Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

Do you have a TTS installed?

1 Like

Just checked all the settings for tts (didn’t enable/disable anything) and suddenly it’s working. Absolutely brilliant application. Thanks NWTony.

One question. I have a project currently where I’m using a web client to poll various API. It’s a PLC running on a raspberry pi.

Is there a way that I can use a HTTP request to send commands to LANNouncer?.

How can requests be sent through the web to Lanouncer?.

Glad to hear it.
Sure, the LANNouncer commands are documented on the web site, along with some curl examples. See http://www.keybounce.com/lannouncer/integrating-with-smartthings/using-lannouncer-in-smartthings/

Thanks very much.

However, I have tried all scenarios but can not write a http request to send the command to Lannouncer.

For test purposes I always use Hurlit but no command will work as a HTTP GET or a HTTP POST.

Maybe I am missing something but do you know if a HTTP GET or POST would work with LANNouncer. It’s my only mechanism of communication from my application side.

Thanks again for your help.

It’s a GET. You need the parameters of a GET.
For example, using the curl example (which is an HTTP GET by default)…
curl “192.168.1.20:1035/?SPEAK=@|ALARM=CHIME&@DONE@”
This would be the equivalent HTTP URL in your browser:
http://192.168.1.20:1035/?SPEAK=@|ALARM=CHIME&@DONE@
Just correct the IP address and put it in your browser and it will work.

(Note that you don’t need the SPEAK= for an alarm; I chose that example as the simplest GET.)

It’s even simpler than that. Since all that LANNouncer returns is a status string, you don’t need to use HTTP technically. You can just send that to a socket using standard TCP. (i.e. no protocol other than opening the socket.)

2 Likes

NWTony you sir, are a gent. Bought you a martini.

I now have it working perfectly from my application using simple TCP. Thanks for your quick support
and great work again on the application.

Hi all.

Has anyone seen an option for Android multicast using a Bluetooth receiver?. I’d love LANNouncer to speak on more than just one connected Bluetooth speaker.

I know we can’t get simultaneous Bluetooth connections but would love to see if there was some possibility outside the expensive Yamaha musiccast which will allow a single Bluetooth connection simultaneously stream to other compatible Yamaha speakers.

@NWTony , thanks a lot to your Smart Apps. I setup 6 room with LANNouncer and Big Talker, its worked like a charm !
In the Playing Audio Files , could you add 2 more files ( File 6, and 7 ) for 7 days a week ?
Thank you for any help you can offer.

I think I’m having this same issue. No sound if I press the big Alarm button other than it changing to Siren as if it’s going off. If I press the Siren button on the right with the speaker icon instead, I get the police sound.

I have SHM configured to use it as a siren on intrusion, but so far no sound when it goes off.

I’m new to all this so please forgive me… I have Samsung Galaxy Prime running Android 5.1.1… I’ve installed LANnoucer from the play store…

I’ve created a device handler with the .groovy code and then created a device… Modified the settings per the directions and have also paired my phone with Alexa…

In the ST app I’ve tested the Siren and Speak and both play over my Alexa…

I then installed BigTalker from here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/BigTalker

Added it as a SmartApp in the ST app… When I launch the Big Talker app and try to configure it says “There are no devices of this capability” under “Talk with these text-to-speech devices (default)” It also says the version is 1.1.2?

I know I’m probably doing something wrong… Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

When you first run BigTalker, it will ask you what kind of player you have, either music or speech. You want to choose speech for LANnouncer. I think you may have to remove and reinstall BigTalker to get that option again.

1 Like

I just setup 4 Kindle Fires using the aron7676’s setup script to install Fully Kiosk Browser, LANnouncer, etc. I am using these to display ActionTiles menus and, I hope, provide audible alerts of some kind.

However, attempt to get LANnouncer working have met with only limited success. I added the device handler and app via the IDE for LANnouncer. (I also added Big Talker V2) But, the best I can get from the fire 7’s the Siren sound or an occasional chirp from the Alarm/Strobe.

To make sure the smartthings side of the system was setup correctly I also loaded the LANnouncer app on my Galaxy S7 phone. It is working perfectly!

I sent several tests to one of the Fire 7 tablets while watching the LANnouncer app log and can see them arriving in the LANnouncer log. The Siren sound works consistently but no other sounds do and no announcements can be heard even though all are showing up in the app log.

Are there any known issues with the Kindle Fires? Is there anything specific I need to do to them under the hood to allow LANnouncer to work?

Thanks!
Tom G.

@Jimxenus or @NWTony. Are you at all interested in making LANnouncer available on Hubitat?

Just to play with it, I made the basic change that is recommended from ST to Hubitat and it only threw one error. I commented out that one line and it seems to be working (I don’t know Groovy at all so haven’t a clue what that line does).

I’m having the same issue. This thread mentioned going in and turning off smart suspend. Will try that and see if that helps any.

I’ve just set up Lannouncer and BigTalker2 on a FireHD… all is working, except when it speaks it adds the Lannouncer version first for the first message every 10-15 mins…

Am I missing something to disable this?

Thanks

It only adds the version if you include the version command. Either via VERSION=ON or through the setting in the device in SmartThings.

I haven’t even glanced at the device code in something like 18 months. For me, LANNouncer just plain works, hidden on a cheap $49 Android tablet in a wiring closet. So I don’t know if SmartThings has changed the expectations, but most likely you have a setting on the device mis-set or are including that string in BigTalker.

My Smart Home smart app doesn’t see LANnouncer as a TTS device option. It’s working for BigTalk2, but not Smart Home. Is there something I can do to fix that or that’s just not going to happen for now?

I’ve got a couple of Fire8’s working with actiontiles, SHM and SHMDelay, Lannouncer, Bigtalker2. Everything works partially, love the TTS and being able to even type messages, COOL! However I’ve got a couple of issues and I feel like there are a couple things that need refined:

1 - When alarm is triggered, Fire8 is being sent command:
+@TTSSMS@+;ALARM=SIREN:CONTINUOUS ;FLASH=CONTINUOUS ;@DONE@\

However, what I’ve noticed is that anything with a flash command causes the lannouncer to fail, so my siren triggers and immediately goes mute (I’m guessing since the fire8 doesn’t have a flash, hitting the device “ON” from ST app is the same command, SIREN works)

How can I replace this with the command that actually works??? or is there another fix ??
+@TTSSMS@+&&ALARM=SIREN:CONTINUOUS ; @done@\

Furthermore, when exiting and entering during delay, shouldn’t I get a series of chimes to notify me that the system needs attention? I get the standard open chime, but nothing further, no visual or audio indication that the system needs to be disarmed, I’d love the standard ding countdown. Help so I can order the rest of my sensors and fully ditch cable co security forever! (I’ve had them for 7 years at $40 a month)

I remember trying the flash command on my Fire8 and it did not work, caused a crash.

If you are using a Hardware Keypad with SHMDelay my addon app [Release]Keypad Delay Talker may do some of what you want.

Thank you for a reply arnb… I actually just edited the device handler and removed flash from the both command it was sending as its “on”… Fixed the fire 8 alarms… I do still need to figure out how to get continuous chimes during entry and exit delays… Maybe edit the SHM delay 2 to insert lannouncer commands at its delay command? Anyone done this?