Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform

I’m currently having issues with an Aeotec Nano Shutter I’m trying to add to my ST hub. It’s adding it with an Edge Driver and then is completely unresponsive to any commands.

I have a previously installed nano shutter that works just fine with a DTH. Definitely frustrating.

As far as I can see, there’s no way to change a new device to use an existing working DTH for now while issues with the Edge driver are resolved?

Was that a custom DTH, or one provided by ST?

1 Like

The standard Z-Wave Window Shade DTH provided by ST

OK, that’s why. Both the DTH and Edge driver are ST’s, so they’ll force Edge before giving you a legacy DTH.

What you can do is find ST’s groovy code for the DTH on Github and make a copy for yourself in the IDE. What should happen when you add that device again should be that ST checks for any custom handlers you may have first (it uses the device’s fingerprint to match on), and then if it’s not found it will use ST’s drivers (Edge or groovy depending on the device).

2 Likes

Good to know mate!

2 Likes

@johnconstantelo I’ve just attempted creating a custom DTH with the ST groovy code, then removed and re-added the aeotec nano shutter. It unfortunately did not behave as you suggested and has added it as an edge driver again.

@Adrenalin , check the code and remove the comments from these two lines of code:

// fingerprint mfr:026E, prod:4353, model:5A31, deviceJoinName: Window Blinds
// fingerprint mfr:026E, prod:5253, model:5A31, deviceJoinName: Roller Shade

I suspect ST added the “//” to their code, which forces the Edge driver.

Ah yep, makes sense. Will try that now.

WAIT! That was the wrong DTH. You want this one:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SmartThingsCommunity/SmartThingsPublic/a7c980340992ca37508d42a70f354b5fd7d30048/devicetypes/smartthings/zwave-basic-window-shade.src/zwave-basic-window-shade.groovy

I did a search in their repo for “Aeotec Nano Shutter” and that one came up.

1 Like

I tried that last one you just linked with my currently working nano shutter and it didn’t work so I swapped it back to the first one you linked and it works again.

Wow, ok good to know. Thanks for trying all this.

Hooray, got the device added as a legacy DTH and it’s working in ST!

No, thank you for imparting your knowledge, I couldn’t work out how to force it to use a DTH and couldn’t find any info on this until now.

For those looking for more info on the Nano Shutter, it looks like the ST edge driver will work with it if you update the firmware. See here: Aeotec Nano Shutter - Edge Driver - #5 by Adrenalin

1 Like

Adding the flag -j will provide more info, inside the properties zigbee,zwave, there will be info about the driver, and there’s the networkId, and eui.

I already shared your comments to the corresponding team

It can be retrieved from your router’s configuration as well, they provide instructions for you to enter that page from the browser.
I’ll ask the team if there’s another way to do this.

I’ll check this as well, but last time I checked, seeing the local time in the Hub wasn’t available, even using os.date().

There are Edge drivers that allow the connection as Zigbee and Z-Wave thing, if there’s a Community driver compatible or that has generic fingerprints (eg. based on the clusters or command classes supported), they will appear in the “change driver” tool for that device.

For SmartThings, only device manufacturers can certify their devices, if a user wants a device to be supported in SmartThings, we suggest you contact their support team so they’re aware of this requirement.

If the device is certified as Works With SmartThings, its functionality is assured thanks to the tests made by the certification team.
Users can identify if the devices are compatible because manufacturers use the SmartThings Logo on their certified devices, or, check this page, and reach out to the Customer Support team to confirm.

There will be communication with normal users and developers about the upcoming changes.

For future reference, we have seen that setting names to custom DTHs (those in the IDE) completely different to stock DTHs stops them pairing to the compatible driver and selects the custom DTH.

1 Like

Yes I did and I see those but those are the DNI’s. The zwave and ZigBee network ID’s are different from the UUID displayed with the -j option. You can see the DNI’s on the current IDE page

1 Like

That is true for integrations of type DTH, but not for type ZIGBEE (Edge drivers). I don’t have any Z-Wave devices.

Device Integration Info (from zigbee)
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Eui                 000D6FFFF1234567
 Network Id          3142
 Driver Id           f2e891c6-00cc-446c-9192-8ebda63d9898
 Executing Locally   true
 Hub Id              00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
 Provisioning State  PROVISIONED
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Nor do I, though if you hit the API at https://api.smartthings.com/installed-hubs/{hubId} you’ll drown in stuff, including the IP address. OK a lot of the information doesn’t seem to be complete yet, but it shows willing, and what’s more the existence of the installed-hubs endpoint is documented (sort of). Whether the installed-hubs point is on its way in, or on its way out, is another matter. To me it seems to replicate information that is available elsewhere but it might be from a different perspective so I can’t decide.

1 Like

You’re right, I was looking at DTH backed devices, when I look at Driver backed devices I do see the DNI’s

Device Integration Info (from zwave)
┌────────────────────────┬──────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Network Id │ A9 │
│ Driver Id │ bXXXXb82-29ff-46da-b6a1-2b4c1799aebc │
│ Executing Locally │ true │
│ Hub Id │ XXXX │
│ Network Security Level │ ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY │
│ Provisioning State │ NONFUNCTIONAL │
└────────────────────────┴──────────────────────────────────────┘

1 Like