Another one bites the dust - My 2014 to 2021 ride has ended

@Automated_House Thanks! I missed you on my first post, but you are surely one I learnt a lot from too. Thank you for the many contributions!!

2 Likes

Or three… :wink:

8 Likes

You can. I’ve seen it demonstrated as part of the SSD upgrade process I’m considering - there’s two ways, one includes setting up the SSD then imaging the current install to it and making the required changes, the other just starts from a new install then restores HA from your backup. (You did install the Google Drive backup Add in FIRST, right? :wink: If not install it now - I’ll wait, its that important…) The sticks maintain the link - so as long as you keep a good full backup of all your back end (which you can - in the cloud - with the add in above) you can completely replace the Pi, or the drive - or anything except the Zigbee/Zwave sticks themselves and keep on trucking.

Ha no - yours was fine Alex. There are others I’ve seen here and in other forums that haven’t been. Just a friendly reminder to us all. :slight_smile:

My current plan is to clean out my existing ST location and Then install the HA integration after I’ve got everything moved over. Hopefully this exposes the existing nest devices to HA. Not the best but… Possible?

2 Likes

Android on a Samsung S20 Ultra. Unfortunately I migrated to their new account, or whatever it was, and broke @tonesto7 's integration. I figured Google would fix the issue but I am guessing they have no future plans for Protect’s.

1 Like

OMG JD I LOVE THIS!

(Completely ignoring the fact that I told my wife if I ever need to switch to a trike, I’d stop riding…)

I have a very dear friend who is paraplegic (sp?) and through stem cell therapy has enough strength to hold her upper body up on her own now… I wonder if she’d go for one of these… Hmmm…

1 Like

My first HA install was on an Odroid XU4 that I had. After just taking a peek at what HA had to offer and integrating some C2C stuff I decided to buy the hardware listed above. I migrated what I did up to then simply doing a backup and restoring on the new RPI. It was easy and fast. Thank you for the reminder to get the Google Drive backup add-on. I saw it but did not install it yet. I download a snapshot frequently in case I break something while I learn my way in HA.

1 Like

The big advantage to this one is that you don’t need to switch out of your own wheelchair to use it. But it’s not street legal everywhere, there’s a lot of research to do. fun to dream about, though. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m guessing the same. When the new Nest Integration didn’t include them, I had zero reason to switch. My long term future plans including unloading 5 Nest Protects and switching to wired alarms with a Zwave relay wired into the alarm loop.

Anyone want 5 lightly used Nest Protects? Less than a year old. But you have to wait until I pull them down and replace them… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is what my zigbee mesh network currently looks like on HA:

If you zoom in, you can see device names, IDs, etc. For example:

@johnconstantelo - Mouth watering? With the number of Zigbee devices you have, it might come in handy to have this option.

I wonder whether the outliers (battery operated sensors) have a single route because they have not had time yet to build out further routes back to the zigbee controller (rectangle in the middle). Or maybe it is just because they are “EndDevices” and not “Routers”.

The one above is a Gledopto LED driver that is inside a metal networking cabinet. The lines clearly show that the cabinet dampens the signal to all the other nodes except for the controller which happens to be sitting on top of this cabinet. I love the ability to troubleshoot my mesh network!

2 Likes

So, that ability has my interest peaking. I’m thinking HA is now topping my list.

1 Like

Just FYI, I have not seen anything like this for Zwave but the Zwave implementation they are currently using “Z-Wave JS” is pretty recent and under constant development so one can hope. I tend to have more issues with Zwave which is why I significantly reduced my Zwave mesh size. When you run a network heal, you can see the routes reported by the nodes in the log which is better than nothing.

1 Like

The USB stick you get for Zwave may have its own mapping utilities, it’s worth checking. :sunglasses:

ZwaveJS has a mapper but you have to use the ZWave2MQTT addin. Its not near. As ‘pretty’ but it gets the job done.

2 Likes

I think I can also use Z-Wave PC Controller 5, which I already have, but I would rather have it native in the HA setup so as not to disrupt it while I investigate issues.

1 Like

Yes I believe I had run into that but that integration, I believe, is on its way out in favor of Z-Wave JS.

If you use the zigbee2mqtt HA integration, you can get a dynamic map that looks like this (look, ma - we got device icons :grin:) :

Lots of choices. Also @nathancu was referring to zwaveJS2mqtt, which isn’t going anywhere. It’s the older OZW and it’s MQTT extension that are on their way out.

6 Likes

Nice! Now you’re teasing…

5 Likes

No, you’re thinking of OZW. This works in conjunction with ZWaveJS to give me a UI to manage ZWave devices.:wink:

Edit - yes, what Ashok said… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I too started migrating to Home Assistant. Only Zigbee left on SmartThings. TP-Link, WiZ, Tuya, all with local capabilities. It was too hard to ignore…

Automations are insanely robust, but much more complicated to get going compared to SmartThings.

Big thing for me, Google and Alexa only see what I give them permission to see!!

5 Likes

How are you limiting what they see? I am having the issue that everything I have is ending up on Alexa automatically, just like on ST.