Any way to directly connect to the hub?

(Brooklynite) #1

Is there any way to directly connect to my hub without going through Samsung servers? When I did this with my FLIR security cameras, it became so much faster, I am hoping I was hoping I can do the same but if I cannot, I may have to return this to BEstbuy and buy the Micasa Vera whch does allow direct connection with port forwarding and stuff.

(Jimmy) #2

Nope. Cloud only except for limited use cases.

(Brooklynite) #3

Just to clarify, that is why it takes so long to process the commands from my phone to the lights, correct? It is so bad, I cannot really use 3 way switches from GoControl which have to go through the HUB to work, why do I need to go all the way to Samsung severs to turn off my light? Why are they collecting all this data? Advertisement??

(Chris) #4

Off topic, but how did you set up direct connection to your FLIR system? I have a Lorex system, made by FLIR, wondering if I can do the same.

(Brooklynite) #5

Yes, the first thing is to find your FLIR’s internal IP address, you can do this using this app called FING on your phone. It wwll be something like 192.168.1.7 for example. The last two numbers could be different in your case.

Next step is to open access to that particular internal IP, so you go to your router’s setting (typically by typicallly 92.168.1.1 in chrome) and find PORT FORWARDING and forward all requests to 35000 to 192.168.1.7:35000. Your router could use different terminology. Then SAVE this inside the router, you may have to reboot the router.

Nest step is to find your home’s IPV4 IP address, this could be something like 104.56.43.103, you can find this by going to chrome and typing, what is my IP and go through many sites that give you this info.

Then go to the FLIR Cloud app on your phone and type, go to Device Manager, hit the + sign, chaneg the “Device ID” to “IP/Domain”, Type a name, type the IP, dont change the client port (unless you know what you are doing), type in the password and hi connect.

If your home IP changes, which is very rare, the system drops working so you can use a DDNS service to automatically chase it down, but its not secure and slows you down, so I dont do DDNS.

Most manufacturers dont want to give people long instructions so rather run their own servers and basically do the DDNS but in their own proprietary way, plus collect usage info and what not which I dont like.

If you change default port from 35000 and default username from admin to something else, you become a tiny bit more secure as it makes it harder to hack.

(Chris) #6

Awesome, thanks for the detailed instructions. I’m tired of how long it takes to load a camera stream and how choppy it is after loading, this will be a huge help :slight_smile:

(Chris) #7

Holy wow, this is way better! I side loaded the FLIR app on my two Fire TVs as well so I can see the cameras on both TVs, it’s super choppy now, will do this to them as well. I suppose I can use the internal IP for them since they are on the same network instead of using my external DDNS address.

Thanks again!

(Jimmy) #8

I don’t have go control switches, but since the commands do go to the cloud and back there could be varying factors like data connection etc. Fwiw my GE switches are almost instant, so you might have some other issue going on.

(Chris) #9

Local control has been a touchy subject, and we certainly haven’t delivered the rich, local experience that we promised around this time last year. That being said, SmartThings (by design) will always be reliant on the cloud.

Local control is important to a lot of people for a variety of different reasons, and if you’d like to build a Smart Home that doesn’t connect to any cloud then SmartThings might not be the right solution for you. I say this now because ultimately, we don’t want to waste your time if you know for sure that this doesn’t fit your needs.

Either way, you’re welcome here on our forums :smiley:

(Adam V) #10

I think a lot of people do not want to: [quote=“csuk, post:9, topic:67140”]
build a Smart Home that doesn’t connect to any cloud
[/quote]
but quite reasonably they’d like local devices and automations to process locally so that they can be more efficient, and so that in the event that there is an internet outage (unfortunately too common) the basics still function.

That is a totally fair and reasonable use case and it is what Smartthings sold us with Hub 2.0 and has yet to deliver.

What is the status? how long until we get it?

(Chris) #11

There is significant work being done on local processing right now, but I can’t make any promises as far as timeline/scope is concerned, as I myself am not totally familiar with the upcoming changes. Perhaps @slagle can weigh in

(Mike Maxwell) #12

There’s a reasonable number of devices that are local now, the real deal breaker here are the apps, smart lighting being the only one, and only if you don’t include the lux option. So for me, less that 5% of my desired automations can be run local.
The device types for actuators are a no go, I dislike the stock ones for the most part.

(Brooklynite) #13

THANK YOU ALL .

I am now officially PISSED off after receiving your feedbacks.

I feel cheated. I am glad I get to hold on to this until Jan 31st, 2017 to give it another try and I will SEND IT BACK if I cant directly connect to it via future updates. Sorry if I dont speak the developer lingo, but this is a major set back and violation of privacy.

Not even while Im on WIFI?? WTF?!

There should be a HUGE BOLD WARNING for IDIOTS like me who buy it, right on the packaging that clearly states in bold lettering, similar to cancer warnings on cigarettes:

USE OF CLOUD BASED CONTROL HUB LIKE THIS MEANS YOUR COMMANDS WILL BE 10X SLOWER COMPARED TO A DIRECT IP CONNECTION.

