Any word on the smartthings "extend" for Samsung TV?

Any news or has it been dropped.

Just to update that I got a Smartthings extend and it worked.
Well that was until Samsung updated the TV firmware :angry:

Iā€™m in the UK, with a new 4k Samsung, and last night I connected it to ST very easily. I can turn it on/off, volume up and down, and change the picture/sound modes.

I can not change the source, set a channel or open the settings menu but I never really expected that.

What tv firmware is you tv on?
I wouldnā€™t do a tv update if I was you.

Hi Tezz, great to hear that you got the extend. How did you managed that? I have had nothing from Smartthing/Samsung.

I sent for a Smartthings link. Plugged it into the TVs USB port and it worked.

But then I was stupid and let the TV update and Samsung stopped ST Link working.
The ST Link has a sticker on it. When I peeled it off the was the original Smartthings Extend logo!

Iā€™ve been trying to find a company in the UK that will downgrade the firmware.
But it does prove that if you are in the UK you can send the 2016 TV back for a full refund.

I take it you bought a US version?

With regards to the full refund, where did you get this information and how do we go about doing it?

Cheers

Steve

Yes the US version.

In the european union\UK itā€™s called mis-sold.

If a person bought a product on the information that was given out by the company and only bought it for that reason.
And the said company does not abide by itā€™s promise, you get your money back.

I.E Samsung\SmartThings are still advertising here that if you buy a 2016 Samsung TV you will get a free
Extend dongle. They didnā€™t bring it out so itā€™s money back time.

Samsung have confirmed that after speaking to their legal dept I can have a full refund.
I havenā€™t made my mind up as I love the TV. But with smartthings not working with TVs anymore( ST are working on it) it maybe better to go to LG.
Also we know that smartthings\Samsung donā€™t keep their promise, so the TV bug may never be fixed.

Talk to CAB and tell you MEP and MP.
On a side note. If the european union ever heard about this, they would sue both Samsung\SmartThings.
the European union can take up to 20% of each companies profits for a year. OCH :smile:

For those in the EU

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home.show&lng=EN

Greetings from Nordic-region where at Samsung legal department point of view we canā€™t trust any info Samsung gave/give for international press on their product unveils/launches. Here is the story.

YEAYY! A NEW TV WITH HOME AUTOMATION HUB!

I have 2016 Samsung SUHD TV which I bought because I was looking for home automation hub and a TV at the same time. This purchase seemed just right because of SmartThings Extend and the TV had good reviews.

OH DAMN, NO HOME AUTOMATION HUB AFTER ALL!

Well we didnā€™t get the SmartThings Extend even over a year after. Iā€™m a man of principle and donā€™t like to get cheated especially by these huge corporations. I finally decided to act and wrote very detailed complaint to European Commission Online Dispute Resolution (linked above) which I also sent via mail to Samsung support and to my reseller.

Iā€™M THE LEGAL REPRESENTATIVE

Week after Samsung legal department representative called me and said that they have not advertised SmartThings Extend on Nordic-region (only at US) and therefore they didnā€™t give false product information or make an Mis-Sold.

OH REALLY? WELLā€¦

We all seek information about products we buy (especially electronics) trough internet. Now it even seems like when Samsung or any other company unveils a new product and tells about it in a big event via worldwide cast/stream it will only apply to country where they are streaming from.

IF THAT IS THE CASE THENā€¦

Why the hell they have these big unveiling / product launch events for international press if the product information they give would only concern the country where that event is held.

Now Iā€™m even more angry because I canā€™t trust any product information and not even the info what manufacturers give us on their product launch events. Canā€™t even trust the information Samsung gave me/us for example in Galaxy S8 launch which I also happen to own.

DAVID VS. GOLIATH

To win this case I would have to prove that Samsung did advertise SmartThings Extend feature on Nordic-market. Well I donā€™t have a time machine so if you can find any info or give an advice regarding this matter it would be helpful.

