Android App (1.7)

Apparently not. It worked once I shook it harder

Blazing fast!

The only issue I’m having is @yvesracine Ecobee device and I seem to have a ghost GE Link bulb pop up that I’m not sure at this point which one of my bulbs it is (as I’m at work).

So it looks like the device types don’t like the following syntax:

backgroundColors:[
				[value: 0..4, color: "#ff0000"],
				[value: 5..19, color: "#ffa500"],
				[value: 20..49, color: "#ffff00"],
				[value: 50..100, color: "#5dfc0a"]
			]

If I change it to:

backgroundColors:[
				[value: 4, color: "#ff0000"],
				[value: 19, color: "#ffa500"],
				[value: 49, color: "#ffff00"],
				[value: 100, color: "#5dfc0a"]
			]

I do not get the error message when going to the device page. This was on @rob_a_landry 's IP camera device. Unfortunately the IP camera pictures are still not showing up…

More info on the IP cameras: I have two different types of camera device types. One is based on @rob_a_landry device type (call it A), and the other is from @greko6, which I think is an adaptation of @pstuart 's code (calll it B). For A, I can take a picture, and it looks like it will show up the next time I go into the device page. For B, I never get any pictures - just the SmartThings logo.

I really hope the IP camera support gets fixed soon. I use it a lot, and would prefer to downgrade if this can’t be fixed within a reasonable time frame. I was really hoping for camera support parity between the IOS app and the Android app regarding the camera pictures. The Android app was less useful because you could only see pics taken while on the device page.

Otherwise the app definitely loads a lot faster for me, and it looks like devices better reflect their active states.

parameter passing via HREF links in dynamic pages no longer works…

Just my luck I put an app in beta this morning, that is now completely broken.

This morning this worked, and the params map had data in the page method.

section(){
  		//always have a link for adding a new group
        href(
        	name		: nextGroupID
        	,title		: "Add a device group..." 
            ,required	: false
            ,params		: [groupID:nextGroupID]
            ,page		: "group"
            ,description: null
        )
    }

And now the params map in the page method is null…
Exactly where do I go with this?

UPDATE:
The reference for androids has changed to params.params.yourMap
The reference for IOS is still params.yourMap (as it used to be for android)
IE dynamicPageConstructior(params){
//IOS
params.yourMap
//android
params.params.yourMap
}

As a thought for the future, can we not release updates on Fridays? It’s a bit frustrating when these things go all pear shaped, and likely won’t be worked on for another 2+ days…

4 Likes

Too late for you now for my suggested method:

Always backup critical Apps before upgrading.

I use Titanium Backup (Play Store) and highly recommended it.

Also handy tool for copying backups offline to proactively prepare for phone loss or migration.

1 Like

Hello @Drewbert34, please refer to this thread…

@Tyler,

I must say that this android release (v1.7) is quite frustrating for a lot of developers out there…

During the developers’ calls every other week, would it be possible to discuss any
SmartThings upgrade in the future that could potentially affect our development work
(smartapps and custom devices)?

It would be a good practice to know about the release notes before any major upgrade, so
that we can plan ahead accordingly.

That way, we would not be taken by surprise as we are today, scrambling to correct
issues without any knowledge whatsoever of what is going on.

Examples of issues reported so far in this thread: font size, carriage returns in labels, colors range issue,
href parameter passing, image carousel issue, sliders issue

Regards.

2 Likes

Big Favour Request: Could those Community members who desire to, please, get a few days advance access to a Beta / Pre-Release channel so they can regression test prior to the public production release? That would shake out a lot of bugs regression faults prior to wider impact…

My Things view isn’t working at all (hangs) likely due to a single Device that hit one of the regression bugs… But I didn’t develop that Device, so don’t even consider myself a “developer” in this context. And, I really don’t know which Device is the problem.

Luckily I use Titanium Backup and I’m rooted and can revert to 1.6.9. Anybody need the APK?

