Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform

Wait a minute…phased out… so do we…

1. lose webcore
  2. have newer webcore
    3 have something that is already integrated to smartthings

I thought that no1 is not happening.

It’s not. Nobody has ever said that webCoRE is going away.

2 Likes

But when asked no-one has confirmed that it’s staying either…

For me the absence of WebCore is what will push me over to Hubitat if it comes to fruition.

Right now for me (and many others), it feels that a switch to Hubitat would easier than what is being proposed here. Particularly when most of my automations are in WebCore…

In Hubitat it’s just a simple case of loading your pistons from a backup and updating the devices, and you can seemingly use hub link to avoid having to include/exclude all your ST devices.

Happy to be proven wrong, but by all counts it sounds like a much easier route forward.

It’s groovy. The SmartThings hosted cloud for groovy is going away eventually.

At that point people would have to host it for themselves in groovy somewhere and then add the hooks to connect it back to smartthings through the API.

That’s pretty similar to just going over to Hubitat and using it there, again with hooks back to smartthings if you want to. Those hooks would have to be written to conform with the new platform, of course.

The other option will be shift to the official feature, the rules API, which is clearly intended to have very similar features to Webcore. But I don’t know much about it at this point.

I suppose smartthings could adopt it as an official feature and keep it going Even after other customer written groovy code is no longer allowed, but then what’s the point of the rules API?

https://community.smartthings.com/c/smartapps/rules-api/101

1 Like

I’m just tired of the rug being pulled out from under us literally every time this platform starts feeling stable again.

I wish I could :heart: this 100 times!!!

2 Likes

To be fair, maybe the system is stable now because of the changes that are being made. I really appreciate staff being here walking us through the transition and also actually “listening” to us, which is very small group in comparison to the whole.

Hang in there!

12 Likes

You could setup your system this way but in doing so, you will now have 2 systems to maintain. All of your devices are still connected to your Smartthings hub so, if you created rules within Hubitat, you will still be using the Smartthings infrastructure.

Generally, you would use Hub Link, or HubConnect, as a way to exclude your devices from Smartthings and add them to Hubitat at your leisure while still keeping your system operational.

Also, if you have device(s) that work better on Smartthings, for me that is the my Honeywell thermostat, then you can leave that device on Smartthings and control it from Hubitat. To actually use Hubitat as it is designed, you would still need to exclude your devices from Smartthings and add them to Hubitat.

1 Like

Will hub link or hubconnect continue to work after the GREAT migration? Aren’t they groovy apps?? :wink:

Hmmmmmm

Anyway, Hubitat hub is out of stock in the UK. Must be all the ST users panic buying :slight_smile:

No, that started back in May.

1 Like

Correct, those are Groovy SmartApps which will cease to run once the ST Legacy IDE is completely shutdown. Hopefully those SmartApp developers will modify their code to use the New ST API. I believe HubConnect stands the best chance of being upgraded, as it is Community maintained. I am not sure how excited the Hubitat Engineers will be to re-engineer the HubLink integration.

1 Like

It was actually the flood of Wink refugees, combined with the global pandemic disruption in the supply chain, along with Hubitat being in the middle of a hub model upgrade to include the Z-Wave 700 series radio that I believed caused the out of stock conditions. They just announced shipments of their new C7 hub are on the way.

5 Likes

What’s going to happen to virtual switches once all of this transition is complete?

Will we as individuals and customers be able to create them without having to set up a developer account?

And if so, how?

If we do need a developer account, then what?

Right now, these look like custom hub connected devices, even though obviously they aren’t, they are just software.

9 Likes

The Digital Media Zone article linked herein said in part:
“SmartThings will be partnering with manufacturers to make compatible devices and embed SmartThings hub functionality in their devices.”
But I don’t see anybody discussing that prediction here! Did I just miss it? Seems strange if in fact no one here is discussing that prediction or its implications for existing users vs new users.
If true it could be good news as per the old adage that “High tide raises all boats.”
But what do you all think about it?

It’s mainly talked about on Stacey’s podcast and the Business Insider article. SmartThings refers to it as the Works as a SmartThings Hub (WASH) program. Indeed had a lot potential to grow the number of ST users if they parter with a big enough company.

2 Likes

Does that mean that we should expect to see Alexa and Google Home devices introduced soon with “embed(ded) SmartThings hub functionality” with no need to purchase the Hub separately?"
If so, that could possibly mean a lot more people joining the ST community of users, I guess. So not necessarily a bad thing?

I doubt Alexa and Google Home. Could be other companies like they’ve done in the past. Vodafone, Nvidia Shield, Calix, etc.

1 Like

I think that if we are to learn anything from history, it’s that embedded SmartThings Hub functionality via third parties has thus far not been very successful. At one point, Samsung promised all of their televisions would be able to become a SmartThings hub with a small USB dongle. That never happened. The NVidia Shield as a ST hub happened, although I don’t see many people feeling it gets much love and attention in terms of firmware updates and capabilities. The ADT SmartThings was a pretty interesting product, which appears to be dying on the vine (although no formal announcements have been made.) Those users aren’t exactly ‘feeling the love’ either.

So, I believe that might explain the apparent lack of enthusiasm within the community. I doubt many, if any, companies will attempt to build a dedicated Works As a SmartThings Hub for Zigbee, Z-Wave, LAN connected devices that would directly compete with Samsung’s v3 hub. There just is not enough profit margin, IMHO. Rather, I would guess that third parties would be more inclined to have their devices directly connect to the new ST API, and allow for seamless integration.

3 Likes

yeah, i’d agree with the same assessment of the WASH program to this point. As I understand it, the previous architecture required updates to he ST firmware to be pushed by the partner (Nvidia, ADT, etc.). This obviously isn’t good and has led to fragmentation. I asked specifically about this in the WASH session at SDC 2019. ST staff indicated that in the future the ST firmware will run in its own container so that it can be updated independently of the partner. We’ll see if this comes to fruition.

5 Likes