purchasing a new Samsung 65" and was just thinking about this earlier today and the I see all this “chatter”. I was going to get the 6000 series, which isn’t eligible for the extend anyway.

TVs are compatible?

In the US, compatible Samsung TVs include 2016 7 Series UHD & 8, 9 Series SUHD.

Correct - it is the 2016 Series 7, 8 and 9 models. This is still in the works - stay tuned for updates!

1 Like

Wow thanks for checking in and thrilling us with such a vague statement. Here is a product that was used as a selling point for another Samsung product. There is even a card included when you buy the tv that tells you where to go to GET the product, not SIGN UP for more information. There has been no updates on this in months other than, Hand in there, It’s Still Coming, stay tuned for updates. There have been ZERO updates so far.

5 Likes

Indeed. My devices are going in next week so now I have to buy the external hub because there is zero chance this is coming anytime soon. Awesome

I ended up buying a Sony Tv today :slight_smile:

Don’t forget, unless this has changed, only the 2016 SUHD TV’s contain the actual hub, the 2015 TV’s (not sure which) and the 2016 UHD TV’s do not contain the hub but are supposed to be able to be integrated.

Set backs happen, the outages this year probably pushed back the dates of a LOT of things, if ST’s cloud can’t handle the load they had already, what’s going to happen when several thousand new users join with the 2016 TV’s.

1 Like

Samsung sells over 50,000 SUHD TVs per month in the US. They have over a third of the global market, which sells more than 6 million units per year. Granted, 60% of those sell into China, but the US still buys plenty.

http://4k.com/news/4k-tv-shipments-exploded-upwards-6-half-million-2014/

(In industry terms “4K” and “SUHD” are very similar.)

1 Like

[quote=“JDRoberts, post:16, topic:52692, full:true”]Samsung sells over 50,000 SUHD TVs per month in the US. They have over a third of the global market, which sells more than 6 million units per year. Granted, 60% of those sell into China, but the US still buys plenty.

(In industry terms “4K” and “SUHD” are very similar.)
[/quote]

Sweet jebus! I knew I was probably grossly underestimating but not by THAT much!!! That being said, need to make the distinction between UHD and what Samsung call “SUHD”, because more letters and numbers is better right?

Their SUHD sets are basically their higher models and it was supposedly only the 2016 SUHD sets (not their ‘plain’ UHD sets) that would contain the ST hub.

Sweet jebus! I knew I was probably grossly underestimating but not by THAT much!!! That being said, need to make the distinction between UHD and what Samsung call “SUHD”, because more letters and numbers is better right?

Their SUHD sets are basically their higher models and it was supposedly only the 2016 SUHD sets (not their ‘plain’ UHD sets) that would contain the ST hub.
[/quote]

Yep. And the numbers above are only for the SUHD models. Samsung sells over 4 million televisions a year. SUHD models are around 20% of that, depending on country, but it’s still a really big number.

This is why I’m 100% sure that Samsung is not going to release any SmartThings features on the television if there’s anyway that they could damage television sales.

Also why my personal expectation, although Samsung has not said anything at all about this, is that the SmartThings features on the television will be a very limited set compared to what’s available with the hub. Maybe no options for custom code at all. Again, SmartThings staff and Samsung staff have said nothing about this one way or the other, this is pure guesswork on my part. But they never said the TV would “contain the hub.” Instead they called it a “hubless system.” But no details at all on the features other than that there would be a dongle with zigbee/zwave antennas.

Samsung wants an integration between their security cameras and their televisions. How much more than that they want/need just isn’t clear yet. But I don’t see it being a full port of the existing SmartThings features to the television. We’ll see. The TV version could end up being identical in functionality to harmony’s hub extender. There’s just no way to tell yet.

That article looks like it’s just referring to 4k/UHD sets in general, not specifically (but including) the 4k flagship sets that Samsung call SUHD which would be the only ones that actually have the hub in it.

We don’t know much about the upcoming television integration, but we do know it won’t “have the hub in it.”

edited to note that @geko in post 22 below rightly pointed out that the original press release did say the TV would have hub technology. We’ll just have to see exactly what gets delivered. :sunglasses: