Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

The other thing to try is, install catlog or another Android logging program. When you notice that LANnoucer isn’t responding, check the logging program for events from LANnouncer (you can filter on lann, which should be sufficient.)

There may be a case I’m not catching on your device crashing the service. This data would help me find and fix it.

@NWTony

I tried catlog the other weekend and it said it would not work because my device had not been rooted. Is there a version that works on non-rooted devices?

You could try using ADB and a USB cable. Less convenient, but functional even with stock.

BigTalker 1.1.4-Beta8 should now be working with Lannouncer (LanDroid).
Latest community post regarding resolving this: [OBSOLETE 1.1.6 5/25/16] Big Talker - Talk when events occur - #187 by rayzurbock

Please test and PM me to let me know if this resolves the issues you had or not.
Thanks!

I also had same problem. I installed “heartbeat fixer” app and it resolved the issue

Might you have a ‘system cleaner’ or ‘mem manager’ app running on the Android? If so, it may be killing it when it sleeps as part of it’s ‘kill unused apps while sleeping’ functionality. If so, you may need to go into said app and add LANnouncer to the exclusions list.

Other than that, I think the “WiFi On During Sleep = Always” setting may be the ticket. I don’t recall whether that setting is in the WiFi settings, or somewhere else…I guess I’d assume in the WiFi settings, and so, if you’ve already looked there, it may not be relevant, but I thought I’d put it out there.

In my case, I use a combination of Tasker, SecureSettings and SharpTools to turn my wall-mounted Androids’ screens on when walking up to them (LINK). However, if your WiFi connection is being dropped while sleeping, I guess that won’t help.

1 Like

I don’t believe so. Tablet is all stock but will check. The bluetooth connection to Echo also keeps disconnecting. When streaming music to my other bluetooth speaker it does not. Might just return it.

Hopefully Echo will add an integrated announcement feature soon.

I took a look, and there are actually at least three settings that could be related (suggested state in parentheses)…

System Settings / Wi-Fi / Advanced
-Scanning always available (On)
-Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections (Unchecked)
-Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep (Always)

If it’s not any of those, there may be other settings, but I’m not sure.

As for the Bluetooth issue you mentioned…I’m not sure how it all works, but is it normal behavior to be connected to and streaming audio to two different endpoints at the same time? I mean, I know you can ‘be connected’ in the sense that you have a connection to each of them set up in your Bluetooth settings, but can a single Android device actually, actively send sound to two different destination devices? I have no idea, but if not, then that’s what’s going on there.

As for the Wi-Fi not staying connected while asleep though, I would definitely check all of the settings I listed above, and check on every app that you have installed to see if any of them has some kind of setting that disconnects (like a ‘battery saver’ type of app, or a ‘task killer’ app or other).

I have a problem with Lannouncer crashing When asking for a photo and doing nothing When pressing the big alarm button (siren and speech working great) any ideas or tips for solving this problem ? Thank you. Great integration !!

@NWTony Thank you for your work on this and I am testing and everything working except the Alarm or Siren is sounding only for 3 to 4 sec and stopping, I tried everything on the phone using like another ip address and reinstalled the “Lannouncer” but no luck, any idea on this ? does this time setup some where in the Lannouncer app itself ?

I am using new LG Destiny for this setup

The alarm flashes the light. If your phone doesn’t have a light it’s probably normal that it doesn’t do anything.
I didn’t test the picture taking, so I can’t comment on that.

What do you see under curl? Did you try the Trouble Shooting section at the bottom of the LANnouncer web page?

If that seems a bit steep, just say so and I’m sure someone will walk you through it quickly. (Me, if I’m there first, but people are pretty helpful here… I probably owe @Jimxenus some beer. :wink: )

Any IFTTT users here?

I’ve got some massive updates to LANnouncer coming; I have it now also able to use the Google messaging framework so that it can get commands that way, from a REST server, which will enable IFTTT (and also faster non-LAN messaging than SMS.) But I could use a bit of help on testing it and documenting how to set it up for novices.

It also has much better on-screen logging and better DropBox handling. It may wind up with the oft-requested additional file support, allowing you to choose a few media files to play by command.

I’m an IFTTT user for a lot of things (everything from ST and Dash to Android and iOS)

I’d be available for testing.

Big IFTTT user here.

I’m more than happy to help test it as well.

any one saw the issue like me? where the Alarm Or Siren only playing for 3 to 4 sec

Any chance that this will be ported to work on the Fire OS? If not ported, a way to get these on the fire ( I already installed google play).

Ive got several “new Fire” tablets ($49 ones) throughout my house as dashboards and this would be fantastic to have these notify me if/when something happens!

You can package it from a device running Android and then move it over.

I have a Kindle Fire HD10 that is running this. I packaged it from my phone and sent it over via Box since that was available on the Amazon AppStore already

1 Like

It installed fine from Google Play, but Im not home to test its functionality or complete the config.

Im sure Ill be back on this thread tonight to see if I missed anything.