Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

It depends on if drivers are made for these by SmartThings.

1 Like

And if there are already drivers made for these by SmartThings, as well as 3rd party drivers for these, that also work with SmartThings, all of which I currently use successfully with SmartThings, is it not fair to assume these will continue to be supported when Edge comes around?

We would hope so but do keep in mind the Fibraro RGBW controlers were never officially supported, a DTH and resultant smart apps were created by the community very successfully but ST killed them by changing the app which failed to cater for the devices specifics and no one cared

So keep your fingers crossed your devices will continue to work but at this stage nothing is certain

Which is why I can’t recommend SmartThings to anyone right now.

The transition is fine and well, but refusing to publish a roadmap or exact details regarding the transition shows contempt for the community that popularized the product in the first place.

‘Oh yeah, your code will stop working, but we can’t tell you when, or specifics like if it will just go read only or will stop running entirely.’

Maybe they haven’t figured it out yet, but then if so, don’t announce the transition at all.

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, I could advise a client to use ST in a property that is 
 big, and cost is no issue but I can’t, the ecosystem has been too problematic in the past and is now largely guess work what will or won’t work now and especially in the future

And, I make no apologies for this
Since day 1 of using the new designed app after classic, it has been the worst designed piece of software I have ever seen, even rotate is missing, accessibility readers have been treated with contempt and each iteration since the first attempt seems to get worse

3 Likes

Regrettably, I don’t think we can make any assumptions right now, we will just have to wait and see. :thinking:

For example, this announcement is for the first public beta of Edge. It supports sensors, but does not yet support multiendpoint switches like the Fibaro Switch modules. So we don’t yet have any examples of how those devices might actually work with the new architecture even though they currently are certified for the old architecture.

We can hope it will be a smooth transition with officially provided Edge Drivers, but we just don’t know for sure yet.

1 Like

Questions like ‘will my xx devices work in the future’ are extremely valid and important

People past and present have put alot of time and effort into sometimes expensive installations, trusting in a brand that changes its direction killing users devices off as it goes leaves a bitter taste

2 Likes

All true, but the terms of use that all smartthings customers agree to when they first set up their account says specifically that SmartThings may at any time abandon compatibility with any device. And they have done it sometimes in the past already, even their own smartthings brand cameras.

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services.
. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services.
.We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical.

Samsung Account

There are some systems which offer a guaranteed length of operability, but smartthings is not one of them. Nor are most cloud-based home automation systems in this price range.

If you want to protect your sunk costs in equipment, you need to buy a system which would continue operating even if the parent company stopped all support. But when you go for a system like smartthings, you are trading off getting frequent new features with the risk of losing older ones. :thinking:

A strange world where covering your backside quite possibly impacts the evolution of Home automation in a detremental way

Almost a contradiction in terms, we are going to change things, you can’t do a thing about it, if you get miffed and give up on HA it means you won’t possibly buy our kit !

A strange world

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the future plan is for the ability to connect other hubs (Hubitat) with SmartThings?

very bleak

I would think it would be pretty straightforward if you do it as a smartapp in the new architecture and just use MQTT. Or Matter might also be a possibility. But you would have to write and host the smartapp.

2 Likes

Someone will do it, the question is when, and will it be in time for the apocalypse

3 Likes

if someone steps up
 I will adjust my forecast from Very Bleak :slight_smile:

right now
 no one has

6 Likes

Not having a clue what that means in reality JD, I will ask a stupid set of questions and add some random pie in the sky, it now appears

A smartapp is just a piece of code that is basicaly an automation that the normal rules api cannot do

I assume, size wise they would be pretty light on there storage needs

Would it be possible a smartapp could be shared and stored on a device (phone, tablet) no one then hosts anything, just the user who has the smartapp installed on there device for there particular needs

And then the penny dropped, it gets written and shared from the developers chosen place of storage not shared and run from some random server. My misconception.

So why would hosted and shared be an issue, most cloud storage these days even basic free storage is more than capable of sharing a smartapp and what about security ? If my assumption of a smartapp will possibly get installed and run from a device how can a user determine that code does not contain some form of virus ?

Would be great to see a WYSIWYG smartapp creator that users could install on a PC and create there own smartapps, using a logical plugin process of variables, pre defined and secure would be usefull and potentially powerfull

Smartapp creator on a PC gives the options to download the variables for a particular device, plugins allow for display options within app per devices available display options, automations involved come from some form of CORE, output smartapp.appy, host on server for sharing :grin:

But does it have the memory and storage capacity ?

Yes, from what I understand it uses less than half of its CPU power as-is.

I actually don’t care that much except for two things:

1. There really needs to be a solution like hub connect for the new platform. This would allow compatibility with legacy groovy code (by running it in hubitat and simply sharing the device). I think this would solve everyone’s problems with the transition.
  2. SmartThings WiFi needs to have a firmware update to support edge drivers.
2 Likes

Interesting, as my interpretation is somewhat different. I have formed the impression that the firmware includes native re-implementations of key functionality of certain DTHs, and of certain ‘rules’ used by Smart Lighting (and presumably once did the same for parts of SHM). That’s a big difference from running Groovy DTHs and SmartApps.

2 Likes

The main issue here is the not knowing. There should be a road map and a plan for what is or isn’t going to work going forward. I think I’ve took it for granted that for the most part the smart chaps on here will have made a DTH for common devices if not groovy was something you could have a go at.

Samsung’s silence on the issue isn’t helping. I can’t decide weather they’re rebuilding to make the platform better and refresh it, or making it more local so we become less reliant on them freeing them to bin it off all together.

Is also not that easy to move, I’ve looked at HA and for me it’s not that simple to build up. To tie smartthings in you also need a webhook and HA’s comes with a monthly subscription.

I’ve just watched the video tutorial for creating a Zwave driver with samsung edge. Do we know if interaction between the hub and loading new drivers/devices is going to always be via the command line?

Thanks

1 Like

I believe that’s the plan for developers. If you’re just a user, developers can share their drivers via a web link.

1 Like