Android 2.0 Discussion

@tgauchat @johnconstantelo

Wow! This is awesome! Didn’t know that before - I’ve had my hub for ~1 week and every day I’m learning something new! I’m testing out using the Smart Lighting SmartApp instead of the Button Controller. Still working out the kinks.

1 Like

Guys, probably a dumb question but should I be able to see/add more than just Smart Home Monitor to the dashboard? In pictures on the iphone I see a lot more listed like Doors, Lights, etc. If its just the one item, I am a little unsure how this constitutes a dashboard :smile:

Thanks!

@Roach, Smart Home Monitor will be there just once, and all the other Dashboard stuff was from an earlier version that everyone who migrated wants back. So yes, a lot of white space, but we keep being told “new more exciting stuff is coming”…

I see. I am a new ST user (v2 is where I started). Guess this is some of the ‘fun’ of getting the new hub when it first comes out. Gotta wait for the goodies… :frowning:

I like your optimistic point of view!

2 Likes

I have reverted back to the v1.7.6 of the Android app because it is stable and it runs more than twice as quick as any of the version 2 releases.

Each time SmartThings updates version 2 I try and give it a go but each time I run into multiple crashes and navigating is extremely slow as compared to the older version. Plus they have eliminated the dashboard so it takes 5 times as many steps as it did on version 1.

Is this it? Is this clunky crash ridden app the permanent face of SmartThings? Seems like I have been waiting months for them to fix it but I am loosing hope.

Yea, me too…
What android version are you using?

Wish I had old version

4.4.2 I think they call it KitKat?
I was lucky enough to have a backup of the SmartThings app before I updated to version two. I am so glad I did because version two is just sooooooo slow and crashes about 20% of the time. Every time they release an update I give it a try but it just isn’t getting better and coupled with the poor design layout is a deal breaker for me.

The Smart Home Monitor doesn’t work using the older SmartThings version but under the older release it seems I am able to do far more using already existing apps.

I have a feeling that those stuck with the newer version just put up with the slowness and the lack of functionality because that is all they have. Eventually they won’t remember what they lost.

not sure if this is the proper place to toss in some feedback.

new user. setting up my stuff. And I think the app needs to have a home button on every screen. Like keep the bottom bar with home, devices, routines, and marketplace visible no matter where i am. If the thought is that screen real estate is critical (and sometimes it is)- then maybe one of the fancy new android ui things where you can scroll and things go away but if you scroll differently things pop back in would be helpful.

Sometimes i go to the wrong place and a home key would be great to bail and get back to the start to figure where i want to be. Also sometimes you get multi levels deep and need several back button presses to get out.

I find wanting to go “home” so much that i keep hitting the home button on my phone- laughing.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t know why the “spyglass” image is static, because it’s not that way on the iOS version of the app. It’s called “parallax Navigation View.” Just look at the scrolling behavior of the Google Play Store app to see it in action. Tagging @Ben and @kris (these may not be the right people, but I’m guessing they know who is).

C’mon SmartThings, this is a standard part of Android material design!!!
http://android-developers.blogspot.in/2015/05/android-design-support-library.html

1 Like