Android 2.0 Discussion

@Benji, if you insist on quoting out of context, I think this dialog need go no further. The truth of the matter is, I said that I had “high hopes that at least some of the issues discussed … would be addressed.” Realistic or not, the ST team obviously feels like they fixed something. I’m simply offering my perspective, which you don’t happen to agree with. So be it.

How have I quoted out of context in the slightest? :smiley:

The rest of what you said makes no sense and I who said I disagree with your perspective entirely? You? Of course ST fixed something otherwise they wouldn’t have a new version number and it is unrealistic to expect fixes to even some of the issues that have been mentioned in six days.

I can only assume you don’t code otherwise you’d have a much better understanding and perspective of what’s possible and what it takes sometimes to make what may seem like even the smallest change to you. Don’t take offense to any of this, at not point was this my intention but you posted unrealistic expectations on an open forum, I just pointed it out for others before they may have taken it on board as being correct.

Nobody forced them to release any one of these, let alone all 3 at the same time!(well, unless, as I speculate only, Samsung made them do it on the exact day of the IFA keynote… I don’t believe in “coincidence”).

Regardless, Jeff Hagins explained their bug tolerance strategy today and promised frequent iteration of incremental new releases instead of big ones.

I think there’s a better middle-ground as I feel that risk management with frequent releases erodes due to QA testing fatigue. The pressure is on to release every cycle, even if there wasn’t sufficient time to test or if the changes don’t really bring enough value to risk regression bugs. But that’s “old school bias”. Nevertheless, despite extensive delays and QA and Beta testing, these V2.0’s have some big issues that are hard for someone with my background to understand; how these could have slipped through, unless they were rushed.

Because we have little control over whether or not we upgrade (on the cloud side, and most folks don’t rollback mobile Apps), exceptional risk management is essential to making sure SmartThings is stable and resilient enough to be trusted by consumers. Everyone will have different tolerance levels of little bugs and showstoppers.

No one suggested the had been although if a company is to survive then continual development is a requirement/‘force’, this also doesn’t change the fact that there were and there are plenty of reasons for it such as the V2 hardware being dependent on the V2 software and vice versa.

I’m not here to defend ST, they get the criticism they deserve but I’m just playing the literal definition of devils advocate and perhaps also free to voice things that may otherwise be unprofessional for ST to do so :wink:

I’ll happily defend the Wink hub even though I hate it! :smiley:

I’m using nova and I have no problem.

Another question re: the Android 2 app. Is there a way to reorder the Routines that appear in the widget?

thanks,
-alg

2 Likes

@alg - I have SmartThings 2.0 installed on my Galaxy S6 edge running the lasted 5.1.1 OH6 with Nova Launcher and everything seems to work fine. I did not recall adding the ST widget but it is there on one of my secondary screens and it updates fine however I have never used it.

@johnconstantelo - it appears that the 2 bug fix releases since my post have addressed these issues. I was finally able to sort things without a crash! Yay for ST!

1 Like

Ok I don’t understand why the two apps are so different. I created the device using documented features yet the results are completely different.

Here are screenshots from left to right (iOS, Android Device, Chrome(arcWelder)

1 Like

They are listed in alphabetical order, so if you add numbers in front of your routines, they should be listed in the order you like. E.G

1. goodbye
  2. open garage door
  3. whatever you want to run
1 Like

Brilliant… falls under the category of “why didn’t I think of that?”.
Thanks!

Anyone having issues with push notifications? I have them turned off in a bunch of smartapps and am still getting notifications. The kids aren’t thrilled…

@byoung,

I ran into notifications coming from motion sensors, even though I never set up notifications for them in the Motion Dashboard (I tapped on it, but I never set anything up). I discovered a child smartapp (aka Installed Smart App Children) associated to the parent smartapp called “Motion Alerts”. I found that via the IDE and by going to the device, and clicking on the “In Use By” SmartApp.

Deleting the problem area in the Motion Dashboard and adding it back in - skipping the option for notification set up - resolves the notification spamming issue.

1 Like
  • Allow the rooms functionalty to be nested. In other words, I want
    the the MBR to be in the Upstairs to be in the House. Devices can go
    in all/none/one. Now I can put my thermostat on the 2nd floor in the
    House, Upstairs, and MBR, while a motion sensor can be in the MBR
    only. This will also require allowing devices to be associated with
    multiple rooms.

• Allow devices and routines to be “hidden” from the mobile app. Would
    take one “Show hidden devices” setting, and one “Hide Device” setting
    in all devices.

• Bring back dashboards, allow them to be configurable like rooms.

1 Like

@bridaus At some point, there was an option in the upper dot menu for things “Add a Set”. This did disappear though with 2.0.2. Wondering what was all that about.

Interesting tidbit, hmm. Still think I want nested rooms. Not sets. :smile:

So, you need a house! :wink: or rather couple of them!

1 Like

Add to my list: Android widgets for toggling switches.

1 Like

There is currently an Android Widget available on Lollipop for controlling your Hello Home modes…

Not quite the same, I already use it. Device toggles. Probably could do with Tasker, or DO, but native ST would be better.

1 Like