Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform

I would have done a migration the v2 or v3 many years ago. But with no migration tool in place, I rather start from scratch with another solution.

6 Likes

[EDIT] so I stand corrected
 they have Zigbee not ZWave but the concept remains valid. It will be a no brainer for them to add ZWave in the future 

In my opinion, no chance. Amazon already has an Alexa unit with built in ZWave so they have no use for ST to be in the middle of their money making machine. And Google is all about data and ads and has no track record of collaborating with other tech companies.

2 Likes

Built in zigbee. :wink: Not zwave.

Amazon does have some devices with zwave in the ring security models, but there’s no way they’re going to include smartthings in that.

2 Likes

exactly my thought, if i cant even pull all the devices from my samsung connect hub to my smartthings v3 hub I rather setup a G2H camera and move to homekit

There are several legacy integrations where the integration was created by smartthings but now in the new platform should be created by the device manufacturer. But The device manufacturer has not picked up responsibility for the integration and so some features/models may only work with the classic app. These were official integrations, not custom code. that includes

Arlo
Ecobee
Logitech Harmony
Lutron
Ring
Sonos.

For example, I don’t believe the integration with Lutron Serena shades works in the new app.

What’s going to happen to these when the classic app goes away?

@Lars

Edited to add the additions noted by @Automated_House below

8 Likes

Add ring and ecobee to that list.

2 Likes

LIFX has already moved to the new platform. Sonos is a hub integration, so I don’t think anything changes there (yet).

1 Like

Skybell as well. The integration in the classic app has also been broken for over a year although still present. People who added it before the integration broke still have a functioning integration i think.

1 Like

Sonos.

I bought a Sonos not so long ago, after i connected it to the wifi it just appeared in the new app out of no where

1 Like

For brands like that, I just wondered who is going to be responsible for the integration going forward.

With Lutron, we are now in a situation where it appears that some devices, like the Serena shades, only work with the classic app. Some devices, like the dimmer switches, work with both. And some, like the fan switch was introduced in early 2019, don’t work with either. When asked specifically about the fan switch, smartthings support says it’s up to Lutron and Lutron support says it’s up to smartthings, but it doesn’t appear that anyone is working on it.

So with Sonos, if Sonos introduces a new device, I’m just wondering who, if anyone, would be responsible for getting that into the integration.

8 Likes

Honestly, I think this is complete crap. I use an integration to arm my DSC system when I run my goodbye scene. I also use an integration for MyQ support seems that was never readded. Reading this I figure I may as well just start looking into and setting up Hubitat or something I can just control myself. Very tired of all the vague information from Samsung. Typical.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: SmartThings vs Hubitat - please share your experience!

What are the “select legacy hubs”? v1? v2? One-offs (ADP)?

4 Likes

My guess is hubs which aren’t getting firmware updates, v1 is very likely, the rest are still actively maintained AFAIK so I don’t see any reason to retire them.

1 Like

Been a long time since the dual logo ADT model got an update.

F-ADT-HUB-1

3 Likes

The greatness of smartthings for tinkerers was that even if you aren’t an official developer, you can make custom stuff tailored to you and not have to have it get approved by smartthings. The direction this seems to be going in is requiring a developer account, which I would rather not do. This is going in the direction of wink
 closed off and not tinkerer friendly. Maybe a JSON ide could solve this?

2 Likes

I had the same hangup until someone else pointed out to me that the language of the developer page is stronger than the actual check. Currently, anyone can register as a developer. Just make up your own organization.

2 Likes

Who says it’s stable??

1 Like

What are the implications for ADT/Smartthings hub and connected devices?

6 Likes

Where does the “Connected Home over IP Project” or whatever it is called fit into the present and future situation for SmartThings?
Doesn’t it include Google, Amazon, Apple and Zwave and the entire Zigbee Alliance, working with Samsung and others?
Isn’t Google Home’s most recent app upgrade starting to look, at least cosmetically, as expansive as SmartThings’ app?
I don’t know the answer, but I have to ask the question:
Isn’t it possible that the direction in which these companies including Samsung, are now moving apace, create the possibility that they may make the SmartThings hub superfluous for new adopters?
Please don’t shoot the messenger - I’m just asking.
I don’t know the answer, but the thought must be crossing some minds. Not just mine.