Any word on the smartthings "extend" for Samsung TV?

All they will tell you is “The Extend is in a closed beta”. Literally nothing else.

Samsung is close to becoming the most valuable tech company in the world, passing Apple. The sad truth is that ST specifically has little competition and they don’t really care if some people avoid Samsung in the future. Most people won’t avoid Samsung or ST over this and Samsung isn’t going to react to anything less than a class action lawsuit because they don’t have to.

Come on Samsung! How long does it take! How many hoops you got to jump through to get this out! You can’t sell an item promising something and then don’t deliver that is false advertising! Either sort it out or if you can’t send a hub to everyone who bought the tv that are not getting the functionality they paid for! Can you please reply with time scales do not ignore this!

Here’s the latest scoop: the Extend has been renamed “Extinct”. :wink:

2 Likes

No, it has just been rescheduled behind the enabling of Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Looks like Samsung will be sued by the EU for telling lies.

I’ve seen this advertised in the UK
"Your new TV will come with the SmartThings Extend, a small USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. Once you’ve done this, switch on your TV and connect to Wi-Fi."

This was on my TVs box
"Turn your compatible Samsung TV into the brain of your smart home with the SmartThings Extend"

In the EU they will take up to 20% of Samsung’s profits for one year.
But I do hope they bring out the dongle asap before it gets nasty.

This page was updated last month. Is it promising?

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=656721&modelname=F-H-ETH-001&modelcode=F-H-ETH-001&session_id=YLqy4lTvTJqFL4w2QxPgnczvbThr9hmCjJ1nCcPqGlRsnnQYncHN%21-1821090532%21295241792%211489562216656&from_osc=&homeid=635443

I wouldn’t call it promising as they didn’t even bother to update the release date of “later in 2016”.

Beta testing ended a long time ago. Hasn’t been any updates. Still just a dashboard. Can sometimes log you out due to the TV not giving it enough constant power to the usb slot. Not a hub replacement. Way better options for notifications out there.

Do you think that Smartthings Extend will ever come out?

Extend is the reason I bought my KS9500 UK TV a few months ago. But UK\off shore support haven’t got a clue about it.
The Samsung UK head office haven’t heard about the Extend(If I believe them).
Does anyone know how to contact Smartthings with out going through Samsung?

Thanks

Well here we are, almost a year after I bought my TV and still no Extend dongle, even though it was promised in 2016.

Searching for it on google no longer pulls up A SINGLE Samsung or Smartthings page on it. Every link anyone has ever posted is gone.

Samsung is trying to retcon the extend and all of their promises of “Samsung Smart TV’s controlling your home automation support built in out of the box” to disappear.

Samsung and the Smartthings organizations have made zero effort to explain the situation to their customers. They stalled us as long as they could saying it was coming soon, and then they clammed up and started deleting references to it. If this isn’t deceptive advertising and ripping off the consumer then I don’t know what is.

Why hasn’t anyone started a class action lawsuit yet? This is a slam dunk, an open and shut case. They very clearly advertised the product had features it didn’t, then quietly tried to kill it without their customers finding out.

“If your KS8000 is a North American version (begins with UN), you should be able to add it a device using the martketplace Samsund products section (some say the V1 hub wont work with it). For the notifications, the DTH exposes deviceNotifications () in CoRE. It can be found in the Control Any Device area under Notification Devices once it is a thing. You can enter text as a string value that will be displayed on the TV following a trigger event.”

Okay THIS does not help. In almost every Extend thread, there is always that one guy that starts talking about having smartthings recognize the TV. This muddies the discussion and it’s disingenuous and has nothing to do with the subject of the extend. They are two completely different products.

Samsung television owners were promised we could control our home automation using an app on the television. We were then told a dongle would be released “shortly” that added this functionality, but it never came.

Being able to turn the TV off and on from Smartthings IS NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL. All it does is confuse some people, or trick the gullible into thinking this is what they were waiting for. Take it to a different thread.

You guys realize you can just go buy a ST hub for like $80 right? Yeah it sucks that they seem to have mislead about these TVs coming with the functionality built-in, but instead of stressing and complaining about it for such a long time why not just go buy a hub and be happy. Don’t sweat the small stuff… Just my two cents.

1 Like

You are replying about a post 7 months ago. I was merely letting those
waiting on an extend to control their TVs that an option to control
specific tv’s had become available.

Rhoffer I’m sorry, I’m frustrated and I shouldn’t have taken it out on you. The Extend device isn’t so people can control their tv’s though, it’s so their tv’s can control their smart home. 2 different things. Posting about the other, in a thread for the one, is confusing but I could have said it nicer.

Because the Hub 2 won’t do what we have built in to our TVs.

As I’ve already said. Samsung\smartthings are being investigated by the EU and the UK gov.

What’s funny is the extend doesn’t do this either or at least they never implemented it.

You must of missed the video. But just for you

So you have\had a Extend then?

There was a beta test of this product, but I don’t think someone who was in the beta is allowed to say the were in the beta? Either way it doesn’t do what everyone thought it would and you are better off with a hub. If you already have a hub, this is pointless.

Thank you for confirming the beta is over.
What one thinks it may or not do. Is not the same as Samsung tell people what it will/should do.

And those in the EU that did buy the product on what they was told/shown.

Under EU and UK law this is miss selling.