Announcement | SmartThings Edge for Devices and Automations

I am certainly finding my (Sonoff) contact sensors and to a lesser extent my (Ikea) motion sensors are being marked offline for no obvious reason at all. They often come back online again with activity, which is a great improvement over legacy devices, but there does seem to be an issue with the conditions that cause them to go offfline. I can be away for a week and the sensors will all stay online, or they can go offline in an hour or two.

There is something a bit more going on though. The contact sensors in particular just seem to stop working any chance they get and often need to be deleted to recover the situation.

1 Like

I have also had an IKEA motion sensor just stop working although batteries are perfect, I just ignore the issue and it magically starts working again

I don’t keep a close eye on how long it drops off or on as its for my dogs and there ability to turn lights on and auto off in the garden

I am also having problems with Sonoff SNZB-02 motion detector, Iris iL07/iMagic by GreatStar/1117-S motion detector, and a Sonoff SNZB-04 contact sensor.

All 3 died and had to repaired at least once.

In addition the Sonoff units go off line almost daily, but come back on line when they detect motion or the door opens.

1 Like

@Automated_House @orangebucket @fido @Paul_Oliver I reached out to the team and we’ll have some engineers taking a look and reaching out.

7 Likes

Completely onboard with this idea of getting Lutron local control for Caseta. Wonder how we get some traction on this from @SmartThings.

At this point, the integrations are the responsibility of the device manufacturer, so it would be up to Lutron.

That said, both smartthings and Lutron have said that they will support the new matter standard, and we should start to see that happen by the end of 2022. Since the Lutron/HomeKit Integration is already local, it seems quite likely that the matter integration will be as well.

So it may be that all of this just takes care of itself once Matter arrives. No promises, and nothing official announced yet other than matter support, but I feel optimistic. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maybe I’m stupid, is there a way to view all channels I’m subscribed to? It seems bad to have to find the invitation link again to manage your drivers

Edit: nevermind, I found it on the hub device in the app

1 Like

Click on Driver on your Hub

However there’s a bug, that doesn’t let you scroll down

2 Likes

Is there a target date on when Edge will be completed and rolled out to everyone?

With the release of 38.11, I believe all hub versions now support Edge drivers. That being said, I’ve yet to actually be able to discover any Edge driver devices on the ST Wifi Hub.

Which ones have you tried to install and pair a device?

A post was split to a new topic: [ST Edge] Issues joining device with a driver

How exactly do we join a device with a driver? I have installed the driver for the Aqara Cube, but what do I do next?

You need to:

1. Open the SmartThings app, go to add (+) > device
  2. Click on “Scan nearby” and put your device in pairing mode.
    Note: You can also select the device from the device catalog if possible
  3. There, you should see the device was discovered, after that, wait a few seconds (so the joining process is finished).
    Note: If you see the device wasn’t paired correctly (the device was created but you’re not receiving events - for Zigbee mostly), try to pair the device again and wait a few more seconds in the “scan nearby” page.
  4. Go back to the devices list and you should be able to find it there, it might be in the “No room” section

This makes me think. Does it have to be “scan nearby” or can you choose the device under its brand?

1 Like

Yes, that’s also possible. If a compatible Edge driver is found, it will be selected before the stock DTH.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: [ST Edge] Issues pairing a device with the driver

That’s 120 seconds! Who’s going to wait for 120 seconds on that screen?

I thought we had to use ‘Scan Nearby’ to start with? Have I confused myself or has something changed?

Doesn’t make any different to me as pairing using the device catalogue has been broken on the Android app for a number of releases now (it doesn’t select the correct hub if you have more than one, and can even select one in a different location to the one you are in).

That’s not always the case, this is just to consider in case the first time wasn’t successful. It’s generally faster. Editing the post above for clarification…

1 Like