Android Presence Sensing not updating quickly

I’ve been having issues recently too, both with my Samsung Galaxy S5 & DH’s S6 running Marshmallow and Lollipop (no mods.) Often I’ll have to refresh my weather app in order to manually refresh my location, which usually pushes the info ST.

I’ll try not to force quit apps, though that can be difficult as MyFitnessPal doesn’t like to play nice with my wearable trackers. :frowning:

The Samsung phones had aggressive RAM management that kills background apps. I believe with later phones (S7) they have gotten better.

FWIW, I turned off battery optimization on my Nexus 5X for a couple of weeks and didn’t have any issues with ST detecting me once I entered my geofence. So this week I turned battery optimization back on and I’ve had at least three false positive “overhead garage door intrusions” this week. I’m going to leave it on for the rest of the week and then go back to no battery optimization to see if this is repeatable. I know it didn’t help @NWTony, but thought I’d mention my results anyway.

2 Likes

Anyone have updates to this situation? My phone (Asus Zenfone) works flawlessly for presence, regardless of location setting. My wife’s Huawei 5x (awesome phone, btw) never shows presence, which is baffling since it knows where it is at. Anyone know if this problem is going to get fixed? If the phone knows where it is, ST should also. I can fire up ST on my wife’s phone, when she is home, and ST still doesn’t know the phone is “home”. I do know that Huawei has some pretty elaborate battery optimization algorithms…but the phone still knows where it is at 24/7, therefore so should ST. Location accuracy/reporting settings don’t make a difference.

When she opens it it should automatically update presence (check live logs). Make sure ST has access to location. Double check that the device is added a presence device. I could see a situation of reinstall/update could have left something out of sync.

My wife used to kill ST and it would never refresh presence. Many phones also kill background tasks so that could be an issue.

I tried re-connecting her phone via the ST mobile app on her phone, using the “Coming and Going” part of the mobile app: ST recognized the phone and immediately said “Present”. This lasted for about 5 seconds…then the ST mobile app, running on her phone, showed “Away”. Now it’s showing “Present” again. I’ll see how long it lasts.

You could try using Life 360.

Life360 isn’t a ST program.

No, but you can integrate it into ST and use it as a presence sensor.

Well, so far it appears that I got her phone working now…but only to find out that removing the Presence item from my Dashboard makes it permanently gone from the Dashboard. One step forward, 5 steps back.

At least you are getting warmer. I would uninstall ST from her phone and reinstall. Just make sure nothing is in a weird state in Android.

True. Her mobile app seems fine now. The Dashboard issue (or lack of continued support from ST) is a big problem though. But that’s a topic for a different thread.

I’ve been having a lot of issues recently with location. I’m running Nougat and just took the SmartThings app out of battery optimization so maybe it will help.

I just dropped by to see if anyone else has noticed geofencing triggers seem not reliable recently (last month or maybe 2). It had been working great for me for the better part of the last year and it’s worked once or twice in the last month. I’m hoping that taking the app out of battery optimization helps. I’m perversely glad it’s not just me.

It pretty much stopped working for me over the last few months. However it started working again over the last few days. Go figure. I have made no changes to the phone configuration.

I began also tracking presence using Sharptools several months back for the same reason.

I still also track presence through the native Smartthings app, and I can confirm it is is useless. I guess I keep it enabled incase they ever fix the issue.