Android 2.0 Discussion

Impacts of testing out 2.0 version: I have two devices (one phone, one tablet) still running v1.7 of the SmartThings app. If I upgrade one of them to v2.0, will it impact the v1.7 app? In particular, installing v2.0 will force the install of the new Smart Home Monitor smartapp, right? And would it disable other smartapps? I’d like to test drive v2.0, but not if it’s going to mess up the v1.7 setup.

No… I have had both on different devices without issue.

2 Likes

Although not the case* with the current mobile App version 2 and version 1.7.6, at any point in time the underlying API/server functions that the App uses to query and control your SmartThings is likely to have certain functions deprecated and then removed. Unfortunately in SaaS cloud based products, the front & back-ends are related and thus the option of indefinitely deferring upgrades is not feasible.

*Even though version 2.0.0 and version 1.7.6 are both generally compatible (so far), we already know that though your old Installed “Dashboard Solution SmartApps” will continue to exist if you upgrade, those implied SmartApps are no longer offered anywhere in version 2 for additional instance installation. Disappointing.

After reading this, I went ahead and upgraded one of my devices. Not entirely true on the impacts – if you use the v2.0 app and define Rooms with devices, those changes will be reflected back in the v1.7 app as new groupings. The Smart Home Monitor app also gets automatically reflected back into the v1.7 app.

My first impression of the dimmer controls are that they are ridiculously bad.

I have LED lights on several ZWave dimmers and like them below 10%, these little circle controls are close to impossible to use.

Also: now that things are in list form, they are even harder to navigate to. Have use guys tried using this as an app? What about better scene controls? I’d like to be able to set scenes easily, but it remains the best way is to write code and attach it to a virtual button. Kind of ridiculous at this point.

What about android widgets to toggle lights? The hello home widget is a good start, but I can’t set dimmers low enough and I can just put a button for a light toggle.

1 Like

#WARNING #StupidRookyQuestion

I see all these posts, thread,complaints about Android 2.0 , yet I can’t find it. Google Play has 1.76 released on 9/3 and 1mobile market ( for sideloading on Kindle) has 1.75 released 7-28 . Am I just missing something somewhere ? Granted I can’t actually do anything until the new hub arrives ,but I would like to be able to at least know where to download the app. Was the APK posted somewhere for direct download and I just haven’t stumbled across it yet ?

the playStore already has the 2.0 version since a few days ago, if u cant see it maybe your account is from a country wher it wasnt realesed?

Well not unless it wasn’t released in the US. I just checked again and it shows 1.76 release date 9-3-15. So I thought maybe the version number was wrong

What is your Android OS version?

4.1 on tablet , 4.4 on phones, but was actually looking on Google play website, not through the phone app.

Here you go

Anyone else not getting ANY push notifications? I’m not sure if it was the update that did it or not, but I don’t get any notifications on Android or iOS. Maybe something in the architecture of the app changed and I need to select an option somewhere?

OKay, that’s the one I downloaded already ( but can’t use until hub gets here) . It just said 1.76 not 2.0

Hey I started off saying it was a stupid question.
As long as I know I did get the right version I’ll pull the apk and sideload it onto Kindles

I don’t think it’s a stupid question. Under the version description on Google play. It says “Varies with device”. So 1.76 could be the one you are getting depending on the device you are using to download.

I had this same issue. After setting up contact book and then going into each app and selecting the proper contacts all my pushes are working correctly now.

Is anyone using Nova Launcher, specifically on Android 5.1? I can’t use the ST App v2.0 for more than about 30 seconds without it crashing. Recently I discovered if I switch back to the native Android launcher, the ST app doesn’t crash.

Before I blow away and reinstall Nova Launcher to see if that helps, I was wondering if anyone else is using Nova and either seeing the same thing, or not. I’ve been using Nova Launcher for years, this is the first time I’ve seen it crash an app.
thanks,
-alg

Wouldn’t that only deal with SMS? I can see the events in the logs, the app just doesn’t alert .

No, once you set up the contact book and then go into an app you will see that you can select your contact(s) for push and/or text.

Anyone else on hub V2 (or V1 for that matter) having issues with the app constantly crashing?
Am I special or what?
–attempting device sort in a room: crash
–opening details on devices: crash
–exiting room, selecting another room: mostly crash
–scrolling any list before icons/images are loaded: pause/hang/crash…

1 Like

–attempting device sort in a room: crash always
–opening details on devices: crash occasionally
–exiting room, selecting another room: haven’t seen this
–scrolling any list before icons/images are loaded: often see it pause/lag