SmartThings Community

Another Zigbee Repeater Solution (With Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensors)

project_sensors

(Mavrrick) #82

I got mine yesterday. It is installed and working with your device handler. Letting it settle in.

(Mike) #83

Mine received yesterday. Connected and working well.

I got it yesterday. Connected and working well too. Btw, if you have chance can you provide the meaning of those parameters from “Childen” to “PacketDrop”.

(Iman Haryadi) #85

Thank you everyone. All modules are a counted for.

Here are some of the the parameter description. I will try to answer what is asked.

Children. For those who are familiar with Zigbee protocol. This is number of other zigbee node that associate themself to the sensor. What it meant is that those node will send outgoing packets through the sensor. The sensor is a zigbee router afterall. End devices will look to associate itself to a router or coordinator. I use this number to get some sense that the sensor play its role as router. This is only partial confirmation because the sensor can still be router and help extend the range of your zigbee network even if there is no end device connect to it.

Neighbor. Zigbee maintain a neighbor tables. This is different from routing table. There are a lot of detail. I do not typically want to remember the detail in my head. This table help with broadcast package. It also help in the case routing is not needed. If a packet destination is on neighbor list, a node can decide to send packet without routing it. It figure that I can see the destination, why not send it directly. The routing table is used when it see a packet that it cannot be delivered directly. It must be routed through another node in the routing table. I use this attribute to get some sense what how the sensor is performing. If I expect to see at least 10 neighbor, in this count, I see only 3. I get some sense that something is wrong. Perhaps the antenna is not directed optimally. Perhaps the antenna is not matching for those who use external antenna.

Packet drop. The the stack and the sensor radio hardware has some capability to detect bad packets. It has some crc checking and etc,etc. When a packet failed one of this checking, the stack will update this count. It is basically a count of dropped receive packet. My experience, when you have interference with wifi or perhaps bluetooth, is this number will increase over time. In my home, I am fortunate enough that I do not see this issue.

DecryptFailure. It is a count of decryption problem the stack experience. When you have huge Packet Drop, you have tendency of this count is also huge. What is interesting is if you have low packet drop and huge DecryptFailure. In this case, I would suspect that someone try to brute force your zigbee network. The packet is legit but the key is not valid for your network. I could imagine that this is a work of potential hacker. With the current zigbee implementation, there is an easier zigbee vulnerability to exploit. In the future when the vulnerability is fully closed, I suspect we could see an increase of brute force attack. This is where this parameter can come handy.

TxFail and TxRetry are obvious. They relate to transmission error. The key thing about this error is the delta between TxFail and TxRetry. Transmission will always have error. As long as this number does not increase at huge number, they are fine. It will show that your zigbee network is good. I would set a base line by observing what kind of error count per day for a few days. If you do not have any issue with that count, that would be your base line. If you see a extreme jump in the future days, you can tell that something is wrong with your network.

I want to expose these attributes. I am hoping to help you guys to get some sense what happen in your zigbee network.

(MacTechGenius) #86

My repeater (both of them) stopped refreshing so I had to unplug it and plug it back in and it started displaying updates status again

(Iman Haryadi) #87

Hi Kamran, Other than enviroment sensor attributes, you must press refresh button on the dth. They do not auto refresh. You do not need to un plug/plug back in.

(MacTechGenius) #88

The refresh button wasn’t updating any information.

(Iman Haryadi) #89

Actually, in that case, the module may have lost connection. I remember that I saw your data show a lot of packet drop. Have you been able to double check if you have interference issue with wifi? I have modules that run close to a month. They are not showing packet drops.

(Alec McLure) #90

Hello, I just saw this - as you know I’m currently successfully using Xbee repeaters for my Xiaomis - have leak sensor, old and new motion sensor, old and new temp sensor. I also have XCTU set up to map.

Let me know if you still would like a tester - thought it sounds like I’m too late to the game.

Thanks!
Alec

(Iman Haryadi) #91

Just incase if anyone need dth for hubitat, here is the link.

(Iman Haryadi) #92

I have updated the DTH. I clean up the code here and there.

I also add temperature filtering. The sensor sample all sensor value at 1 Hz at the module. Zigbee can request to report the value every second potentially.

This type of reading is different from your thermostat. If you use the sensor full potential reading, you will read temperature at value every second which include the temperature changes at that given moment. Some may call this noise especially if you are looking for thermostat way of reading temperature. As room temperature sensor, I also understand that some of us want to reduce the noises. For example, when door is open and close, I do not want my temperature reading changes (especially when you have big temperature indoor and outdoor).

I am adding temperature filter coefficient for those us who want to make the reading less sensitive to temporary changes in the reading. It is in the setting page with the new DTH. You can set coefficient between 0 to 1. A value of 0 does not really make sense. Please do not use them. A small value will make the temperature reading slow therefore it will filter short term temperature changes. A value of 1 will remove the filter. For indoor temperature, a coefficient of .40 should be be good balance.

For myself, I do have some cases where I do not want to filter my reading. I have some application in mind that I want to measure the rate of temperature change as is. In this case, I set the coefficient to 1.

I want to share with everyone that there is a lot of way to design temperature reading. Some sensor out there with battery power will take a particular assumption and optimize it for that specific scenario. They could have been filtering in the module and reporting the value as little as possible. Having the sensor powered from dc supply, we do not have this restriction. We can send sensor reading every second. We can then interpret the reading by filtering and apply compensation logic we want at DTH level. This will make more flexible sensor. It can also make the sensor applicable to different kind of use. Interpreting a sensor reading is not all the same by any measure. Everyone probably want to read them differently. This is the reason for the DTH update with the configurable filter coeficient.

(Iman Haryadi) #93

@SpruceCurrent, Have you gotten your sensor? I just want to make sure you got yours.

(MacTechGenius) #94

I noticed that after a week or so…I need to reboot the repeater as it stops repeating and doesn’t display an update when I hit refresh. Is there anything you recommend?

Thanks

(Iman Haryadi) #95

Hi Kamran,

I was wondering if you have find out more in regard to your packet drop count? The number is too high.

I have about 10 nodes in my house now. They are not having the same issue that you are seeing. Is it possible to work and tracking down the issue with PacketDrop? Do you still have that issue?

(Iman Haryadi) #96

I went back and work on old unused prototype board. I hate to waste it. This time around I have separate sensor modules and wire it up to the module. I bought a Leviton USB outlet and did this.

Here is installation.

And, the finished project.

Somebody is really happy with it.

(MacTechGenius) #97

One of them stopped responding at 14864 and the other stopped at 5236 for PacketDrop.

Not sure what the cause is but I do have WiFi (4 access points) and other sources of ZigBee (solar panel gateway and energy meter).

(Iman Haryadi) #98

The packet drop is a concern to me compared to my own experience. Perhaps we should get some other members experience with packet drop. The number is just too high. Of all my modules, I have never seen one with more than 10 packet drop.

If it is simple, try to make sure the antenna connection is good. Perhaps reposition the module or antenna orientation.

If you have the tools, one tool would be useful is to see if you have overlaping wifi and zigbee network.

(Don) #99

Mine has been working good, I have low signal strength but it’s hanging in there. I moved it the other day across the shed in hopes of improvement of my signal strength. When I scanned my Zigbee network it was up slightly.

I just refreshed the display and this is what I’m seeing.

(Joel W) #100

Are these ready to go units available still?

(Iman Haryadi) #101

At this moment, I have the module with external antenna.

Let me know if you would like to give it a try.

I do have extra external anntenna to give you. The only issue is it cost extra to ship it. The usps would not take the package as small envelope with the antenna in it.