Android App destroys battery and data - 13 gigs used in 15 days

I just noticed my Android SmartThings app is leading the pack for past few weeks on data usage 674MB (613MB foreground). Coincidence to the post above me(???), I just installed HEM on 10/19 and see a jump in the data there that continues to now. Can a DH cause increase in data to the app?

I just looked and smartthings used 5.62GB of wifi data last month. 350MB THE month before. Something has changed. I’ve only added 2 more GE wall switches and an Aeon Gen 5 multisensor. The only new smartapp is CORE. I don’t go out much so not much mobile data. I do not have hue lighting. My cycle reset yesterday and I’ve already used 53MB in one day. Something is up. I think I might downgrade the app and see what happens. I just looked and the spike looks to start with the new updated app at the beginning of October. At least for me.

Maybe someone else can also confirm what I’m seeing. The newest version of the app is using considerable more data when opened than version 2.1.6. I opened 2.2.1 and watched data usage of 2-3MB with each screen change. Version 2.1.6 is showing about 1MB per screen change. This is all foreground data. Background seems negligible. I did a lot of work in the app using CORE to setup my garage lighting and my bathroom lighting, and fan control, within the last month. That might account for my high data usage. I was in the app for hours every day. Something in version 2.2.1 seems to be using two to three times as much data as version 2.1.6. Is it the new security update that is mentioned? I have a ticket open with the desk. I saw the same data spike in 2.2.0 too.

Steve

I use the app personally and professionally every day and am not hitting anywhere near these numbers.

@kevin most of the DTHs for the Aeon HEM are reporting every fluctuation in W/kW (rather than on an interval or when it changes by more than X%). These should be reporting back to the Hub/cloud and only to the mobile app when it opens… but depending on how the backgrounding is working on your phone, it could theoretically be going to the cloud for real time updates.

@oldcomputerwiz can you DM me your ticket number? Do you have any energy-tracking devices? Are you streaming any video through the app?

@Aaron Most of this is showing as foreground in android data usage. I can’t find which DH I am using exactly but it does have added settings to report on time interval or % change, I’m using time 15sec for W and 5min for kWh.

I’m experiencing the same high data usage in the foreground. It appears when the Smart Home monitor /dashboard tab is opened or refreshed that between 2-5 mb of data is exchanged each time or more. Over time that has contributed to several gb;'s of data used in the space of one month. I have an open ticket but support does not know the root cause. They are suggesting it might have something to do with CORE.

I do not have any Hue bulbs but do have 20 or so smarthings with various apps and custom device handlers.

Has anyone found a solution to the high app data usage or been able to determine what the culprit is?

I’m seeing stupidly high data usage for the app too. Why aren’t silly requests like icons for the rooms and people etc cached locally? They are constantly fetched from the cloud. This must be impacting the servers and also hitting the customers data usage.
Here’s a picture of my mobile data usage alone which excludes my wifi data which I’m on 90% of the time. If I did not have access to wifi I doubt I would survive even on a 10g data plan a month!

I found CoRE to consume up to 5MB with each page load so if your setting up rules in CORE, your going to consume data. In my testing, I found that app version 2.1.6 consumed about half the data. Just using extended sessions of the app will take a data hit. I was told by support that they are going to look at caching more items locally. The new version released today might be doing that since it seems to be considerably faster but, with all the bugs, I downgraded back to 2.2.1 before I did any testing. With 2.2.1, I have already used about 1.5GB in 10 days this month while working on a new smartapp (non CoRE) to control my living room lighting. It just looks like SmartThings is a data hog when it comes to foreground data use. Hopefully, the will get the bugs fixed in 2.2.2 quickly and we can see if that helps the usage.

Steve

Mine spiked too…my phone alerted me about my dataplan after the ST app used 1/2 gig in an hour or two, and I put a limit on the ST app. This happened around noon maybe a week ago. No problems since.

@Aaron - just curious if root cause was found on this, I haven’t noticed the large amount of data to my android app lately. There is another thread about HEM using lots of data from hub to ST… I have 3 HEMs now. So just curious what you guys found. I’m using couple of them to monitor laundry and sump pump so not collecting power usage data, just looking for on/off.