If I remember correctly then Samsung had and usually has ads and links to their product launches on their websites. Example new product launch on CES would have link/ad on some or on all Samsungā€™s Nordic websites. If this is the case, then their argument is false and the info they gave/give at product launches would also concern those countries from which they linked to the event.

I donā€™t know about where you are(I will look)
But as Samsung advertised in the UK(EU) that we would get the extend you have already caught them lying.
In fact Samsung are still advertising in the UK, that if you buy a KS TV you will still get a extend.

ā€œYour new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once youā€™ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi.ā€

ā€œyou will get a FREE Smartthings extend ectā€

Wouldnā€™t this come under the EU law of mis-selling?

Also in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ>

He says that everybody that buys a 2016 TV will get a free SmartThings extend.
He didnā€™t say UK\USA\Canada only did he :wink:

Yes tezz!

You are right. Iā€™m from Finland and this is an EU case, not just Nordic-region.

They have advertised this feature on European Union and even if they didnā€™t it would be absurd that information given in product launch events would only concern the country it was given from. There should be a mention which regions/countries the given information applies to and with Extend they should have said it was offered to United States of America customers only. These product unveil / launch events are intended to be international ā€“ we all know that. Now Samsung says that they arenā€™t.

I send to Samsung the same message I wrote above and linked to this forum conversation along with this remark:

ā€œI got call from your legal department regarding this case and their response can be read from the post I sent to SmartThings Community forum.

Now I would like them to confirm to me by email/writing the same thing they said me on the phone. I want your position regarding this matter to be written down, so I can pass it to the European Commission Online Dispute Resolution and to online community.

I think that the international community will be shocked to know that they canā€™t trust any info Samsung gave/give to their clients and to international press on their product unveils/launches because the information only concerns country where the event is held. That is absurd, and I will go through great deal of trouble to get this information to all forums and medias.

If you have any decency at all:

• You should write your view and response to our own SmartThings site forum!
  • From now on at the beginning of product unveil/launch event inform which regions/countries the information given applies to.

You can still comply to my original request and give my money back and Iā€™ll leave this be!ā€

Well I got a full refund because of no extend.
So that helps you.

Same situation here; can you provide contact info for person/group you corresponded with?

Iā€™m in the UK. But what I did was this.

I contacted Samsung TV support(who are useless) asked them where the extend is and when will I get it.
And can you down grade the firmware so you can use a Samsung LINK(same thing)

They donā€™t have a clue what a extend is. But they want to take control of your TV and reset it(yes really)
At the end of all this they should give you a ref number if not ask for one and donā€™t put the phone down until
you have it.

Wait a day or two. Now send a email to the CEO Email the CEO | Samsung United Kingdom
They them you have bought the TV because you needed the smartthings extend.
If it wasnā€™t for the extend you would never had bought the KS TV.

A day or 2 after call this UK based number 0330 726 1010 give them the number you got from the
first call to support. This is the way I did it. And in the end the CEO gave me a full refund.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes I forgot to say that support will tell you to contact smartthings support.
Just tell them that itā€™s the TV side thatā€™s bring it out or something like that.

Awesome, thank you for the very detailed response, I (and Iā€™m sure many others) really appreciate it!

Tezz how did they have you return the TV? If they didā€¦

Once you have agreed that you 100% want your refund and itā€™s agreed to.

The email that you to the CEO, the person will send you a Uplift code.
All you have to do is call the retailer where you bought the TV and give them the code.
They will come and pick it up free of charge. Donā€™t forget to take pictures of the screen\TV just in case.

Oh and they will offer you a smartthings hubā€¦just sayā€¦Thank you but no :slight_smile:

For those of you in the UK\EU read this thread iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsungā€™s J and K Series TVs - Samsung Community

Iā€™m also helping there. Start at page 70.

Went into Currys/PC World yesterday enquiring about TVā€™s.
Asked if they supported the Samsung ā€˜Extendā€™ and the guy didnā€™t know what I was talking about.
When I said it does the same, I believe, as the SmartThings stuff that you have in store, he replied really, didnā€™t know that.
He was very, very, knowledgeable about the TVā€™s though so I assume he has not been told about it and it has therefore been dropped.