Announcing HousePanel Control Panel [Alpha]

Hi Anthoney - unfortunately I do not have such a step by step guide, and developing one for helping people to install a new server is beyond my scope right now. There are tons of good tutorials on the web for walking you through setting up an Apache web server on a Raspberry Pi. I also found a good one here on ST at the following post:

After you get the web server set up, be sure to test it with a few simple web sites. Then you will have to figure out how to move files back and forth to it using either SSH or FTP. Again, a tutorial for this is beyond my scope but you can find good tutorials for this on the web too.

Finally, after you get this up and going, you need to just put all the files from the hpanel-server GitHub in its own directory on your server. One last thing you will need to do is to set that folder to write permission. You can do that by SSH’ing to the RPi and then doing “chmod 777 folder” where folder is where you did the install. Be sure to chdir to the www location first. The default on a RPi is /var/www

After you do that, install the groovy file in your ST API from the HousePanel GitHub.

Then you will be ready to fire up your browser and give it a whirl.

I apologize that this isn’t a step by step noob friendly guide but I"m still in very active dev mode. This is really more of an Alpha test period than a beta one. If this is more than you are willing to bite off at this time I will fully understand. Just be patient, when this matures a bit more I will write a step by step guide and make many of the current manual steps more automatic. I plan to get rid of the config read/write file altogether so that is also temporary.

Thanks Carlos. I looked into this and can’t figure our how to get to the routines in the API. Some old documentation says it is available from the “location” variable but I don’t see it there. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

In better news, I was able to add Presence tiles today. Still need new icon graphics for them but the functionality with the same stand/run icon as motion is there now.

Any updated screenshots?

I have everything installed but I get the following errors when trying to serve the page up. This is after I have authenticated to SmartThings:

PHP Notice: Undefined index: HTTPS in /var/www/html/hpanel-server/housepanel.php on line 774
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in /var/www/html/hpanel-server/utils.php on line 68

Update
 you need to enable curl in your php install. I can’t remember how to do that but I think it is a flag in the php.ini file. Try this - from a google search.

enable CURL via the php.inI
Locate your PHP.ini file. (normally located at in the bin folder of your apache install e.g.
Open the PHP.ini in notepad (or nano or vim).
Search or find the following : ';extension=php_curl.dll’
Uncomment this by removing the semi-colon ‘;’ before it.
Save and Close PHP.ini.
Restart Apache.

1 Like

So are you running this on a Raspberry Pi3? It seems to be very slow on mine.

My apache error log is filled with these also:

PHP Notice:  Undefined index: HTTPS in /var/www/html/hpanel-server/housepanel.php on line 774, referer: http://[redacted]/hpanel-server/housepanel.php
PHP Notice:  Use of undefined constant response - assumed 'response' in /var/www/html/hpanel-server/housepanel.php on line 352, referer: http://[redacted]/hpanel-server/housepanel.php

Yes - I am and for me it runs very fast - faster than on my website which is hosted by GoDaddy.

Which OS are you running?
What release of PHP are you using and which webserver?
Which release of the webserver also?

Hmmm these lines are generic and are used to determine the return URL. The code at line 774 throug 778 should be as follows:

if ( $_SERVER[‘HTTPS’] && $_SERVER[‘HTTPS’]!=“off” ) {
$url = “https://” . $serverName . ‘:’ . $serverPort;
} else {
$url = “http://” . $serverName . ‘:’ . $serverPort;
}

If this error persists, try changing this to just set it to the else branch. Let me know what you find out. It sounds like a problem with your PHP configuration though.

I am using the raspbian build of php 5. I haven’t changed anything in the configuration.

let me go check my logs to see if I am getting anything similar. Will let you know.

Just checked and I don’t get these errors. Do you have curl activated? Check your php.ini file.

I found this in my log file also.

fopen(hmoptions.cfg): failed to open stream: Permission denied

Where is that file written to? I tried to search for it and returned no results.

This is a temporary hack until I can get a simple DB feature working. The directory where your files are stored - usually /var/www/html must have write permission. This file is written there. If you don’t have write permissions it won’t be generated. I know this is awful but it is still Alpha code. Just ssh into your rPI and do a chmod on the directory where the main files are stored and it should fix this issue.

Any recent snapshots for the lazy ones please?

1 Like

I’ll have to leave it up to @kewashi. It’s his project and I am not sure if he’s ready to show the goods. :slight_smile:

@kewashi - My hue bulbs work, but my zwave switch isn’t working. I checked logging within the IDE, and all I see is this for my zwave switch:

debug switchlevel swattr = switchlevel switch on

HA! I fixed my own problem. My zwave switch wasn’t connected to SmartThings anymore.

@ady624 I will upload some new screen shots this weekend. Tied up at my money-making job today.

Get Outlook for iOS
2 Likes

@ady624 and all, here are some current screenshots. This shows the new clock, mode, blank, and presence tiles. The second one shows off the generic graphic/URL tile which accepts any URL that will display as a jpg or png graphic file. In this example I grabbed my LinkedIn account photo URL and put it directly into the CSS file

7 Likes

Wow, the digital clock and profile picture looks cool