Announcement | Changes to our Legacy SmartThings Platform

Why Amazon? They have nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

1 Like

Most of the Aqara/Xiaomi sensors need a custom device handler rather than a generic one because they don’t adhere to the zigbee protocol very well. I’m a bit confused about why this is an issue for you though. Custom device handlers still work with the new app, can still be created, edited, shared, etc. I have many Aqara/Xioami sensors including door/window sensors, motion sensors, temp/humidity sensors, buttons, leak sensors, vibration sensors, and “magic cubes”. Other than the magic cubes, all of them work with the new app (though some, like the buttons, have slightly more limited functionality than they did in the classic app).

That said, there are some serious issues with both SmartThings and with Aqara/Xiaomi sensors that would prevent me from recommending either of them at this time. The recent platform changes have caused me to lose control of some of my devices periodically, I’ve lost the ability to reliably trigger Alexa routines from SmartThings events, some components of the new app don’t work on Android 11, device history is completely messed up/delayed, etc. The Aqara/Xiaomi sensors don’t follow the zigbee standard, and will drop off the network if they route through an incompatible repeater, and the vast majority of zigbee repeaters are incompatible.

I was actually pleasantly surprised* - I waited again until ST forced my hand to update Alexa and did nothing in advance to prep. A notice from Alexa app appeared, and the old devices were gone in Alexa once the old integration expired. Adding the new skill added back devices, which I then had to re-do all my device entries in all the rooms. I was glad to not have to do the step of deleting all devices beforehand.

Now if I can only be confident that “Alexa, turn on the living room lights” isn’t also turning on/off the same/similarly named devices in my vacation home, I’d be peachy happy. (Yes, I know I’ve already changed their names/disabled just being snarky sarcastic.)

*It’s amazing how low the bar is set… :zipper_mouth_face:

5 Likes

I did the same. The worst of it was setting up all my rooms again and hiding all the duplicates for other integrations (e.g. ecobee). All in an hour or so of work. Still silly, but nothing compared to the debacle of moving to the new app and the useless unreliable automations.

1 Like

So, I don’t know if this is accurate or not, but our Amazon rep (we buy Smartthings hubs from them, a few 1000 a year) just notified us that the V3 hub is ‘end of life’ immediately. Amazon can not get any additional inventory and canceled several hundred of our orders.

I haven’t been able to find ANY reference to this happening ANYWHERE, I also don’t necessarily trust my Amazon rep, because he’s been ZERO help on finding another option (we need Z-Wave for our locksets). Has anyone else heard anything about this.

We’re in full spin control becasue we’ll need ~1000 between now and the 1st quarter 2021. We don’t want to go with Samsung’s mesh solution because we’re partnered with eero.

2 Likes

It’s real…It’s happening…

It does look Aeotec will simply be reselling the exact same v3 St Hub initially.

2 Likes

I switched to a different hub when this news came out. It’s pretty obvious that ST isn’t interested in home automation anymore.

2 Likes

Nope, just building a whole new API dedicated to automations.

4 Likes

RIP Classic App

I am reasonably happy with the new app when it loads devices. Half the time it doesn’t until a second try. Really weird. I also can’t seem to load it onto an older Android table I have - probably isn’t supported by the older Android OS. Fortunately for now my HousePanel app works on anything with a browser. The old app still works on my old Android app despite Samsung’s claim it would stop today.

5 Likes

Please can you share any plans / the current plans to retire the V1 hub ?

Will there be a SmartThings v4 hub ?

Thanks

3 Likes

What is the current status? Lots of things are not working with the new hub. Will there be support for shade tree developers? This would be home uses with some technical skill but not full fledged programmers.

1 Like

Really !!!.. Disconnecting the BEST SMARTTHINGS HUB Until now !!! :angry:

Where is the migration tool? I am supposed to manually reset and set up 50+ devices again, because my 100% functioning v1 hub is no longer supported? And there is no migration tool available?

7 Likes

there is no migration tool for the v1 hub… only for v2 and v3

2 Likes

I think we’ll see movement to developers hosting the code and offering a monthly subscription. I honestly don’t see another way for an end user to access custom apps or DTH’s easily.

1 Like

Which is just… sigh.

1 Like

While I think that is one possible outcome (in fact, already exists today with ActionTiles and SharpTools), I really don’t see 95+% of the community developers getting into the cloud hosting business for other SmartThings users. Thus, I see the days of the hobbyist developer sharing their code being numbered once the Groovy IDE is completely shut down. I hope I am wrong…

4 Likes

Killing an alarm panel? My email states that in 90 days, my ADT Smarthub Alarm will STOP FUNCTIONING, sensors, everything, even locally, it won’t even continue to work locally. Over $700 invested in what they touted was a serious home security system to “protect what matters to me.”, and in 90 days it will be a brick. And, as a solution, they offer I buy a new Blue ADT hub from them, the very company that just promised to leave my home and family unprotected 90 days from now. Can anyone say “class action”? It’s certainly immoral, has to be illegal.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this issue has been litigated many times in US courts and it all comes down to the terms of service.

The smartthings terms of service, which you agreed to when you set up your smartthings account, says they can discontinue anything at any time for any reason. I know most people don’t read the fine print, but it is in there.

Terms

Will SmartThings ever change the Services?
We’re always trying to improve the Services, so they may change over time. We may suspend or discontinue any part of the Services, or we may introduce new features or impose limits on certain features or restrict access to parts or all of the Services. In some cases, the changes we make to the Services may cause older hardware devices, third party services, software configurations or setups to no longer work with the Services, and you may be required to upgrade or change these devices, services, configurations or setups in order to continue using the Services. We’ll try to give you notice when we make a material change to the Services that would adversely affect you, but this isn’t always practical.

They have a separate issue with warranties, which is why they are offering a “full or partial“ refund for panels which are still in the warranty period. But again, this kind of issue has come up many times before, and at least in the US, a legal case unfortunately won’t get you anywhere.

See the current discussion thread for more about the “retirement.“

Hub retirements (2021) V1, Nvidia Link, ADT

I find it hard to believe that a judge or jury wouldn’t consider this egregious, regardless of any fine print, considering how they marketed this product, it’s equivalent to ransomware, but with hardware. Never buying another Samsung product again, or ADT for that matter. We aren’t talking about some app that stops working, it’s hardware that they are remotely killing, even though ( in the case of my ADT alarm panel) it runs 100% locally, save the app interface to arm, disarm and notifications. 90 days to spend them money on a proper alarm or leave my family unprotected at a dangerous time. Again, if it isn’t illegal, it’s clearly immoral.

1 Like