Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

Will Homebridge work?

This has nothing to do with Phillips, itā€™s a Homekit requirement that bridge manufacturers be able to certify the devices they will expose to HomeKit.

Abode, for example, has HomeKit compatibility, but only for its own brand devices, not for any of the many other zwave and zigbee Devices you can connect to it.

Which abode devices are HomeKit compatible?
Currently, our iota and Smart Security Kit gateways as well as the abode motion sensor (if purchased after December of 2018), occupancy sensor, and abode-branded door/window sensors can be added to the Home app when connected to the abode gateway.

There have been other reasons to criticize Philips hue for other actions in the past, but this is not a corporate decision on their part. Itā€™s a security decision on Appleā€˜s part.

Homebridge gets around this by lying to HomeKit and saying that it is a Philips hue bridge and all the devices connected to it are Hue bulbs and switches. Which is a violation of the original developer terms of service, but the catā€™s out of the bag on that one at this point.

Individual customers Who are coders and willing to sign up for the Apple developer program can add their own non-certified Devices to Homekit but doing so will pop up a message in the home app saying that it is a non-certified device.

Well, I believe that is exactly what I statedā€¦

I mean, if Philips really wanted to certify other manufacturers Zigbee bulbs, when attached to the Hue Bridge, they probably technically could, correct? But, as I stated (below), it wouldnā€™t be easy nor cost effective. Much simpler to restrict it to their own hardware that they have control over. Is it just a coincidence that doing so leads to more sales??? Probably notā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

I was more responding to the often quoted Hibbert comments on this topic. :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty thrilled by this as Iā€™ve been one who has been plagued by inconsistent/unreliable cloud based actions. Iā€™m dancing on my swivel chair.

It would be super helpful if someone could post a step-by-step for setting up the IDE. (Iā€™m an experienced developer both for SmartThings and Full-stack web/mobile appsā€¦ using VSCode, CLIs, etc), but I still canā€™t sort out which LUA Libraries to download from where to install in which locations on my local machine.) The LUA Path instructions are clear, but which libraries to grab to put there is not.

Paul

3 Likes

Itā€™s a little unclear at the moment, Iā€™m going to try to get that fixed on Monday, but you donā€™t need to install lua or the ā€œlua_libsā€ that the PATH instructions talk about to upload drivers, you only need those if you want to run unit tests or try library code on your PC directly.

If you just want to try installing a driver you only need the CLI.

3 Likes

OK. Iā€™m just trying to follow the hello world instructions.

When I follow those instructions and try to clone the smartthings git, I get this:

git clone git@github.com:SmartThingsDevelopers/SampleDrivers.git

Cloning into 'SampleDrivers'...
Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '140.82.113.4' to the list of known hosts.
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

By the wayā€¦ Iā€™ve been a product developer (healthcare) for 38 years. I know what it is to launch a new product offering. Iā€™m rooting for you.

Paul

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing you have an SSH key on that system, but you donā€™t have a github account with that ssh key. If itā€™s that you should be able to clone with http:

git clone https://github.com/SmartThingsDevelopers/SampleDrivers.git

<3

1 Like

Webcore was my initiation into any type of ā€œcodingā€ and that was only a year ago. Thanks to community help I was able to create some pretty complex pistons. I am still very much a beginner but would like to start trying to learn the new CLI/Rules API and eventually Edge before everything changes permanently but I canā€™t figure out where to even start.

A step by step for less experienced (that would be me :woozy_face:) would be amazing!

1 Like

Where is @ady624?! What part is he playing in all of this?

3 Likes

Great question @rontalley . Iā€™m expecting him at some point to release his local version of WebCoRE as he demonstrated using the Rules API, 2 years ago. Albeit without variables, i.e. an 80% WebCoRE. Iā€™m hoping since those 2 years heā€™s managed to add the missing parts. WebCoRE means so much to so many people, itā€™s capable of doing things nothing else can replace. However my underlying fear, fuelled by his silence on both forums, is that heā€™s gone ā€œcorporateā€ and for whatever reason, will allow/be unable to stop WebCoRE from dying. But I canā€™t believe this will actually ever happen.

I understood that any development of webCoRE in that direction was down to a community effort and I havenā€™t seen any attempt to mobilise the webCoRE community, let alone actual effort.

I am finding it increasingly difficult to see how webCoRE could ever be implemented using the Rules API, or indeed even how a piston could be ported. They just feel different. webCoRE feels like a script, albeit one that remembers previous state, but the Rules API feels more like Automations or SmartLighting. I am intrigued to see how loops would be implemented, for example.

1 Like

Nobody told the community this, there was no announcement of this kind that I recall.

Itā€™s already been done, didnā€™t you see the video of Adriansā€™ Rules API WebCoRE running locally on the ST hub, very impressive.
Adrian is a very clever fellow, probably why Samsung poached him!

The clarification on the question of if that WC conversion tool (from the video) is what we would expect, was that it was more of a proof of concept.

There is an exchange on the subject, here in the forum somewhere.

It would be nice to have some updated information.

Sure, but SmartThings/Samsung is not working on itā€¦he seems to indicate that it will be up to the webCoRE communityā€¦

Wellā€¦ Whoā€™s in?

I donā€™t know what else to think, other than I have no idea where to start.

edit: If itā€™s a hush hush type dealā€¦ that wouldnā€™t seem so much like a community effort

Yes, and I briefly used the proof of concept where some basic webCoRE functionality could be mapped onto the Rules as they existed two years ago. Are the (plans for) the Rules the same two years on or have they come up with something better?

For example, I have a pretty good idea how ā€˜wasā€™, ā€˜changesā€™ and ā€˜staysā€™ were actually implemented in webCoRE and I just donā€™t see or feel a similar approach in the way Rules are handling ā€˜wasā€™, ā€˜changesā€™ and ā€˜remainsā€™. So I can imagine eventually being able to replace most pistons with Rules, but I just canā€™t see them using the same algorithms, and nor would I want them to either.

I am anticipating something far better than webCoRE.

1 Like

Indeed. The rules API will continue to improve. Many eyes are on it.

6 Likes

A little cryptic, Jody, but I appreciate that much, anyway.

3 Likes

I can imagine quite a few of those eyes belong to staff who use SmartThings at home.

Before it gets improved too much, is the ā€˜Install Limitā€™ mentioned on the Rate limits page still accurate? Only 100 is a very small number indeed even if it is per Location, and there is no indication that it actually is per Location. As Iā€™ve commented before I have a small property even by UK standards, and minimal automation going on. Yet I have 78 Rules. So the power users could have a frightening number.

3 Likes