2 Likes

My generic camera devicetype broke too. Think it is now related to outputMSGtos3 breaking and not specifically android, but can’t confirm.

This is really frustrating.

3 Likes

@Tyler, @tgauchat,

Access to a beta test apk, and a regression testing platform (for any cloud related issues) would be ideal…

The way I see it, SmartThings relies a lot on its community of developers (even to solve support issues), yet we are kept in the dark as to where the product is going (roadmap), and any upcoming releases.

My 2 cents.

2 Likes

When you install a new app, the app label under “Assign a name” is pre-populated with “Tap to set”.

Once the SmartApp installation is complete, it’s name is changed to “Tap to set”.

Now, all of my apps are called “Tap to set”!

1 Like

Yea, I noticed this as well.

Yves, you’ll have a chance to speak with the mobile team on the second April’s developer discussion.

In the mean time, I’ll pass your feedback over.

1 Like

Have not been able to access Things since 1.7.0, on 1.7.1 now and still get this when trying to access thing.

I have closed
I have rebooted
I have logged out and back in

I’m submitting ticket now.

2 Likes

@tgauchat, @mattjfrank, for me, that error comes from a tile value color bug on certain things. Initially I got the same error triggered by the Aeon Home Energy Monitor thing. I would see that when I tried to load a sub-group of things, not at the top level Things view. Had my HEM watts tile been at the top view, I would have never been able to view my things at all. I had to edit my AEON HEM device type to remove anything that looked like this:

/* backgroundColors:[
			[value: "0 Watts", 		color: "#153591"],
			[value: "3000 Watts", 	color: "#1e9cbb"],
			[value: "6000 Watts", 	color: "#90d2a7"],
			[value: "9000 Watts", 	color: "#44b621"],
			[value: "12000 Watts", 	color: "#f1d801"],
			[value: "15000 Watts", 	color: "#d04e00"], 
			[value: "18000 Watts", 	color: "#bc2323"]

]*/

So if you have a device type with similar code, try commenting out the values to tile background colors like I did above. In previous Android mobile app, the colors would not display right, but with the ver 1.7x app, the entire page will fail to load on unexpected error if a values/color tile is the top level icon for that device.

A simple test you could do in IDE, is move suspect color tile devices to a “group”. You should then be able to navigate to the top level Things page. Try viewing each group until you find the group that produces that error.

1 Like

Thanks for the specific example – indeed, it probably is the HEM causing the problem.

At the moment, I’ve reverted to 1.6.9 with any problems, because I keep backups.
Use at your own risk:

http://cosmicpuppy.com/SmartThingsAssets/com.smartthings.android-1.6.9.apk

It would be preferable if ST were to offer a bugfix release with non-fatal exception handling of the unsupported Tile-Color syntax rather than hanging, of course, no, please?? @April? Thanks!!!

I want to know who beta tested this Android app?

Did they have a single community written app installed? Devicetype?

Did they have any 3rd party devices installed at all?

This is getting really absurd. @Tyler was so “excited” about this release. I too have reverted back, thanks to a backup I had.

I hope someone from the Android dev team can come forward and explain why 1.7.x is so backwardly broken for anything the community has written.

And they better not blame the poor docs @Jim has tried to improve… The answer isn’t simply change the docs, but to fix this broken app.

3 Likes

This has been the cause of every custom device type that crashes on me. The docs site is down for me at the moment. Is there an alternative to using (\n)?

1 Like

I try to stay off the negativity bandwagon, but the reply I got from support was insulting. They apparently didn’t even bother to read my issue or look at my screenshot. (same as what I posted above) Here was the reply. At least someone was helpful, thanks @Dlee your suggestion fixed the problem.

@April, @Tyler anyone who might have an influence over support…

Is there any way that active community users can be flagged by support to not just just give canned responses?

It just wastes everyone’s time having to then wait for that response, count to 10, delete x number of responses and then calmly respond.