Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

Hmm. Sounds like time for a reinstallation. I’ll check back if that doesn’t
work with a log file.

Hey Jason, it still looks like your devices are connecting and getting the status.

Let’s set up a time over the next few days where you can connect when I can watch the server.

Sounds good. No hurry on my part. Thanks so much for being so responsive about this.

Have a great Christmas/ happy holidays!

Jason, give it a try now. I think I found the problem, with help from another user.

1 Like

I see all 5 file options! Thanks Tony!

1 Like

Thank you for putting this together, I am running into one issue. I am using an Asus Tinkerboard running Android marshmallow. Lanannouncer is not finding my ip address. After searching and troubleshooting, it is I believe because I am using the ethernet connection on the board instead of the wifi. Is there a way to manually add the ip? Or to have it look for ethernet? I have root access to the device.

LANNouncer doesn’t actually need the IP address, so long as inward-bound sockets work. e.g. GCN will figure it out for itself.

The bigger question is, do YOU know the IP address? If you do, the samples in the online manual should work anyhow.

Yes, I know the address. It is statically assigned. I will have to keep checking things out to figure out why it is not picking up. Thanks.

using logcat on the “tablet” I see the responses coming in. The received message and data both just says null - edited to fit by removing a bunch of the repeating null responses. Any ideas?

12-31 20:56:50.210 7397 7427 I LANnouncer SockService: Connection received from /192.168.1.27
12-31 20:56:52.262 460 562 V AlarmManager: triggered: act=run_background_task61 cmp=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/com.google.android.apps.gsa.tasks.AlarmWakefulBroadcastReceiver Pkg: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
12-31 20:56:53.216 7397 8016 I LANnouncer SockService: Received data: nullnullnull
12-31 20:56:53.218 7397 7397 I LANnouncer SockService: Received Socket Message: nullnullnull
12-31 20:56:53.232 7397 7397 I LANnouncer SockService: Parsed Commands:
12-31 20:57:07.001 460 562 V AlarmManager: triggered: act=android.content.syncmanager.SYNC_ALARM Pkg: android

I haven’t seen such a thing before. Have you tried the curl examples?

Still using LANnouncer and loving it! Thanks again for putting this together Tony.

As an FYI, I’ve found that by adding capability “Audio Notification” to the code, LANnouncer is able to receive and process commands from quite a few more SmartApps. Has added quite a bit more compatibility and functionality for me, and I thought it might help others in the same regard.

1 Like

What are some of those smart apps that you can use with this added functionality?

I have not, honestly not sure how to do that, but will do some research and try tomorrow.

I tested with curl, and it works. I am configured for LAN mode, but in the IDE I see it is being sent as SMS. It does not matter if I am using the app on my phone, or on the tablet itself to test with. Weird. Thanks for your help so far.

It’s only sent as SMS if you’re using the additional SmartThings app to enable it. Which creates another device, the Remote LANDroid device. Uninstall that and send the notifications to the regular LANNouncer device in SmartThings.

Thinking about it more closely I’m not sure there are any additional apps this has opened up, but there are several smartapps where previously the LANnouncer only had options to be used as an alarm/siren, and now it shows up as an audio notification device or speaker form me, which in some cases adds significant functionality. I’ve also added music player capability as well. I don’t recall all of the smartapps impacted, but the two most notable ones for me so far were Ask Alexa and webCoRE. I also have a lot more options in SHM now rather than only being able to use the default siren.

What happened is I kept trying to set up rules in various smartapps that would trigger an audio notification, but my LANndroid device was often not an option, and my Dome siren was. This seemed odd to me since the dome siren has such limited functionality in comparison, so I compared the DH code and realized this was why.

Edit: I’ve since gone into the code and edited some of the music player commands that aren’t used to show as unsupported. This clears out some clutter and reduces confusion when building webCoRE pistons that use LANnouncer.

1 Like

I did not add the SmartApp, that is what is weird. I only did the device handler and created a device for testing as you indicated.

Okay, some additional info

Hub on Vlan 1 - 192.168.1.X
Tablet on Vlan 100 - 192.168.0.X
Computer on Vlan 100 - 192.168.0X

Using the test device in smartthings to speak and announce the build does not work. Using Curl from the computer does work.

Then switched and put the hub and tablet in the same vlan and kept the computer in vlan 100. test device works and curl works from the computer.

I could of course put the tablet and hub on the same vlan, just curious why this is happening.

I apologize, but I’m new and stuck.

I’ve completed steps 1-8 above since I’m only looking to do a LAN-Connection. I downloaded LANnouncer to my old Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1. I’ve set up the settings as instructed and have my IP Address inputted with the default port. I have ensured that the IP Address is static and that port forwarding is enabled on my router.

Everything appears to be set up in SmartThings, but when I attempt an action, nothing happens on the S5 for any of the commands (Siren, Strobe, etc.). SmartThings records in the log that the cURL command was sent to the proper IP Address and port, but the S5 doesn’t appear to be receiving anything. I did a PING to the device’s IP address and everything seems normal there. Nothing appears in the LANnouncer log other than “LANNouncer Socket Service Started” & “Listening /:::1035”.

Everyone else on this thread seems to have made it farther than me, so I’m hoping I’m just missing something obvious. It doesn’t sound like I need BigTalker unless I want to do more complex commands.

Can someone help?? I’m assuming you might need more information but I’ll wait to hear what that might be before I start posting everything.

Are you referring to my steps at

If so, then you will need to complete at least through step 14 to get it working properly.