Android as a Speech/Alarm Device released! And Updated!

[quote=“NWTony, post:154, topic:30282, full:true”]
The screenshot sound is probably just LANNouncer turning up the volume. Android makes a camera noise by default when taking a screen shot, but you may have had that volume down.[/quote]

@NWTony
Interesting. I have two of exactly the same tablets (RCA 7"). Neither of them played any sort of sound upon screenshot previously…not even any sort of tiny, quiet sound…no sound. Now, the one with LANnouncer on it makes a sound. It’s not just simply a matter of turning up the volume on the sound. It’s just not happening at all on the one without LANnouncer.

Specifically which setting in LANnouncer deals with the camera snap sound?
Perhaps if that could be identified, I could test it, by adjusting the setting or whatever.

The Android version on these RCA 7" tablets is 5.0.

I am new to all of this here but got this installed thanks to someone on this site. I have it working to what i want it to do - send alert to tablet when “this” occurs. I am happy with the sound but would like it to last for 45 seconds. Anyway to do that in the device settings? Or do I need to load a custom file on my tablet. Something I think I got down but of course there is no way to tell it to use that sound file that I can see.

I believe you’ll need a custom audio file that is the length you want.

OK. So I got a file loaded on to the Android to test with and selected it in LANNOUNCER on the tablet. But I am using SmartRules to fire off the sound and my option is both, siren, strobe and off. only one that seems to work is siren. anyway to override what siren uses as it’s file?

SmartRules may not be able to give the control you need.
Might have to do the custom ones via something like BigTalker, but not sure on that.

You need to use a text engine, like @rayzurbock 's Big Talker, to send a special command to LANNouncer.

You want to “speak” @#ALARM=FILE1 as documented at the website here.

It’s a strange way of doing it, but SmartThings didn’t, when I wrote the program at any rate, make arbitrary parameters easy.

Must be doing something wrong. Tried this and no matter what I put after @#ALARM it always uses the default siren.

[quote=“ispy, post:173, topic:30282, full:true”]
Must be doing something wrong. Tried this and no matter what I put after @#ALARM it always uses the default siren.[/quote]
Let’s start with the basics…

In LANNouncer on the Android device, it tells you the IP Address. If you plug that in here instead of 192.168.1.20, into your web browser…

Do you get a chime? Or any sound?
If you get a chime, try next selecting an audio file in the LANNouncer UI for the first slot, and then…

That should play the audio file.
Finally, what program are you using to fire the audio?

1 Like

Hi @NWTony,

I have my new hub installed and a fresh install on my firetab. I can still play speech when I go to the url: http://192.168.1.75:1035/?SPEAK=testing&@DONE@ but get nothing when I try speech from the smartthings smartapp. Any ideas?

1st suggestion, no audio but log on LA shows siren sound played. 2nd suggestion plays the siren even though I used the file name.
Big Talker

First try ensuring that “Say Nothing” in the settings on the SmartThings app is on. What that does is, if an empty speak command comes through, it states the version of LANNouncer. So if you turn it off, the SmartThings app can’t say anything when you hit the test button.

What app are you using to try to get it to talk?

It is working now! It was just the LANnouncer app that didn’t seem to work. I had the ‘say nothing’ set to true. Bigtalker seems to be working ok now though. Thanks for the speedy reply!

1 Like

[quote=“NWTony, post:154, topic:30282, full:true”]
The screenshot sound is probably just LANNouncer turning up the volume. Android makes a camera noise by default when taking a screen shot, but you may have had that volume down.[/quote]

@NWTony
Interesting. I have two of exactly the same tablets (RCA 7"). Neither of them played any sort of sound upon screenshot previously…not even any sort of tiny, quiet sound…no sound. Now, the one with LANnouncer on it makes a sound. It’s not just simply a matter of turning up the volume on the sound. It’s just not happening at all on the one without LANnouncer.

Specifically which setting in LANnouncer deals with the camera snap sound?
Perhaps if that could be identified, I could test it, by adjusting the setting or whatever.

The Android version on these RCA 7" tablets is 5.0.

p.s. Wow…seriously?

@NWTony,
I wanted to update you to see if you have any more ideas. I realized now that the two commands actually play a different siren, not the same. BUT, the audio file I selected for testing is just a recording of my wife talking on the phone - was just looking for something to test. I got this by installing a MP3 recording app on the fire. So when I run this command

http://192.168.1.198:1035/?ALARM=siren&@DONE@

I get one siren and when I run this command

http://192.168.1.198:1035/?ALARM=sirenFire.mp3&@DONE@ (DONT BE CONFUSED BY FILE NAME)

I get a different siren.

The file sirenFire.mp3 is actually as mentioned my wife talking. I can connect the Fire to my PC, browse to that file and confirm when I play it, it is her speaking.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? If needed I can even email the sound recording of the sirens. I cannot attach it here.

thanks!

That’s not even close to how that works.

In LANNouncer, you have to go into the menu (dots at the top right), “Audio Files (Premium)”, and select the sirenFire.mp3 as “Select 1”. (You get #1 free regardless of Premium, which is fortunately since the developer, who won’t be named but is typing this, never set up Premium stuff.)

Then you call:
http://192.168.1.198:1035/?ALARM=FILE1&@DONE@

Not the file name, just “FILE1”.

Make sense?

ah, i see. that crossed my mind but i never looked back after the brief thought. file is selected. there it is! thanks and sorry for the misinterpretation on that.

works just like you said it should… :wink:

Got that all working. Can you think of a way to get it to stop playing the file if I change my mode back to Home? It is set to play on event when Away is active.
Thanks!

@NWTony, sorry I see that there is a stop command. I will play with that.

installed this on my old nexus7 2012 but not getting any sounds, volume is up. one time said couldn’t open port but since then seems to be ok. setup the ip in SmartApp. tried alarm on in config as well as the notify and siren in the app. tried taking picture, nothing in the pictures folder. any tips? thanks!

Are you running a new enough version, Android 5.0 or higher?