Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

Sorry, I was referring to a previous post by NWTony… When I hit reply I thought it would reference that comment but it didn’t.

I’ve completed through steps 14 from what you referenced and i’m still having no luck. My galaxy s5 does not appear to be receiving any commands even though everything seems to be set up properly.

A good ol’ uninstall and reinstall seemed to work.

1 Like

@olywrestle do you have routing between the vlans enabled?

Yep, I do. I didn’t have time to finish troubleshooting today. Just was weird curl worked in both scenarios.

Dunno, but I’m pleased that curl worked. Start simple.

A couple months ago, Lannouncer quit speaking in WAN mode on my S8 Samsung. It still speaks in LAN mode. In WAN mode while away from home I still receive the text part of the messages, and the Siren audio comes across. Also,the Tone and Siren sounds come across when I test using the Smartthings app. Just do not get any Text to Speech function in WAN mode for some reason. It used to work. Any ideas on how to restore this functionality? I am a premium user, and the log messages indicate WAN messages are being received.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 Like

Hello, I have installed everyhting as per instructions and works seemlesly in one tablet, text to speech goes to my echo, but a tried to do the same in another to toablet to have notifications in all my echos, but I cant get them to speak, in the lanannouncer envelope to test it I get no response, have reviewed my configuration in each and is identicall, any ideas how to solve this?

Regards,

Ed

I’m having a bit of trouble with the volume being very soft on a Fire 7. I went into settings and turned up all of the volumes that I could find, but when it says “door unlocked” it is very soft. I have the Fire 7 itself turned up as well I believe. Is there something that I’m missing that limits the volume or has another control?

Unfortunately, it’s the Fire 7 itself. You could plug in an external speaker or connect it to another speaker via Bluetooth. There is also software that can boost the volume somewhat:

Did you pair it to a different echo? I think you can only have one device paired at a time.

Yes, each tablet is paired to a differente echo, but even not pairing it, the lan annoucer will enable the text to speach, only in the first one I configured. Why the other two are not working?

Are you sure that they are running OS 5.1 (Lollipop) or better?

Wha?! Yeah, you need to have it paired with some kinda of speaker to get any volume out of it.

I have all of my tablets paired with either a soundbar or an echo device. Love it!

Yes, absolutly!

OK, I know this might be basic but I would do the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot your Android device
  2. Make sure your volume is up and you can hear sounds from it
  3. Run LANnouncer
  4. Check the IP address that is assigned to it
  5. Make sure that they are on the same WiFi/network as your SmartThings hub
  6. Open SmartThings app on your phone or other device and make sure the speaker configuration on your speaker device type has the same IP address shown in LANnouncer on your tablet
  7. You can test it by clicking on the Tone tile in the speaker device type. With 3 tablets, you should have 3 speaker device types created in the IDE.

Everything looks fine, have the three devices created, when I press the Speaker icon on Smarthings it does not sound, but if I press the Siren icon it will sound the siren. It is strange.

I’m sorry but I’m at a loss at what else to try except to start all over. You did follow these instructions that I posted earlier in this thread? I guess you could try installing on a completely different Android device, maybe the other ones you have are bad?

No audio…

I have the device handler installed as per the instructions and LANdroid Alerter configured in My Devices.

Lannouncer is installed on a Nexus 9 running 7.1.1 along with the ST app, and the LANdroid Alerter shows up in the Things list. When I test the alarm, the app shows “On” and the event is showing up in the device event log, but there is no sound.

I’ve been through all the settings and am at a loss. And triple checked the audio setting in Android! Appreciate any ideas!

@NWTony, Hi. Bought you a double martini at Feb 16 ( PP transaction … 3433 ). Could you add me to your list of premium users. Thanks .

Hi All.

I have everything set up fine but the only thing that doesn’t work is speech?.
I’ve tested the siren and tones form the smart things app and all is working. When I test speech nothing works.

I’ve also tried the curl command curl “http://MYIP:1035/?SPEAK=Awaiting your command&@DONE@” but nothing is spoken.

Trying the curl commandcurl “http://MYIP:1035/?ALARM=CHIME&@DONE@” works perfectly.

I’m on a Firetab 8 HD. Any idea why speak specifically doesn’t work?.

Thanks in advance