Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

Central scene is listed in the docs Paul linked to above

3 Likes

Yay!!! :sunglasses:. That is very good news.

1 Like

Are there plans for local Lutron Caseta Pro and RA2 bridge support?

2 Likes

Totally un happy about this !! I’m using many custom handlers mainly for:

• Fibaro Roller Shutter FGS-223 !! My most important handler
  • Xiaomi Zigbee Sensors
  • Xiaomi Zigbee remote (paste) buttons.
  • Simulated Switches and buttons for Alexa

How will I know if this will continue to work with Edge Device Drivers !! Can I still use the ordinary Device Handlers until Edge Device Drivers will work ?
What about WebCore ? Will this still works ?
Staff members , can you please explain and include the word “Fibaro Roller Shutter FGS-223” and “Xiaomi Sensors” in your answer

Today’s announcement is targeted at developers. Your existing groovy drivers will continue to work. We are working with our partners and community developers to start the migration to Edge. If you are a developer or device maker these are the tools you need to migrate. If you are a customer then you don’t need to do anything unless you want to test beta drivers.

6 Likes

@jody.albritton
Jody, will there be some kind of conversion tool from old DTH / Smartapps to new Edge integration ?
A lot of users use or used to use the Fibaro RGBW controlers, both 441 and 442 variant, people have stopped using or are struggling to use them now due to the lack of support from the manufacture, Fibaro have posted on the forum in the past indicating they have no intention of supplying integration to ST users

The original Classic integration worked perfectly giving full access to the devices options and settings, @cobra also developed Smartapps to also integrate with the Device type

The old integrations will never get re coded by the original developers for use into ST new look, eventually leaving many users with no way of controlling these devices when the old IDE types become depricated

Will some form of conversion become available in the future ? As stated Fibaro are not interested in helping

1 Like

I want an answer on this too, I’d like to convert things to the new platform without a complete rewrite from scratch but I have my doubts this is even possible?

@fido

The driver conversion is a manual process. Drivers can support many different devices and it may be as simple as adding the fingerprint to an existing device driver. We are only in the first day of the open beta and we are releasing this now to help developers and partners move their devices to Edge. We are currently engaging with many different vendors. We will also be releasing more tutorials for different device scenario over the next few weeks.

In addition to the tutorials we have also released a complete refresh of the documentation portal. You can find all of the current info for Edge there

3 Likes

Edge is a completely different architecture that is designed to run on the hub instead of in the cloud and there a many differences from the old DTH model. There will be examples for most common device types so it usually won’t be a complete start from scratch.

4 Likes

@jody.albritton
Thank you for the reply Jodi, I spoke with Fibaros current owners and developers last year to no avail, I and many others would appreciate it if you would mention the RGBW 441,442 devices IF Fibaro is on the (contact manufacture) list

1 Like

First time I might disagree with you on something. Apple hates third party devices even when connected to “native” hubs
IE Philps hue hub and IKEA bulbs, bulbs wont show in homekit using the Philips hue hub But will show using IKEA hub. while both hubs can be connected directly to Homekit
But if at all, ill be as happy as one can be, Getting rid of one hub makes one less issue to deal with.

1 Like

Hi,
Are there any plans to support Yandex Alisa on the new platform?
Current Alisa’s skill for Smartthings is very limited and frustrating.
Thanks

@TheSmartestHouse I hope you’re in on this

3 Likes

Will a later beta allow us to switch existing devices over to Edge without having to exclude and re-include them? I’d love to start trying this out, but I don’t want to deal with removing and adding devices all over again.

3 Likes

Yes. There’s going to be a “phase 2 beta” (dunno what we’re actually going to call it). That will be less developer focused and more end user focused that will have a migration to drivers from DTHs. I don’t know when or how exactly it’ll work, it’s not made yet. But we definitly will need that before groovy gets the ax.

10 Likes

Absolutely, the plan is for all Zooz products to have edge drivers available before the IDE shuts down. Already working on it!

Let us know which products you’d like to see getting the drivers first so we can prioritize accordingly :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I am not 100% certain that this all Apple’s fault, IMHO. This is Philips Hue making sure that their users buy Philips Hue products, as that is how they make money. Only Philips Hue lights are able to utilize Apple HomeKit integration, and only Philips Hue lights are able to have the ‘power restoration’ feature enabled (this is actually a fimrware feature in their bulbs, IIRC.)

So, why does Philips Hue restrict Apple HomeKit compatability to their own products? Well, Paul Hibbert has his theory
 :wink:

Personally, I believe Philips can only test/certify devices that they have control over. Imagine trying to properly certify 100’s of different manufacturer’s Zigbee bulbs to ensure that they are fully compatible and properly functional with HomeKit. Multiply that by the number of firmware variations across all of those devices, and you can begin to see how daunting a challenge it would be.

Or, maybe it simply is Corporate Greed! :wink:

1 Like

OoOoOoOoOoOo the zigbee

4 Likes

Zen23, Zen23, Zen26, and Zen27
I have over 20 of these four in our home.

6 Likes

Looking forward to @AutomateYourLife dropping a video to explain this :+1:

3 Likes