Announcing HousePanel Control Panel [Alpha]

This was done today. Enjoy.

Yes, integration with WebCoRE would be excelent. I use it a lot to automate my house and to run routines.

Wellā€¦ after some investigation I am concluding that there is no way to retrieve a Userā€™s defined groups or rooms from the API. The discussion thread here confirms this:

Wish I had better news. So instead I am now working on making the initial rooms fully editable, including deleting some and adding others. I will also likely modify the default rooms to something more generic. At present I use a regular expression to put certain things into certain rooms by default which I think makes sense. I will probably stay with that but ditch some of the default rooms like Thermostats which I think is not likely to be a commonly desired group.

Posted misc bug fixes to the hpanel-server GitHub tonight. Should improve stability and performance.

As a smart tiles and now a paid action tiles user (Which I love). This app brings a level of WAF that Action Tiles does not. Any openings on the beta? I have a RPi 3 laying around here somewhere.

The screen shots look great!

I decided a few weeks ago to open the Beta up to anybody who wants it, so it should be open on GitHub. Give it a whirl.

Thanksā€¦ this is precisely why I wrote it. I personally love Action Tiles but my wife hates the look of it. She asked me to make one with colorful backgrounds and big buttons and with the ability to load family pictures on the tiles, so thatā€™s what HousePanel does. At the moment it requires you to write a pretty involved CSS file but I provide one that matches the screen shots. Let me know how you like it and any feedback is of course welcome.

Folksā€¦ I know Iā€™ve gone dormant here for a while. Iā€™m studying the code from a few of the masters here to learn some new tricks. Iā€™m also working on WebCoRE integration which is coming along. Iā€™ll soon emerge from this phase of learning and start putting this new knowledge to work to make things much better, faster, and stable.

3 Likes

Good deal. I am traveling this week, but will try to get some time carved out on Saturday to get the current version up and running.

Thanks,

Any chance on adding custom web calls? I control all of my Hue bulbs through the HUE Bridge API, and all of the zwave/zigbee stuff through SmartThings. The lights are much faster through the HUE API, so I would really prefer to use those calls.

2 Likes

Yes - that should be very doable. The UI will be the only tricky part. Working on a better UI for photo tiles so I can probably repurpose that to add a web call tile too.

Can you share with me a sample call to the Hue bridge API? Is it a straight REST call or something else? Does it return anything like a status of success or light state?

@ady624 is there a way I can determine in code whether a user has WebCore installed and if so what their endpoint is? I would hate to make people cut and paste that monstrously long endpoint string manually.

It does return a success or failure:
example:

{"success":{"/lights/8/state/on":true}}

hereā€™s an example of my put, with variables.

`

curl -s ${BASEURL}/lights/${ID}/state -X PUT -d {"on":true,"bri":${BRI},"hue":${HUE},"sat":${SAT},"transitiontime":${TTIME}}"

`

okay thanks. so the json object seems simple enough as a passed argument. Is it fair to assume that users will know the BASEURL and ID parameters for their Hue lights?

EDIT: I went ahead and registered to get access to the API documentation so Iā€™m good now.

1 Like

@Keo - Yikesā€¦ so when you register a Hue user you get a long username ID that you then call using the bridge IP/api/userid combinationā€¦ this is definitely not a WAF compliant activity ā€¦ LOL. Well I guess it depends upon oneā€™s W if I were to be more accurate. Anyway I will get cracking on this - doesnā€™t look too hard. Would help if I had one of these Phillips bridges. Seems like a pretty cool system so maybe Iā€™ll get one. Then again, every light in my house is already on a GE smart switch.

I released a Connector code for easy integration some while back. That gives you the ability to list all existing webCoRE pistons and execute any of them.

1 Like

Sweet ā€¦ thanks. Will get cracking on this. Sounds easy.

1 Like

I am willing to develop this, but I donā€™t understand what youā€™re writing. I am pretty good at hacking code to make it work, but I am not a real programmer.

I think I have a V1 Hue Bridge laying around that Iā€™d be willing to send you. Let me make sure I still have it. I donā€™t have any bulbs to spare though.