Any word on the smartthings "extend" for Samsung TV?

I don’t think that’s enabled yet. I’ll see about updating that page.

How do I get a SmartThings Extend?
A SmartThings Extend is only available to people who have been invited to join the SmartThings Extend Early Access Program.

Although I’m not personally interested in extend. I’m very happy that progress is being made as it shows that smartthings as a platform is growing rather than stagnating.

I’m interested in beta testing the SmartThings Extend.
I have a KS9000 SUHD Series Samsung 65’ TV.
I received the same message about "Plug in your SmartThings Extend"
How do I get one?
I signed up with my email address but no response.

Thank you!

I have one of those TVs that is 2-3 years old that Samsung made with upgradable hardware so they would last longer. They have never released an updated module for my tv.

:-1:

1 Like

you need to develop a stick or adapter or whatever to plug into smart tvs that are older than 2016 that do not come with this option. the adapter should at a minimum be able to turn the TV on and off; and allow you to set the sleep timer. Pluses would be to change channels, open apps such as Netflix and play a movie or TV series, etc. It would also be great to be able to open up the web browser and verbally say a search instead of having to type it. Moving to the future, record a program from an Antenna TV for playback at a later time.

I purchased a Samsung SUHD during the Black Friday sales. I was pretty excited about incorporating SmartThings into the TV’s “smart hub.” The way that is apparently done is with a device SmartThings calls “Extend.” As others have stated, the card enclosed with the TV tells you to obtain your free Extend device online. The online webpage talks of a preview that is open by invitation only. I submitted my email and didn’t hear a word … not even an acknowledgement. I then emailed SmartThings support. Below is the response I received. The response strikes me as more than a little smug given the thousands of dollars I have spent on Samsung products.

@tyler How do I get invited to the SmartThings Extend Early Access Program? I have the TV, and I have an existing ST hub.

Post 80???

Did that already. No dice. Hoping Tyler can get me in. I contacted support as well. My eyesight is fine.

I recieved mine too and it does not work. I was promised a working Extend by July when I bought the TV in April. Now I read a beta test??? Where has Samsung quality gone?

Just bought a new KS8000 expecting to be able to add it as a “thing” only to find out in this thread that I’ll need to purchase a Harmony Hub so that I can control my Samsung SmartTV with Samsung SmartThings… Makes sense.

1 Like

There’s an app that controls my 65" curved SUHD

Do you mind posting the path to the app you installed? I always have difficulty finding these apps without a search function that I’m aware of…

In addition to the Harmony Hub, you may want to consider adding an Amazon Echo. With the Harmony Hub and Echo with its voice capabilities, you can do things like “Alexa, turn on TV,” “Alexa, turn on ESPN,” or “Alexa, turn on Blu-Ray.” A Hue Hub with color bulbs can be synced with the changing sounds of a movie or your favorite team’s colors. Wrap the whole thing with a Bose Acoustimass sound system and you might struggle leaving the family room. I know … but if you’re going to spend the big bucks on a SUHD TV, spend a few more and do it right. :slight_smile:

Took a lot of digging…

I did make some tv specific tweaks in code for mine, you may find that you need to do the same.

Oh I should have mentioned I’ve blanketed my home in Echo Dots to make sure all the lights are voice controllable :grin:

How well does the Harmony hub functionality integrate with ST? Can you add TV functions to routines and such? Thanks

Channel selection is not a problem … Harmony Hub with Echo does great. I kept it simple and named the Harmony activity the channel name; e.g., ESPN, ABC, TNT, etc. What got me started was the wife wanted an easy way to turn on the food channel … WAF is off-the-charts high on this one!

I haven’t tried to do things like increase the volume, change Sirius channels, or change sections on a blu-ray … yet. With the SmartApp posted just a minute ago (thanks @Crussell!) , I think all of that is going to be pretty straightforward.

FWIW this code is super old and is not being used for any of our newer projects with the Samsung Smart TVs.

I realize that, but there is also nothing else out there (where’s the extend?) Thats also why I had to modify some of the contents and now it works perfectly on 3 new Samsung SUHD tv’s… Better than some of the new stuff even.

If you care to share some of the code for the new stuff I will gladly contribute :grinning:

Just to add a bit of color to this, we’ve seen some odd behavior with this particular Device Type Handler.

If it works for you… .great!

However if you find yourself having trouble with routines or automations when the TV is involved, try removing the TV from the automation.