Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

Thanks!

That is what happened when I tried to subscribe to the newsletter.

3 Likes

Subscribing throws a 404.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, @Bry, @w35l3y. I will report that to the corresponding team

2 Likes

Yep I was thinking the same about DTH migration/ the end of groovy. Do we have any time frames?

3 Likes

No ETA has been defined yet, @Olicoley. However, the team has mentioned that it won’t be an abrupt change so, don’t worry about having issues out of the blue.

2 Likes

@nayelyz

Could you confirm that SmartLighting automations will be migrated to Rules API without me having to actively do anything. Thanks

3 Likes

@23dash I think you would prefer local automations which are available now. The only hiccup I have had is that there is no way to sync switches and lights to make them mirror eachother. I have a lot of smart switches and smart bulbs. Syncing their state is a pain without creating circular automations.

1 Like

Check out this link for moving from SmartLighting to using automations.

I know it’s possible for me to reconfigure SmartLighting as Automations. I’m trying to establish whether the team at ST plan to make this painless by migrating these to Rules API without the need for user intervention. Imagine all those guys who don’t follow this forum
 they’ll be mighty annoyed if their SmartLighting automations suddenly stopped working.

4 Likes

I understand @23dash. I’m checking this situation with the corresponding team. Once I get more information, I’ll post it here.

4 Likes

But what about functions that is in the smart lighting app and not in the rules api. I have many zigbee light bulbs that mirrors the behavior of a dimmer. Will this function stop working?

3 Likes

One particular item for us that’s missing from the Edge drivers I’ve used so far (not sure about Rules API) is the ability to have a light/switch turn on more than 60 minutes before sunset.
Because of that limitation, I’m still using Smart Lighting app to have a light come on 2 hours before sunset.

1 Like

All specific times in the Rules API are expressed as +/- offsets from reference times (now, midnight, noon, sunrise and sunset). A time operand can be a maximum of 86399 seconds though I don’t really know what that means in practice, but 60 minutes is certainly not of any special significance to the Rules API. So there really shouldn’t be an issue.

I personally have had issues with sunrise not being updated on a daily timer for the last six months or so, but that doesn’t mean anyone else will.

2 Likes

24 hours=86400 seconds. :wink:

1 Like

I was wondering who would bite on that first.

My point was that I wasn’t entirely clear what information was being imparted. It might simply mean that a time is saved as an integer from 0 to 86399 so if I specify fifteen hours after noon I actually get a second before midnight.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: [SmartThings App] Create a Routine with sub-conditions

Any update on whether SmartLighting routines will be migrated without user intervention

Thanks

5 Likes

This came up in another thread.

Even with Edge, the SmartThings app and any notifications are still going to be cloud-based, right?

So some pre-created routines will be able to run if the Internet is out, but you won’t have app control or get notifications or be able to create new routines until the hub can talk to the SmartThings cloud again. Or am I wrong on that? :thinking:

3 Likes

This is my understanding. Local automations will run, but the app and its notifications require the cloud. The app isn’t tied to, nor served by, the hub itself. They would need to make a version of the app that connect directly to the hub like Philips Hue.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see if this will change once smartthings adds matter support since matter is intended to be “local first.“ Matter doesn’t require that everything except voice run locally, unlike HomeKit, but it strongly encourages local operations.

I have several devices that run locally with HomeKit and via cloud with smartthings, like Meross, Lutron, and Phillips hue. When our Internet goes out, which typically happens three or four times a year, I use the HomeKit app since the ST app stops working until the cloud connection is restored.

It would be great if smartthings switched to the other connection model, but I haven’t heard that that was part of the plan.

4 Likes