THIS PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK WITHOUT 100% CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET.

THIS PRODUCT MAY TRACK AND RECORDS YOUR ACTIVITIES AND MAY SELL THE DATA TO “ADVERTISERS” (Snowden somewhere?).

IF YOUR INTERNET IS DISCONNECTED FOR ANY REASON YOU MAY NOT EVEN BE ABLE TO TURN ON THE LIGHT USING THE SWITCH ON THE WALL.

THIS PRODUCT DOES RELAY YOUR SWITCH COMMAND FROM YOUR APP OR YOUR WALL SWITCH, ALL THE WAY AROUND THE WORLD BACK TO THE LIGHT NEXT TO THE SWITCH, THEREFORE YOU ARE SUBJECT TO ALL SORTS OF PING DELAYS NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR GIGABIT FIBER ISP IS.

Cloud is a deal breaker for everything.

That is why every friggin website on the planet is pushing you to download their app, go to Yahoo.com or Yelp.com or Linkedin.com for example to see how far they push you to download their apps.

Samsung cannot get the battery right in their flagship phone, if anyone thinks they can provide a secure connection for Smartthings, that person is a fool in my book.

Why do developers put up with this crap, I don’t get it.

(Jack Presley) #14

For what it’s worth, I have ST2, Wink1, Wink2, and just returned a VeraPlus. I got the Wink hub because I didn’t want to pay $180 a switch for Control4 switches.

If you are tech savvy, and willing to try and break in to an old, well established community, you might like Vera. Those folks have been around for many, many years. I find them slow to adapt and slow to adopt new tech.

If you want more of consumer experience, you might buy a used Wink hub. They do have local control. But you should know they handle non-lutron z-wave switches differently than ST2. I don’t know how ST2 does it, perhaps a more sensitive radio, but status changes to a switch come back to the hub almost instantly. I’ve seen 30 second delays on Wink Hub2. Honestly, I sure wish I’d spent the extra $3 and gotten Zigbee Pro switches. But I digress.

Wink Hub2 is kicking their butts. I was never on hold for more than a minute or two when I called – now the wait times can be super long. Obviously they are struggling right now.

I feel your pain.

(Eric) #15

@brooklynite - Good bye.

(Robin) #16

All smart switches / modules I know of are hard wired to the light they are set to control… They should work instantly via physical press regardless of network connection.

And all this takes just milliseconds for me (with recent platform updates from ST which was great). Hard wired lights come on instantly, smartapps see the change a few ms later.

Do you really believe ST cares about your individual light on / off events etc.? Do you think they are sitting in some ivory tower jerking off on your daily routines?

I’m not sure if they sell the data or not, but if they do it will just be aggregated, anonymous metadata, with nothing to link it back to you. Ultimately such data helps them strengthen the network and monitor response times to improve things for everyone!

Not sure what an “advertiser” could do with such data beyond learning about general customer wishes. If this helps manufactures improve their devices and target their advertisements to specific regions, then I’m all for it!

If you want 100% privacy and security… Go live in Green Bank W.Va.

(Robin) #17

Are you a conspiracy theorist?

I love the LinkedIn app!!

(Yahoo sucks but for other reasons :sunglasses:)

(Alex) #18

There is not much reason to connect to the hub directly as there is nothing running on it from a user interface perspective. They would have to run the IDE on the hub to give you what you want and I don’t think that will ever happen. What you should mostly be concerned about is the percentage of stuff that can run locally versus the stuff that requires the cloud. I am NOT a fan of being reliant on the cloud for silly stuff like ‘turn my light on at sunset’ (or whatever - for those tempted to call me out for an inaccurate example) but I can see the value of more advanced features that can’t possibly be baked into the hub. I’d be VERY happy if ST came out with several more automation smartapps that increase the list of things we can reliably run on the hub. I have over 30, maybe 40 automations in Smart Lighting - which is pretty limited - just because I want them to run locally.

My internet connection (Uverse Gigapower - fiber to the house) has been rock solid in the past 2 years so if you have connectivity issues you should look into why and address that. When I get ST notices about malfunctions I rarely actually experienced them myself. I do occasionally get malfunctions where something I know should happen, does not, but I also design my automations to not be too invasive/excessive so if one fails… oh well… I will have to actually press that weird switch on the wall for once :wink:

(Bob) #19

Before I went down the road of buying an ST hub and committing to it I had a little think of what I wanted to achieve.
After a bit of research I ended up with ST. (Some will say you researched it and still committed to it. Idiot).
I knew what the platform was capable of and some of the drawbacks.
I do find it frustrating at times but I would say it works 98% of the time for me.
And when it doesn’t I press that square thing on the wall.

There is a wealth of information out there so surely you knew before you bought the hub you knew how it worked.

(Isaac) #20

Any updates on this?
I just got the ST3 and I’ve been trying to get the ST MQTT bridge working without a lot of luck. Local access would be nice. If I can’t work out the bridge, I may have to look into other hubs.