Android Wear is awesome!

Hi mattifrank,

Thanks for buying the app :smile:

Initially, I had a vertical list view of things in the app, like:

But I then decided to give each thing its own screen to make it harder to accidentally push a button you didn’t want by accident.

The vibration function is to notify the user than the message was sent from the watch to the phone. If it doesn’t vibrate, there is a problem sending the message.

I plan to improve the functionality of the app over the next couple of months, my intent is to have it serve as a quick control of lights and switches as opposed to replacement for the SmartThings mobile app.

Thanks for your reply. The big problem with each device having it’s own page it it can take a long time to get through them all, it’s a wonderful start and the app works well though.

1 Like

Just picked up a Moto360 and will be using the CleverObjects app. Whats the best route for feedback/thoughts/ideas if you are open to them?

But it looks like there is no connectivity for the app atm so I backed out the install. Will be curious to see if it comes back and is sanctioned by Smartthings as it looks like passing a login was required (security concerns?).

@Jordan_Rejaud

Just tried your app but I’m getting the blank screen error. Doesn’t look like it’s been updated since Dec. 16th. Any news?

Hi Spliitime and Chrisb, SmartThings implemented Oauth2 authentication to interface with devices a while ago and I finally got around to implementing that in the app a few days ago. The app is updated and working as intended again, the blank screen error is gone, sorry for the delay in fixing this.

I would very much like to hear your feedback and suggestions, I’ll be adding new features to the app in the near future, you can put your suggestions in the google play page for the app when you write a review for it, or just email me at jrejaud (at) gmail (dot) com

Hi,

Sorry to revive a rather old thread but i have a LG G Watch sat on a shelf in a box unopened as I could never get excited about the styling given i have a nice traditional watch
Not sure how many of you still have Android wear devices but thought this was the best place to ask

Would there be any way to use the watch purely as an interface for ST (independently from a phone) if say mounted in something like the below stand or on the wall (with no strap) and always charging. If this is possible it would seem like a discreet way to interact with ST in a room where a wall mounted tab doesn’t make sense.

I would not want to receive notifications from any of my gmail accounts as this would be mounted in a potentially shared space that could be used by guests or family when visiting
 is this possible?

Look forward to hearing back.

Independent of a phone, I don’t think there’s an easy way to do it. I’m sure there are ways, but they would probably involve some programming/coding skills. I can’t recall off the top of my head if the G was WiFi or not, but if it does I could envision some sort of interface where tapping an on screen button launches an endpoint that toggles a switch or lock or something to that effect. With enough behind the scenes work you could probably do more like scenes or routines, etc.

However, I don’t think this is a good use of available resources. Sell the watch and buy a cheap tablet. Even though this isn’t top of the line in terms of Android Wear I suspect you could still get between $50 to $100 easily. Use that to buy a low-end tablet like a Nexus 7 and run SmartTiles on it. Bigger screen, easier to use, great options with very little back end work for you.

Most Android Wear apps have dependencies on the phone to make the actual calls out to third party services. That being said, you could pair a phone or tablet with the device and restrict which notifications and apps run on the watch – for example, you could use the Android Wear app by @Jordan_Rejaud or use Tasker + SharpTools + AutoWear to put together a custom integration.

Hi Chris,

Absolutely agree 90% of the time a 7" tablet with smart tiles is the way to go - but for quite a few scenario’s i can think of, a discreet device like a G watch (which I would image could handle moisture better), might be a nice alternative. eg a wall mount in say a bathroom (where i already have in ceiling audio) and an ‘OK Google’ command to play music and turn on the Ceiling star lightst or spots
 or even turn the nest up so its warm when you get out the shower
 Maybe a G watch on that stand would make a nice bed side ST controller that doesnt dominate the available space on a bed side table
 those kinds of scenarios. Unfortunately the G watch is not Wifi enabled so it does seem somewhat limited so i will head back to the drawing board. In the UK they sell for about £30-40 on ebay so at that price i might just throw it in the loft and let any potential future kids see how Android Wear all started back in ‘the old days’. I might see if i can pick up a different Wifi enabled ‘wear’ device and set up a new Google account dedicated to it (to prevent notifications) and see what can be achieved via the likes of IFTTT / Tasker etc
 in my mind i still think it could be a graceful solution to a few interaction points where navigating through your phone just doesn’t the most efficient or smart way to interact with ST :wink:

Yeah, I could see that a small interact, especially a waterproof small interface, would be nice. I think the hurdles of getting it to interact with SmartThings might be an issue, but each person has their own unique needs, desires, and abilities. Maybe this is something that you or someone else could tackle pretty easily.

Another option where size is a issue, get a small screen tablet, like this 4 incher: http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-4-3-inch-Android-Internet-Tablet/dp/B00AR4HJBM

Smaller, more discrete size, but still bigger than a smartwatch and no fussing with complex interactions. Just my opinion of course
 as I said above, to each their own.

Its a great shout @chrisb

I had considered a LG G3 for my hall (until the wife wanted a 7" instead) as it has a 2k 5" screen & is very capable
 but hadn’t really considered smaller phones/tablets as much as i perhaps should for these other use cases. I am just used to phones all being 5+" devices now. Looking at some of the low end PAYG android phones with 3 or 4" displays but still packing a (albeit low end) quad core cpu with an alright amount of ram would likely be an easier path as you pointed out earlier.

decisions decisions! thank you all for the quick input on the Android wear approach though.