Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

Neither Lannouncer or BigTalker are currently able to queue a series of commands. The result of such an attempt is the last command received overriding everything. The Keypad Entry Talker source gives you an idea of how to send and hear multiple commands with WebCore by using delays to space out the commands.

The trouble with queueing commands is that you wouldn’t be able to interrupt a long playback. Right now you could use a long siren or rock song as a signal, and send another command to stop it. I could add in special significance for a special command, but that would be a bit more work than seems worthwhile.

For a long siren, you could either use a really long mp3 of a siren, or re-send the siren command regularly while the problem exists.

My situation is I want to send a Chime/text/Chime. The only way I have found to get that to function is by using my modified version of Big Talker that effectivey sends three messages with command delays

• chime
  • timed delay/text
  • timed delay/chime/

Queueing could be controlled with some flags and some logic, for example:

• This message may be interrupted
  • This message may not be interrupted
  • This message is super high priority interrupt all but super high priority

I’m having the same issue with my Fire 7; the siren and speak work flawlessly every time, but none of the other sounds do. I even set my own audio file, but sending FILE1 does nothing. I do see all of the commands show up in the log, though.

Interesting. I don’t have access to a Fire. I wonder if an API is modified on them.

Everything works for me on a stock Fire 8. Not sure why a Fire 7 would be that much different.

Anything I could provide or do to know for sure?

I can’t figure out why but in Big Talker I can’t find Lannouncer under “Talk with these text-to-speech devices”. I can find Lannouncer in Things and make it talk and sound the siren.

When you first install BigTalker, it will ask you to choose between TTS (LANnouncer) device or a music device. Try removing BigTalker and reinstall it again so you can choose TTS device.

Thank you, that did it!

I’ve been happily using Lannouncer for a while now and have ran into one issue with some changes I’ve made and new smart apps I am using. Is there anyway to change the tone for the Beep command so it actually beeps instead of a chime? I’m setting up an entry delay with SHM Delay v2 and it only gives a beep command. I know i can do a bunch of other things with webcore but figured id ask for a simple fix first.

I got out my old Nexus 4 and installed Lannouncer app. I installed Nexus 4 as a thing in my Smartthings. When I test Lannouncer, the Alarm, Strobe and Siren works fine. The Speak is not working. I tried to run curl “192.168.1.20:1035/?SPEAK=Awaiting your command&@DONE@” to test, I got “LANnouncer: OK” on my computer. I saw “Speak Awaiting your command” in LANnouncer. I just do not hear the voice. Neither the phone nor the speaker the phone paired with speak. Is there any thing I did wrong? Thanks,

When you click on the “Tone” tile, do you get a chime sound?

I restarted the Nexus phone. Now the Talk to Speech is working, Siren is working, Strobe is working. However, Alarm and Chime are not working. I tried to click Tone, nothing happens.

Hmm, I’m not sure why only part of it is working. Usually it’s all or nothing. I have summarized the LANnouncer install steps so take a look at it and make sure that you didn’t miss anything or you might want to try re-installing again after deleting your existing install:

I did everything. Installed to different device. And it is the same thing. It’s wired. If I install from google store, the alarm, siren and chime works. If I install from downloaded apk file, text to speech and siren works.

Sorry but I’m at a loss on how to solve this problem, maybe @NWTony can offer some suggestions.

I’m having trouble getting the Android app loaded on my tablet. The Google Play link seems to be dead, I’ve tried from several devices. I also tried downloading the apk and I can’t run it from the fire tablet. I have successfully run other apk’s on that device with no issues. Any thoughts?

Actually I was able to manually install the apk on my phone. So, the apk works just not on a 7th gen Fire Tablet 8.

Hmm, I have it working on my stock 7th gen Fire HD 8. I wonder if there’s a difference in apks or there’s been update that broke something. I’ll have to check when I’m back home.

Update: LANnouncer is working on my Fire HD8