Expandable Zigbee Repeater Solution (With Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensors)

I updated the DTH to add preference to adjust the illuminance value. I have added this preference in the hubitat DTH a while ago.

I recently notice that SmartLight app in ST take illuminance value as integer. The SmartLight app setting has beta feature where you can specify at certain illuminance value the action will be taken. This is an issue when we are dealing with low light lux value between 0 and 1 as double.

Using the adjustment will change the illuminance to integer value. I do not think that doing this will give us the standard Lux value. However, it will let us use sensor with the smartlight app. This adjustment will change the calculation as follow.

Illuminance = MeasuredValue / factor.

You can enter factor in the latest preference to get the illum value range that make sense for you.

Here is how I come up with mine. I set this value to 10. Then, I put my room in reasonably dark (not pitch dark) where I may need light. If the reported number is too large for me to work with, I increase the factor until, I like the value. Then, I will use this value to determine the level that I need light.

FYI, the zigbee standard formula from sensor perspective is

MeasuredValue = 10,000 x log10 Illuminance + 1

Illuminance is sensor reading in Lux.
MeasuredValue is value sent in data payload by the sensor to report the lux value. This name is confusing to me. As the developer, I read this value measured from the sensor. This is actually a value zigbee want to report for a given illuminance lux value.

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone who had donated to my sensor project. I use those donation to purchase more sensors and build more board. This allow me to share the modules with more people. It also will let us learn how they behave in different homes or configurations.

I have more modules available for sharing today.

There are a few with PCB antennas. They usually go really fast. Please let PM me if you are interested. I will start a list. I also will send the modules as soon as possible. @east, I have reserved your additional request. Please PM me with your Zigbee radio preference.

I would appreciate $15 donation. This time around, I will include external antenna for radio that need them. These will require more expensive postage to send. If you are getting one with external antenna please also add $3 for shipping.

This is awesome. Once these are release stable, I’m in for a couple. Need to scatter these around the house to make my mesh stronger. Don’t really have an economical solution because I live in Canada

1 Like

Thanks to @joelw135 for finding out that the DTH does not show up in smart app such as ActionTiles and Webcore. In addition, thank you for providing a solution as well.

The DTH is now updated to add capability “sensor”.

If you guys need this fix, the DTH in github has been updated.

1 Like

All I did was the research, I contacted Terry from ActionTiles and he gave me a fix.

Hey @ShadowVlican, thanks for bring this point up. It is useful to get some sense what stage the module is.

The module is built based on TI CC2530. This is a very old and mature 802.15.4 SOC chip from TI. There has been plenty reference board made by TI. The vendor I bought the radio, which you can find as well in ebay, may have taken TI reference design. I am pretty satisfied with the performance so far. On my side, I just made a board to connect the sensor to the Zigbee Radio. When I started, I use cable and soldered them together. It is just taking too much time to make them with soldering wire. That is why I made my board. I want to have the Zigbee Radio and sensors without manually wiring them. I can build 6 modules at the same time with reflow oven. This is good enough for hobbyist like myself.

On software front, TI Stack perhaps is as standard as it can be. It is Zigbee Pro 2015 (a.k.a Zigbee 3.0) compliance.

On my DTH end, I think I got most all the stuff for DTH working. With the help and input from a lot of member here, DTH will be more and more mature. For example, it is just yesterday we found a way to make the Device available to be used in ActionTiles and many other smart app.

In my setting (home), I have a couple module that has run for more than a month without restart. They has not miss a beat in term or reporting temperature, light and etc.

For me, It is just a matter testing the module in the wild. It would be exciting to see how it work in different home. In addition, I open up some diagnostic information to help as much as possible for the user of the module to know more about their Zigbee Network. Of course, this is view in the perspective of the sensor module.

I hope this help you and everyone else to get some sense in regard to the stability of the module. When I started making this module, my expectation is not to work on bare bone platform. I do want to start somewhere where I can just connecting the dot.

2 Likes

I am having a problem adjusting the temperature of this device. My test repeater said 81 degrees, the actual temp was 85 degrees F. Si I said in the config to add +4 now it says 96 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

I now did a -6 at it reads correct, but not sure if it will be correct on refresh.

Zigbee read temperature in Celsius. That is what I use for adjustment. 1C adjustment is roughly 2F.

Yours is does not add up. Is it possible that you open up your log and perform a refresh? It will say what is the reading in celsius. Please remove your adjustment first.

You can then take your actual temp. If you do not have celcius measurement, you can convert your F to C for adjustment value.

Usually the reading is higher than actual. Can you double check the measurement?

my guess is that temperature scale is in Celsius since all devices are manufactured that way.
so you added 4°C and you should add 2.22°C

1 Like

Not sure why I got the strange reading but I think it corrected itself. Below is the log and screenshot.

:point_up::ok_hand:

Don’t understand why -6 worked. Doesn’t make sense.

The way I adjust mine is using the log to get my reading. I then would look at the difference between that reading and actual reading in C.

The adjustment accept decimal. It does not need to be -6. It can be 5.5. These adjustment are in DTH. It is not done in the Sensor. There should be no mystery in the calculation. If you review the code, you will see a simple addition math.

One thing I notice that your adjustment is -6 is too large. I did test this sensor before I ship. BME280 may have more less 2 degree C higher reading. I have seen this 2C off reported in some other forum. 6 degree C higher is strange. The sensor should be perpendicular to your floor. This will help with the air flow. The BME sensor should be oriented on the bottom. This is how I placed mine. You do not need to follow how I do it. You can always use the adjustment to calibrate the reading.

I will have to play with it to see why this is off. Now that it is set to the correct temperature, I will let it sit until tomorrow. Then I will be able to check for sure.

Typically I would want to get my offset a low as possible before I adjust my sensors. I would position it so that I get the lowest offset. Only then, I would enter the adjustment value.

Here is how I position mine.

Yes I see that, I have to find a 90 degree adapter as mine is vertical as in the photo I had sent you.
Look in the photo below.
It is on the HUB below the large surge protector

1 Like

Got it. I would rethink about placing the sensor on the hub. The reason I know this is that I use hub too to test multiple sensor modules at the same time. It end up the heat of the hub have too much influence on the sensor. You also have the sensor on top of the hub. I am guessing the heat of the hub radiated upward.

The heat such as hub is hard for our skin to sense. However, the sensor pickup this heat without any issue.

I know that it may not be realistic to change your setup. In this case, using that -6 offset maybe fine.

Here is how I test the modules.

With that setting I have to use larger offset.

I want to find a 90 degree USB adapter the plug it to the Surge protector which I think would work better.

Check out amazon1 and amazon2.