Android 2.1.0 - Release Notes - Commentary

First off, I do empathize with any company trying to deploy mobile apps and keep everyone happy. It’s like trying to pick which of your kids you like the best, clearly impossible. Too many devices, too many proprietary “standards” makes for a schizophrenic development team.
In general I think the navigation of the new app works great, the important bug fixes seem to have been taken care of and we took a nice step in the right direction. The interface has been simplified and I like the family page. Is it perfect, no… but is it better, absolutely. Of course there are a few little things on my hit list that would be great to make it into the next release…
–> if you’re no longer blessed with eyes that can read the small print and have set your phone up to take advantage of larger text then this is what you see in the activity feed section. Seeing half of the word goodbye! multiple times when the routine executes doesn’t really help… would rather know what action was being performed on what device.

–> although I’ll agree with the home scope comments, I did like the status indicator on that page indicating home, away, etc and would prefer not to dig through menus to find out.
–> again with the eyes… the text for presence sensors is impossible to easily look at to determine if someone is home. My kids are constantly checking in and out of the house which means I’m constantly running for reading glasses (actually a small smart device for finding the damn things would also be great… but I’m off topic). Consistency in status icons across all devices would be great. The green circles work so consistent use across devices would make life easy.

Thanks again SmartThings gurus… nice job overall. The hard work is appreciated!!

2 Likes

[quote=“claytonjn, post:37, topic:41549”]
I would love to see the Android app following all of Google’s design guidelines, I can see why they don’t. They want the app to be the same across platforms, so families with multi-platform devices don’t have completely different experiences and interfaces. It’s impossible to create an app that follows both Apple and Google design guidelines… Let alone Windows. [/quote]
I think everyone understands why they do it, but don’t necessarily agree with the logic of doing so. How many families share devices among family members? Everyone has their own device. By continuing to make an Android app act and look like an iOS app, it perpetuates it being the “oddball app” that acts different from everything else.

Bottom line… each app should be designed to capitalize on the unique strengths and differences of each platform, while keeping the relative order and sequence of accessing UI elements identical (or as close as possible). UX design is based on unifying the user experience… not making the UI identical across platforms.

4 Likes

And still, I can’t configure devices like I used to this time last year. On my things page I have one motion sensor that is showing temperature and an identical motion sensor showing motion/no motion. I’m not interested in displaying the motion/no motion parameter.

1 Like

how did you get anything other than Bob and Maryann on that screen? Mine only shows family members presence and nothing else. Maybe Nest does presence in ST?

I wish there was a way to change the info for a devices.
I’m using a “Multipurpose” sensor as a temperature sensor. I do not care if its open/closed. I want to see the temperature information…

P.S. Does anyone know of a custom device type to allow this change?

Edit: Just found this post: i guess this can work but why can’t i just switch the info as i please without doing all this

1 Like

Problem is, we yustacould :frowning:

2 Likes

The Android app looks like they heard someone’s description of what Material Design was supposed to look like and did their take on it. I still look forward to the day actual Material Design is used.

If an example is needed, use Pocketcast for a day and you’ll understand what a perfect Android app looks and feels like.

1 Like

I assume it’s going by the capability "Presence Sensor" line in the device handler. I’ve commented it out of the Nest for the time being, as it adds no value given the current state of the ST app.

Hi @Tolik, the other workaround I’ve been using more than what you found above (better in my opinion) is to find an old device/tablet and install v1.7.6 of the app. You can do that with the device you’re using now, but you have to uninstall v2.x first, do what I said here, then uninstall 1.7.6, and then reinstall 2.x. v1.7.6 allows you to select what the default tile is.

The other option would be to create you own device handler modeled exactly from ST’s, and then change the “main” statement to the tile you want. Here’s an example of changing ST’s humidity sensor to show humidity instead of temp (that was the default):

main "humidity"
	details(["humidity", "temperature", "battery", "refresh"])

SmartTiles would love to fully support all the features (and statuses) of Smart Home Monitor. Unfortunately, SmartThings is keeping SHM proprietary (the few hooks we know of are unofficial and hacks and can be disabled by SmartThings at any time). The raison d’etre of SHM is to sell monthly monitoring services and similar revenue opportunities, so we don’t think this is going to be opened up unlike most of the platform. :cry:

Sweet! that worked well. I installed it on an old Note 3 I had.
Side note: I do like the temp display SmartApp you posted since it averages out multiple temp sensors… will def be using that.

I’ve never seen the old version of the app. (until now) Where did the Low battery warning and Hub offline warning go in the new app version… am i just not seeing that someplace?

I still have same problem I had with 2.0.8 with my ZXT-120 device type. This is a IR sender which acts like a thermostat.

When I scroll down and then back up the display gets funky in a different way every time.

Here are three screen shots.

1st is normal when you first open the device
2nd and 3rd are the funky issue examples.

NOTE how different tiles get messed up each time. So the issue is very strange.

I think the reason this happens for this device and not other is this is the only device I can find that has more then one page of tiles. So the issue seems to be related to scrolling down and up for a device that has many tiles.

Ticket submitted with these details #195814

1 Like

Can some please explain to me how I find my custom smartapps in the new layout? I see smart apps, but not my smartapps and I feel like I am going in circles attempting to find what was clearly obvious before the design change.

@Scotty Look in the Marketpace under the SmartApps tab. They are on the bottom.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

OK, I figured out the solution to this one. In the device handler (which has worked for > a year, and based on code originally written by @Dianoga, who is now an ST employee), change standardTile("presence", to standardTile("setPresence", and in the details() line, change presence to setPresence.

Not difficult to fix, but still… it would have been nice if someone at ST had thought to test this and document it prior to implementation (especially since Nest is the example used in the multiAttributeTile documentation).

3 Likes

So how do we fix the “James Bond microdot spy mode” text?

1 Like

LOL, that’s for ST to fix. I submitted a ticket, along with other people I’d imagine.

Something like this issue should have been easily found in testing…

@Jim maybe this should be updated (and not be Nest) :slightly_smiling:

Which Nest DTH are you using @Mr_Lucky?